World’s fastest and quickest McLarens
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reactions: TurboUp

·
Registered
2019 720S MO
110 Posts
That's awesome. Will it be E85 only or flex fuel ? I run E85 in my previous car and I liked it alot. I'd take E85 hands down vs dealing with meth injection

·
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Are those gains with supporting mods (intake filter, catless DP and exhaust) or just the tune + injector upgrade?

Only the Stage 2 gains shown requires the supporting modification of downpipes. The Stage 1 gains can be achieved with a stock 720S and the tune, injectors, and our injector harness, which are included in the package deal.

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,766 Posts
19 gallon tank , it should get 12-13mpg on E85 so still pretty good range
For some reason, I only get around 15 gallons into my tank. And I don't see 12-13 mpg very often. :) From my reading, you typically get 30% less MPG with E85 (and even worse if you have your foot in it!)

·
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's awesome. Will it be E85 only or flex fuel ? I run E85 in my previous car and I liked it alot. I'd take E85 hands down vs dealing with meth injection
At this time it will not be automated flex fuel that will adapt on its own to your mix and change timing, fueling, boost, etc... However, with live map switching we can set it up so you can change to the map slot that is closest to your ethanol blend.

That's not to say Flex Fuel is something that is out of our realm of custom feature development ;) We base our features off of demand so if a lot of you guys would enjoy a full flex fuel solution please let us know!

Reactions: Racermac

·
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Isn't the gas tank too small to offer usable range on E85?
It is catered more towards the guys who like to run race gas often. You may get a ~30% decrease in gas mileage running E85, but when you can pay $2.50 / gallon for similar performance to a 104 octane race fuel, like MS109 or GT260 Plus, which costs $15-20 / gal, it adds up. As well as the ease of filling up at the pump and not transferring fuel from cans or barrels.

·
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
If you guys can figure out a burnout mode and LC rpms change that would be huge
This is something we are looking in to and have a custom Launch feature 90% done. The end user can adjust launch RPM using the cruise stalk.

However, now that 720S are running bead lock wheels and slicks we are seeing drive line failures already with the stock LC. We are also working on a hard parts solution to sort out those failure points for the guys who are really trying to push deep into 8 second 1/4mile territory and cut routine low 1.4 60' times.

We are also working on custom engine safeties that will trigger a temporary limp mode for a definable amount of time if values pass a safety threshold. The idea behind this is to have user definable redundancies to keep things in check. For example, if a customer were to fill up with pump gas and then run the car on a race gas map slot, the car would generally knock due to over advanced timing for the octane. What this engine safety will do is monitor individual cylinder knock counts and close the throttle if it sees knock counts that are dangerously high or prolonged.

We already have a few safeties working, like boost pressure and differential fuel pressure, on our dev car. This will expand to add knock, oil pressure, oil temp, engine temp, lambda, etc... Even adding in non native sensors like coolant pressure. The safety that is tripped is easily deciphered via M-Tuner so the end user can see what caused the limp mode. Although we have a very strong track record, both literally & figuratively, we wanted customers to have a bit more piece of mind when they start to push these cars a bit harder. Look for this to roll out over the upcoming months.

When it comes to tuning the stock ECU we want to be at the forefront of feature development. If you have any requests for features your feedback is always welcome. We have a running tally in our office of requested features. What you guys request most often is what we typically prioritize. There isn't anything a stand alone can do that our team of engineers can not code to work on the stock ECU. It is simply a matter of development time.

·
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They will be similar to our stage2 MS109 & C16 times which are from the high 3s to the low 4s with <1000 DA. The appeal with E85 is that it is about 1/6th - 1/8th the cost of most 104+ octane quality race fuels. The larger injectors also open the door to running these 720S with upgraded to turbos to their full potential when combined with our custom boost control.

·
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They are quicker, but it is marginal. E85 makes about 20 more whp than our MS109 calibrations. But there are so many underlying variables with each person's 720S that it is hard give specifics.

For those who are curious, power figures can always be found in our map notes.

More details and other dyno plots can be found here

Stage2+ E85

1 - 20 of 40 Posts