McLaren Life banner

141 - 160 of 338 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Not really there is a lot of interest ... but till now they are quiet good to keep Info off the Internet .... it certainly helps that they can test probably all parts on 720s and Senna mules where ppl will not recognize them ...
Agree, but what about build numbers? I’m going to assume they’ll follow the previous super series LT model of 500 coupes and 500 spiders. It may be all the market can absorb at the moment, depending on the price point of course.

Also curious how many Senna owners intend to purchase one considering it will likely drive and perform like a Senna with less downforce - so basically the same on the streets.

·
Registered
139 Posts
That’s the right number I think. Enough for generate ~$750mm of revenue for the company but not dilute the special factor of the car.

·
Registered
316 Posts
That’s the right number I think. Enough for generate ~$750mm of revenue for the company but not dilute the special factor of the car.
1,500 is a lot of cars that will probably have an average price of $500k. Tall order if you ask me.

Lambo is struggling to sell 1,700 SVJs, although it is more expensive - but has a V12.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
1,500 is a lot of cars that will probably have an average price of $500k. Tall order if you ask me.

Lambo is struggling to sell 1,700 SVJs, although it is more expensive - but has a V12.

maybe bc there are already 1200 SV around which even look better and the whole thing is already 9y old ...

·
Registered
316 Posts
maybe bc there are already 1200 SV around which even look better and the whole thing is already 9y old ...
Valid points. I guess we’ll see if 1,500 is the right number but my sense is that educated consumers will not bite because of exclusivity but rather because of the merits of the car itself, which is probably how it should be anyhow.

The 675 sold well because it had both things going for it (at least until rumours of the LT spider were confirmed).

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Valid points. I guess we’ll see if 1,500 is the right number but my sense is that educated consumers will not bite because of exclusivity but rather because of the merits of the car itself, which is probably how it should be anyhow.

The 675 sold well because it had both things going for it (at least until rumours of the LT spider were confirmed).

well now there could still be a HS or R version ofter the LT ... who knows :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
385 Posts
well they don't sell in the numbers BMW intended ... its as simple as that ... did you see the discounts you now get for an i8 for leasing deals (599 Euro p.m 0 down payment) ... for a 175000Euro car that is all but normal
What has that got to do with the question posed or answer I gave? Nothing whatsoever.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
What has that got to do with the question posed or answer I gave? Nothing whatsoever.

that currently the program is moving nowhere ... I can still remember the headlines when BMW planed to have the BMW "i cars program" as a new big green devision with its own sales rooms and full line up within some years ... not that there is much left of this right now

·
Registered
385 Posts
that currently the program is moving nowhere ... I can still remember the headlines when BMW planed to have the BMW "i cars program" as a new big green devision with its own sales rooms and full line up within some years ... not that there is much left of this right now
That is true. BMW lost courage years ago regarding their e-programme. And thereby lost their early lead.

Also true that they massively over-produced i8, leading to high depreciation and discounting. Now where have we seen that before :(

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
That is true. BMW lost courage years ago regarding their e-programme. And thereby lost their early lead.

Also true that they massively over-produced i8, leading to high depreciation and discounting. Now where have we seen that before :(
the i8 also has the problem that its price lvl put it around a R8 or Huracan while even a Tesla model 3 performance will significantly beat it around track and costs around a third

·
Registered
385 Posts
the i8 also has the problem that its price lvl put it around a R8 or Huracan while even a Tesla model 3 performance will significantly beat it around track and costs around a third
That misses the point of the i8. It was never intended/designed to be a very high performance car. As is evident from its 1.5L 3 cyl engine, narrow wheels and small brakes.

i8 design brief was to be light, economical, reasonably high performance hybrid. It hits that mark perfectly and is an excellent GT car.

Putting a Tesla Model 3 in the same sentence as Huracan/R8 is odd. How can you even start to compare these cars? Apart from R8/Huracan, all the cars you are comparing are chalk and cheese.

Anyway, this is all serious thread drift...

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
That misses the point of the i8. It was never intended/designed to be a very high performance car. As is evident from its 1.5L 3 cyl engine, narrow wheels and small brakes.

i8 design brief was to be light, economical, reasonably high performance hybrid. It hits that mark perfectly and is an excellent GT car.

Putting a Tesla Model 3 in the same sentence as Huracan/R8 is odd. How can you even start to compare these cars? Apart from R8/Huracan, all the cars you are comparing are chalk and cheese.

Anyway, this is all serious thread drift...
well look wise the i8 and also from its whole 2 seater layout is a sports car, it does not look too far away from cars like an R8 or Huracan if leave the engine concept out ... narrow tires are a must to safe energy. However it also should be compared to sports cars in its price range ... the 3 cylinder engine is just a strange idea to make it work without electric grid support and boost its range... its neither meat nor fish ...

I only take the model 3 as a pure electric car which also is not meant to work as high performance car - but even against this much cheaper car the expensive i8 is not performing too well ... this has nothing to do with design or anything its just that the concept somehow does not really do much, very similar to the VW XL1

btw right about the thread drift ... anyway there are no LT news thats probably the reason why such things happen ;)

·
Registered
316 Posts
I gotta say, I'm really interested I'm what a 765LT will look like and how it will perform. I've had a number of BMWs and I couldn't care less what they're doing.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
750 Coupes and 750 Spiders is the word.
Well Mclaren have had quite a let's say flexible approach to counting as far as their supposed limited edition cars are concerned. I'd consider that there would be more than 1500 cars if I were you and build numbers were a factor...

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
1500 is too many- way too many. My dealer assured me allocation and I know he can do that with those numbers. It’s hard to plunk down $500k at msrp and take a $150k beating on a newIsh 720s with a $370k sticker (a year from now) just to know that the LT will do the same due to the high production numbers. Think $220k trade in value on the 720 and having to come out of pocket Another $280k to buy an LT only to lose another $150k in 2 years. Basically the out of pocket cash differential between the two cars is going to be more than a spare 2019 720s. It seems all but guaranteed the incoming Mac will depreciate more than the big lambo SVJ and those are already down $120k at wholesale. The thing better look and perform at some unimaginable level. Frankly, if mclaren can’t get their arms around their depreciation, I’m out. THe depreciation on a 720s is worse than its peers and continues to pace the 650s’ swan dive. Disappointing.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
1500 is too many- way too many. My dealer assured me allocation and I know he can do that with those numbers. It’s hard to plunk down $500k at msrp and take a $150k beating on a new 720s just to know that the LT will do the same due to the high production numbers. Think $220k trade in value on the 720 and having to come out of pocket $280k to buy an LT only to lose another $150k in 2 years. Basically the out of pocket cash differential between the two cars is going to be more than a spare 2019 720s. The thing better look and perform at some unimaginable level. Frankly, if mclaren can’t get their arms around their depreciation, I’m out.
well honestly no one is forced to buy a new one if they don't want individual MSO spec ... its debatable if one needs the car at release if you already have a 720s or just wait and get a used one later ... performance wise I guess it will be more than halfway to the Senna from the 720s ... maybe even at 75-80% Senna coming from 720s ...

·
Registered
444 Posts
Apparently the exhausts outlets are in similar location but there are 4 of them on the LT which sounds a bit contradictory to saving weight.

141 - 160 of 338 Posts