McLaren Life banner

41 - 60 of 338 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Mr Flewitt's musings that he would like to do what Porsche have done with the recent GT cars ie non numbered sounds like he really hasn't grasped it...... the mooted 750 units coupe and 750 units spider for the 7XXLT will likely prove to be too many from the depreciation perspective.
Those of us who have taken the new car 720S hit are being given first dibs on the 7XXLT but having spunked £100+K so far on the 720 it will take proper man maths to justify the LT.
Wait, how are you down so much? I'm looking at a nice spec car in the UK that said it had an MSRP of 200K GBP.

How much are the MSRP of these cars now?

·
Registered
479 Posts
How are you down so much? Didn't you buy yours less than a year ago? Brexit/economy?

Most 2018 (2 years old) now in the US are around $260-270K, so that's more like 60-75K depending on spec. That's nearly half of 100K GBP and didn't you buy yours only like a year ago and not on day 1?
How are you down so much? Didn't you buy yours less than a year ago? Brexit/economy?

Most 2018 (2 years old) now in the US are around $260-270K, so that's more like 60-75K depending on spec. That's nearly half of 100K GBP and didn't you buy yours only like a year ago and not on day 1?
It's the UK market, bought mine new May 2018 for £250K done 10K miles, worth about £150K unfortunately, by the time the LT comes out I will doubtlessly be up to 15K miles and the car will be worth even less !
McLaren massively oversupplied the 720 in the UK, lots of speculators bought them thinking they would cash in, there are about 465 X 720S registered in the UK, not enough demand for this many until the price gets lower.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The performance of the upcoming breed of all electric super cars in 4-6 years is going to be so epic that all ICE performance cars with that as the outcome will seem silly. What’s important is the soul and emotion from an ICE car. Mclaren must deliver that with the 7xxLT or it will depreciate like a rock. Even then, the economy can turn south and it may due so anyhow. The 720S is such an amazing platform, however, that turned up to 11 it has the potential to be the greatest road going performance car ever produced IF it’s done right.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
It's the UK market, bought mine new May 2018 for £250K done 10K miles, worth about £150K unfortunately, by the time the LT comes out I will doubtlessly be up to 15K miles and the car will be worth even less !
McLaren massively oversupplied the 720 in the UK, lots of speculators bought them thinking they would cash in, there are about 465 X 720S registered in the UK, not enough demand for this many until the price gets lower.
Man, if these were LHD I'd be all over one! Steal of car at that price.

·
Registered
391 Posts
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. 675LT’s were going for premiums initially, now they’re at 50% MSRP and falling because there is no buyer demand. 600LT’s were hyped, now dealers are sitting on multiple units of Coupe and Spiders with heavy discounts offered. Nearly every 675LT owner and most 720s owners are claiming all how bad they want a 7xxLT. No question, it will be a sick car with more carbon, more HP, a few less lbs, and a heavy price premium. The real question will be what makes you think it will not do what the 675LT and 600LT are proving to do when McLaren then comes out with the 800s.
I somewhat agree with you, but not entirely.

You are right about 675LT dropping. The reason they dropped so much though is that the 720S is just too good. It is a quantum leap forwards in virtually every area.

600LT is not very relevant though. Not only is it a Sports series, but McLaren messed up badly by making it limited production period, not numbers (like 675LT). They won't make that mistake with the 765LT.

The next Super Series car will of course beat the 765LT again, and likely dramatically so. But the key difference is that it will be a hybrid. So the 765LT will have the unique position of being the last combustion LT.

I reckon that will help residuals. Somewhat like with the 458 being the last NA V8 being highly sought after.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
You are right about 675LT dropping. The reason they dropped so much though is that the 720S is just too good. It is a quantum leap forwards in virtually every area.
Nonsense. The 675s are dropping due to being oversupplied right from the get go, just like pretty much every modern McLaren road car and had started from a much higher point than the 650s. Having held reasonably well initially was already somewhat of an outlier.

The 720 might be faster but it is absolutely not the reason why the 675s are dropping. If it was so good as you claim (and really it's not as I'd never swap a 675 for a 720) that it's the main reason why 675s are being hard hit, 720 residuals would be better. They aren't, in fact they are terrible here in the UK.

P.S and 750 765LTs for both coupes and spiders plus undoubtedly various XP, PP and specials, 'limited production' is something that will loosely apply to the P14R.

·
Registered
272 Posts

600LT is not very relevant though. Not only is it a Sports series, but McLaren messed up badly by making it limited production period, not numbers (like 675LT). They won't make that mistake with the 765LT.

The next Super Series car will of course beat the 765LT again, and likely dramatically so. But the key difference is that it will be a hybrid. So the 765LT will have the unique position of being the last combustion LT.

I reckon that will help residuals. Somewhat like with the 458 being the last NA V8 being highly sought after.
I think what you’re seeing is a over supply of great cars for the first time that I’ve seen, and I’m only 50. Mclaren has started a HP war, and pushed Ferrari to build along with others. Choices all the MAC variants, Porsche released GT3RS, GT2RS, and GT3. Post 458 you have 488’s sitting all over cheap now Pista, and new F cars post Pista. Lambo’s are all over cheap.

The actually traded my 458 at the right time, and they are dropping too ....the last V8 hype is over. I actually sold my 458, and picked up a 675LT game changer in performance at a huge discount. Many of these 675’s has 400k MSRP’s deal of the century. Love my 458, but 675 is the sh&T

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Nonsense. The 675s are dropping due to being oversupplied right from the get go, just like pretty much every modern McLaren road car and had started from a much higher point than the 650s. Having held reasonably well initially was already somewhat of an outlier.

The 720 might be faster but it is absolutely not the reason why the 675s are dropping. If it was so good as you claim (and really it's not as I'd never swap a 675 for a 720) that it's the main reason why 675s are being hard hit, 720 residuals would be better. They aren't, in fact they are terrible here in the UK.

P.S and 750 765LTs for both coupes and spiders plus undoubtedly various XP, PP and specials, 'limited production' is something that will loosely apply to the P14R.
I think the only real reason at this point of time and the current supply situation with nearly every modern sportscar including the 750LT and excluding some multimillion super limited hypercars is how much you want an individual spec ... if that is not important to you I would say just wait for the right prices ... the times of cars keeping their value or increasing are mostly over for everything that is produced in the 100s if not 1000s ...

Reactions: Mikeyb

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
And another point. In the USA market Porsche and Ferrari were applying dealer markups to the ‘limited’ supply performance plus cars.
McLaren dealers that I’m familiar with did not markup the cars. Not sure that it made much difference whether one suffered a dealer markup or a higher depreciation rate ... ?

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
And another point. In the USA market Porsche and Ferrari were applying dealer markups to the ‘limited’ supply performance plus cars.
McLaren dealers that I’m familiar with did not markup the cars. Not sure that it made much difference whether one suffered a dealer markup or a higher depreciation rate ... ?
I would rather take the depreciation ... at least does not feel like getting blackmailed ...

Reactions: eMcL

·
Registered
1,782 Posts

It's really not that sought after though and prices go down down down. Also, hybrid thus far has history of being highly desirable. Look at P1, LF, and 918 -- all hybrids. There's no indication that ICE-only is more desirable.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If you talk to US dealers you’ll realize otherwise. Fact of the matter, many customers don’t know the ins and outs of Sports versus Super. They come in, want the latest and see 2020 LT cars, that are the same price or less, full warranty, brand new and attractive payments and are choosing those cars over 675LT cars. While those of us who browse forums on occasion know the specialness of the hydraulic suspension, active aero, 500 unit totals of the 675 - many do not. Dealers would rather sell a new unit than a consigned 675LT as well. If you think a second LT based car that’s newer than the previous one just because it’s not in the same Series is not having an impact your are mistaken. Many McLaren customers have gone between Sport and Super Series cars, it’s nowhere near the separation of the Ultimate Series tier.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
If you talk to US dealers you’ll realize otherwise. Fact of the matter, many customers don’t know the ins and outs of Sports versus Super. They come in, want the latest and see 2020 LT cars, that are the same price or less, full warranty, brand new and attractive payments and are choosing those cars over 675LT cars. While those of us who browse forums on occasion know the specialness of the hydraulic suspension, active aero, 500 unit totals of the 675 - many do not. Dealers would rather sell a new unit than a consigned 675LT as well. If you think a second LT based car that’s newer than the previous one just because it’s not in the same Series is not having an impact your are mistaken. Many McLaren customers have gone between Sport and Super Series cars, it’s nowhere near the separation of the Ultimate Series tier.
Well I have now been in the US for nearly 2 months and drove around here 8000 miles ... from what I recently see and and also saw on many trips before is that its nearly irrelevant what Mclaren or other exotic car you would get for looks and driving ... neither the 570s nor the 600LT/675LT and certainly not the 720s would in any way get stretched on most of the roads here - so that is completely down to personal taste ... additionally I would also say that when compared to Europe (southern Germany, Austria Northern Italy, greater London or Paris and Switzerland) all of these cars are so rare sights (even if on paper 30-40% of the worlds production go to the US) that the effect of seeing one to the casual bystander or at a good hotel/restaurant is kind of equal with only some petrolhead knowing the differences ... it is just not like in some EU cities where really every 3rd car parked on high street is a Porsche 911 or more ...

From my personal taste I would as only Mclaren ALWAYS buy a 720s coupe over a 600LT or 675LT for its everyday usability and technical superiority but the later 2 would make a good choice for 2nd car especially in their spider variants ...

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
I think the only real reason at this point of time and the current supply situation with nearly every modern sportscar including the 750LT and excluding some multimillion super limited hypercars is how much you want an individual spec ... if that is not important to you I would say just wait for the right prices ... the times of cars keeping their value or increasing are mostly over for everything that is produced in the 100s if not 1000s ...
My thoughts entirely... i do wonder how much i value you volcano rather than mclaren orange stitching... increasingly high price to pay... ,this applies across all manufacturers to be honest though..

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've only just read most of the post in this topic. Interesting to see that it almost all seems to be about value/depreciation. Nothing on the car itself... (I today learned that it will be a 750LT)

My 2 cents: all expensive cars depreciate like $#& with very very few, very limited production, exceptions. Regardless of the brand...
I bought my Mclaren to enjoy it and I accept that I will have to take a massive hit if I want to sell it again.

Reactions: ffforever

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I've only just read most of the post in this topic. Interesting to see that it almost all seems to be about value/depreciation. Nothing on the car itself... (I today learned that it will be a 750LT)

My 2 cents: all expensive cars depreciate like $#& with very very few, very limited production, exceptions. Regardless of the brand...
I bought my Mclaren to enjoy it and I accept that I will have to take a massive hit if I want to sell it again.

Why do you wonder? ... more or less its an open secret what Mclaren will do and how a LT of the 720s might look (plus maybe some gimmick like a freak wing we don't expect) ... Its also no secret, that they sandbag the 720s with their tyre choice so that the performance gain will likely look more extreme than it really is ... I fully expect the car to be 2-3 sec faster on most sub 2min tracks and likely 15-20 sec faster on the NS (which means Manthey GT2rs and SVJ times at least) ... other than that it will basically still be a 720s with 100kg less 30-50hp more, more df, more cf and less comfort for 50-80k more base price than the regular 720s with some even more expensive MSO options that the 720s did not get (think cf louvers, Senna Seats, snorkel ...)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Why do you wonder? ... more or less its an open secret what Mclaren will do and how a LT of the 720s might look (plus maybe some gimmick like a freak wing we don't expect) ... Its also no secret, that they sandbag the 720s with their tyre choice so that the performance gain will likely look more extreme than it really is ... I fully expect the car to be 2-3 sec faster on most sub 2min tracks and likely 15-20 sec faster on the NS (which means Manthey GT2rs and SVJ times at least) ... other than that it will basically still be a 720s with 100kg less 30-50hp more, more df, more cf and less comfort for 50-80k more base price than the regular 720s with some even more expensive MSO options that the 720s did not get (think cf louvers, Senna Seats, snorkel ...)
It'll be hard to get 100kg out of the LT this time around. Maybe 50kg at most.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
It'll be hard to get 100kg out of the LT this time around. Maybe 50kg at most.
Depends where you start ... already quiet a difference between lightest possible 720s and average spec one ... add carpet delete, cf doors, Senna seats less insulation and cf wheels plus titanium exhaust plus cf Diffusor and you are likely there ...

·
Registered
98 Posts
I don't count stuff such as A/C delete, lighter wheels, less insulation, etc. as anyone can do the same to a regular 720S. The factory has to put in real effort to do what we can't do ourselves. Even the 600LT isn't 100kg lighter when you add back the non Senna seats, a/c, etc. So the best the factory can do that we can't would be 50kg.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I don't count stuff such as A/C delete, lighter wheels, less insulation, etc. as anyone can do the same to a regular 720S. The factory has to put in real effort to do what we can't do ourselves. Even the 600LT isn't 100kg lighter when you add back the non Senna seats, a/c, etc. So the best the factory can do that we can't would be 50kg.

well but that is the same with the 650s/675LT than, bc most weight saving comes from the wheels/carpet delete/rotors/titanium exhaust and seats ... same with cars like GT3 vs GT3rs and so on ... McLaren are on average the lightest in their respective classes by quiet a bit anyway if you compare them to similar cars from Porsche/Lamborghini/Ferrari/AM ...

41 - 60 of 338 Posts