McLaren Life banner

321 - 338 of 338 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
765LT Spider will be on my want list.

One dealer asked for deposit another said no need wait til Geneva but now there is no Geneva. Fingers crossed my Senna earns an LT allocation as it may be the end of ICE.
If it's about hp and speed the next gen will have much more performance - Senna after a few drives is plenty and LT will be close enough to never desire more with battery tech.

Despise battery tech in an exotic - if I don't receive an LT a nice spider will be just fine the difference is more about the limited edition specifying etc.
Own a few 7-800hp cars the acceleration level is close to being more work than enjoyment.
I don't think the next generation super series will be completely electrified . The next venture is hybrid electric assist like the 918 intended to improve acceleration. I'd give it 5 or 6 more years before they all go electric.

·
Registered
2020 720 Spider
146 Posts
I don't think the next generation super series will be completely electrified . The next venture is hybrid electric assist like the 918 intended to improve acceleration. I'd give it 5 or 6 more years before they all go electric.
I'm pretty sure the McLaren CEO already stated this. EV will not hold up to track duty, so the next Super Series (and all McLarens starting with the 680ps Sport Series next year) will be HYBRID. Full EV is a LONG ways away. Battery tech just isn't there yet for a track based street car.

·
Registered
2020 720 Spider
146 Posts
Ferrari F8 is better than Pista - believe both being produced at the same time.
I've heard the specs and performance on both are very similar. Perhaps the F8 is a better day to day car, but the Pista is more of an LT car and better on track. But I've heard they are very close.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Agree but any battery in an exotic isn't for me including 918 - softens the car adds weight etc.
There is nothing exotic about a battery.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
I've heard the specs and performance on both are very similar. Perhaps the F8 is a better day to day car, but the Pista is more of an LT car and better on track. But I've heard they are very close.
At almost half the price IMO F8 is the better car - add equal tires and who knows.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
At almost half the price IMO F8 is the better car - add equal tires and who knows.
You'll only find that out when you sell it. Look at the difference in price between a 360 CS and a F430, a Scud and a 458, a Speciale and a 488...

F8 is a facelift and it's going to drop in value a lot. Pista has at least the aura of being "limited" even if it was identical to the F8 in every mechanical way. We'll have to wait and see, but I can't see how an F8 won't tank in price given the soft exotic market and competition in that segment.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Agree F8 is not a new design it’s extension of the 458. Pista will always be special. I’ve purchased one Ferrari and got a new F8 allocation and I’m not special so that tells you they need to unload them. Super cars will be a dime a dozen with all the supply and now 3k off the DOW. Just watch the show:)

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,236 Posts
yea supercars are being kill from up top and below. From below you have Tesla and corvette and the NSX and GTR etc. From up top, new entrants like McLaren, 'egg, SCG, etc. Over supply. Only Ferrari has enough demand that they at least have some attempt at balancing supply/demand, but there's still a glut, and you have to play their game of musical Ferrari chairs FAST now, and dump your early F8 while there is still demand and move off to the next one.... letting the pleab'rich fight over the rest of the depreciation.

I see prices on this being polarized. I also think you need to produce less than 200 cars moving forward in order to have any chance of maintaining value longer term.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just received request for deposit for P14R 765LT from my dealer. I asked about production numbers and he said at least 765 coupes and spider maybe less. Would have been better if it was kept at 500 each tbh but not at least as 1000. Its clear the spider isn't selling as well as the coupe in normal 720s form.
Elva not as many being produced
Cant wait for reveal! hope roofscoop is optional and upwards facing exhaust ?
And its coupe for me!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just received request for deposit for P14R 765LT from my dealer. I asked about production numbers and he said at least 765 coupes and spider maybe less. Would have been better if it was kept at 500 each tbh but not at least as 1000. Its clear the spider isn't selling as well as the coupe in normal 720s form.
And its coupe for me!

The same exhaust pipe as 600LT?

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #332
The same exhaust pipe as 600LT?
No certainly not ...as the rumor goes it will somehow have 4 straight pipes in a line ... don’t think we will see top exhausts again on any Mclaren car soon ... there seem to have been quiet some issues with it from the regulatory side with noise and emissions, as far as I remember, and Mclaren wants to avoid this in the future ... that’s also why the ELVA got these 4 pipes were the 2 top ones only work in high RPM ...

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
You'll only find that out when you sell it. Look at the difference in price between a 360 CS and a F430, a Scud and a 458, a Speciale and a 488...

F8 is a facelift and it's going to drop in value a lot. Pista has at least the aura of being "limited" even if it was identical to the F8 in every mechanical way. We'll have to wait and see, but I can't see how an F8 won't tank in price given the soft exotic market and competition in that segment.
Own 16M 355k msrp and Speciale 409k msrp both near 10% of msrp but don't buy to sell.
Pista went up another 100+ - nothing special about the Pista and they are for sale everywhere even LE Pista Challenge paint cars are 50k off msrp.
Scud Stradale 675LT 599HGTE F12 all around 200k - Pista will go there too and those are low mileage examples.
In n out like fast food restaurant is too much brain damage - my point was for 1/2 the price F8 is a lot of car when compared to the Pista. I would rather have an F8 at 1/2 the price than a Pista and lose 100k vs 250k over 3-4 years and invest the other 200+ :) just my.02

McLaren 700+ of the 7XXLT - that's a lot of production.

·
Registered
478 Posts
And its coupe for me!
Is this because by the time the 720S spider came out it was becoming very apparent that there was massive depreciation on the 720 and Mclaren giving big discounts and hugely subsidised leaase (type) deals has put off many from shelling out for new with teh smart money buying used or ex demo.... I do wonder if the same is going to happen with the 765LT ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
No certainly not ...as the rumor goes it will somehow have 4 straight pipes in a line ... don’t think we will see top exhausts again on any Mclaren car soon ... there seem to have been quiet some issues with it from the regulatory side with noise and emissions, as far as I remember, and Mclaren wants to avoid this in the future ... that’s also why the ELVA got these 4 pipes were the 2 top ones only work in high RPM ...
I think it's the same as McLaren F1

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Is this because by the time the 720S spider came out it was becoming very apparent that there was massive depreciation on the 720 and Mclaren giving big discounts and hugely subsidised leaase (type) deals has put off many from shelling out for new with teh smart money buying used or ex demo.... I do wonder if the same is going to happen with the 765LT ?
Maybe in the UK, but not so much in the US as far as I could tell regarding prices. I've always kept an eye on them in case the perfect spec came up, and prices seemed to have pretty reasonably paced declines over the last 2.5 years.

I think the market for exotics is just soft in general. The market changed, tastes changed. Exotic fatigue set in with countless new exotics every year too. I've noticed all forums quieter, some seemingly died over night, YT's don't really seem as prevalent (though still obnoxious). Some YTer even seem to have disappeared entirely.

The market has changed, for better or worse. I think it's a great time to be an enthusiast who just isn't emotionally attached. Great prices on cars you want, but aren't desperate for.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Maybe in the UK, but not so much in the US as far as I could tell regarding prices. I've always kept an eye on them in case the perfect spec came up, and prices seemed to have pretty reasonably paced declines over the last 2.5 years.

I think the market for exotics is just soft in general. The market changed, tastes changed. Exotic fatigue set in with countless new exotics every year too. I've noticed all forums quieter, some seemingly died over night, YT's don't really seem as prevalent (though still obnoxious). Some YTer even seem to have disappeared entirely.

The market has changed, for better or worse. I think it's a great time to be an enthusiast who just isn't emotionally attached. Great prices on cars you want, but aren't desperate for.
I don't think anything has changed but for Instagram and FB has the majority over forums which has elevated emotions.
All these factories are doubling down raising production / sales adding SUV - Ferrari Lamborghini Mclaren LE's were 500 now 7 - 800.
These factories are doing way better than expected - ordered a Golden Ticket Mustang and was offered 50k over because it has all the options.

What has changed is factories asking 2 - 9m. Lotus Mac Elva K'egg Pininafarina add Bugatti takes it to 9m and sells out which tells me the world had a lot of money to spend and these factories know it.

Agree going back in time / used is the easier way to go - ordering a car waiting and by the time you receive it the next model is out. I think it's way more fun to hold cars than to buy / sell repeat where you actually get to know your car vs feather dust it.

321 - 338 of 338 Posts