McLaren Life banner

221 - 240 of 292 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
If I do it, it would have to be with the roof scoop. But then that also means you have a bunch of carbon which frankly I don’t really want. It’s over done. I’d do a kick ass paint job and a roof scoop and that’s it. But likely you will have to spec it over the top to get the scoop.
Roofscoop if an MSO option will certainly be 25k or more maybe requiring CF roof panels too or sth alike ... probably the MSO front with louvers will also be a 15-20k option that would be in line with previous offerings ...

Other thing I could also see is Senna brake system as cost option and cf wheels ... both of course also not being cheap ...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just saw this 720s based rendering online: View attachment 194833

I guess that is so far the best starting point of what we might see with a future LT version of the 720s.

So what will we probably get?
  • car will be about 70-100kg lighter than 720s
  • engine will have 30-50hp more output nominal maybe even more measured - so very close to Senna level and probably similar while they will underreport the true output ...
Looks and add ons to the 720s:
- car will have bigger and maybe standing ACTIVE wing (render above uses a wing like the 688HS which I find more logical than the very big Senna wing). Since the 720s wing is already much bigger than the 650s one and covering the whole back of the car this seems logical that there will be more here than there was on 675LT

- Front section will have more aero especially the sides (same as 650-675LT and 570s to 600LT). What I don't expect is the front section to have an S Duct like the Pista or Senna, therefore the functionality of the big trunk will remain in place

- Sides will have some skirts added with front and back aero parts like 600LT

- Louvres on the front will probably be an MSO option (priced somewhere around 12-15k)

- Snorkle will be maybe be an MSO option (priced around 30-40k) Question here is how to integrate it into Monocell 2 ???

Most interesting thing will be the back of the car:
Here I expect the most changes. Titanium exhaust which will not be like 600LT but will have tips going upwards, where the 720s has them going straight to the back - these will shoot flames but differently from 600LT.

- back will have more cf bits to the side and more extreme diffusor - not dissimilar to the 600LT

- above mentioned big wing

Interieur: nothing special:

- carpet delete and Senna seats are the only major changes I expect

Lastly we will see new wheels and maybe optional cf wheels from MSO around 25- 35k
I’d rather keep my 19 fistral blue
The scoop is the only think appealing on this one

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don’t see the appeal of a 720S with a body kit. Part of what made the 675LT a triumph was that it looks significantly better than the 650S particularly from the rear. They need to make the 720S better looking, somehow, for people to consider the LT I think.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don’t see the appeal of a 720S with a body kit. Part of what made the 675LT a triumph was that it looks significantly better than the 650S particularly from the rear. They need to make the 720S better looking, somehow, for people to consider the LT I think.
Well I think the 675LT and 600LT look significantly better than their non-LT counterparts. I’m sure the 7xxLT will follow suit, no?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
And they will. What makes you think the LT won't look better than the 720S? Every LT has been better looking so far

·
Registered
64 Posts
I was replying to the image posted by Chris K which essentially looked like a 720S with a body kit of fixed aero parts. Not saying they won’t pull it off!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
I was replying to the image posted by Chris K which essentially looked like a 720S with a body kit of fixed aero parts. Not saying they won’t pull it off!
that one is quiet old ... 2y ago or sth ... not really sure what will remain of that fan rendering, put I know what you are talking about ...

·
Registered
340 Posts
ALL the roof scoop LT cars have held their values significantly better than the non roof scoop cars. Certainly more than enough to offset the cost of the option. At the same time I am doubtful anyone can build a roof scoop 765LT for less than $500K.

As far as the cost, I think MANY here are overly optimistic with the trade differential from their LT. Lets say the base LT is $390K (I'm guessing they will try to keep base MSRP lower than $400K USD). By the time you click the first check box for MSO paint, or any carbon part, you're likely looking at a $450K (or more) purchase. Dealers are offering ~$250K on high option 2019's and~$220k on 2018's. To make the change, current owners are going to stomach the $100-$150K hit for one or two years of usage, and then another $200-$230K. That makes the cost to switch a net $300-370K cost to go from a 720S to a 765LT. When the trades for 720's start to roll in, we'll see another step function drop in current values. Those who care about this precipitous swan dive in values could pre-trade their cars, but there's no avoiding the $300K bottom line impact unless you just stick your head in the sand. Thought of a little differently, its two new 720's of cost. In fact, you can probably buy two used 720s or have a 488 and a 720s and still come out ahead. Whats funny is that some/many will say "its just a cost to play" but if there were put in terms of Opex, depreciation and impaiment to the bottom line of the businesses they were running, they would truly factor the ROI for the marginal improvement.

Will the car look different? sure. Might have four tail pipes, better seats, and more aero. The 675LT looked SIGNIFICANTLY better than the 570s as did the 675 over the 650S. Likely McLaren will follow suit and make me want to rethink all the logic I've employed above. Hopefully my common sense prevails.

No matter what dealers are telling us, McLaren is building too many cars and they are NOT safeguarding values for current owners. This is my second McLaren and likely my last. I may hold on to my 720S for a while, but I'm passing on the allocation that my dealer has promised me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Apparently some dealership reps are in the UK right now for yearly meetings and they are getting the first look at the 765LT before Geneva.

Word is, aero will be somewhat similar to the 600LT in terms of ‘extremeness.’ Meaning it’s not going to have over-the-top Senna type aero. Rumor is also that it will be monstrously quick...to the point that it might upset some Senna owners with just how capable it is. I don’t know if that means faster around a circuit or not but apparently there isn’t much between them. Roof scoop is available.

Again...’rumor’ is It’ll be numbered...700 each. Like the 600LT expect 100kg lighter than a standard 720.

Side note...apparently the new 570 platform will be a v6 hybrid turbo pushing in the neighborhood of 670-680hp and it supposed to be extremely capable and very quick off of the line. Just a guess but I wouldn’t doubt if it’ll give the 720 trouble to 60-80mph.

Again...I don’t claim any inside info, just things that have been told to me from people who have actually seen them in person recently.

Lastly...I agree with the post above about producing too many cars and models too soon. If/when the economy pulls back it could get ugly, even for buyers in this bracket. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
ALL the roof scoop LT cars have held their values significantly better than the non roof scoop cars. Certainly more than enough to offset the cost of the option. At the same time I am doubtful anyone can build a roof scoop 765LT for less than $500K.

As far as the cost, I think MANY here are overly optimistic with the trade differential from their LT. Lets say the base LT is $390K (I'm guessing they will try to keep base MSRP lower than $400K USD). By the time you click the first check box for MSO paint, or any carbon part, you're likely looking at a $450K (or more) purchase. Dealers are offering ~$250K on high option 2019's and~$220k on 2018's. To make the change, current owners are going to stomach the $100-$150K hit for one or two years of usage, and then another $200-$230K. That makes the cost to switch a net $300-370K cost to go from a 720S to a 765LT. When the trades for 720's start to roll in, we'll see another step function drop in current values. Those who care about this precipitous swan dive in values could pre-trade their cars, but there's no avoiding the $300K bottom line impact unless you just stick your head in the sand. Thought of a little differently, its two new 720's of cost. In fact, you can probably buy two used 720s or have a 488 and a 720s and still come out ahead. Whats funny is that some/many will say "its just a cost to play" but if there were put in terms of Opex, depreciation and impaiment to the bottom line of the businesses they were running, they would truly factor the ROI for the marginal improvement.

Will the car look different? sure. Might have four tail pipes, better seats, and more aero. The 675LT looked SIGNIFICANTLY better than the 570s as did the 675 over the 650S. Likely McLaren will follow suit and make me want to rethink all the logic I've employed above. Hopefully my common sense prevails.

No matter what dealers are telling us, McLaren is building too many cars and they are NOT safeguarding values for current owners. This is my second McLaren and likely my last. I may hold on to my 720S for a while, but I'm passing on the allocation that my dealer has promised me.
Well the monetary side is that you basically put a used 350k car against a new 500k or more car ... that there will be a significant gap (220-250k between them) is no wonder ... if you want a smaller gap you need to wait some years so it might close to 140-150k again ... now using a very good but not hot new 720S to buy a hot new limited 765LT is probably a financial decision which will cost you 100k plus on the 720S and another 100-150k on 765LT within 2 years

·
Registered
340 Posts
Well the monetary side is that you basically put a used 350k car against a new 500k or more car ... that there will be a significant gap (220-250k between them) is no wonder ... if you want a smaller gap you need to wait some years so it might close to 140-150k again ... now using a very good but not hot new 720S to buy a hot new limited 765LT is probably a financial decision which will cost you 100k plus on the 720S and another 100-150k on 765LT within 2 years
Which is why I’ll guess that this will be a tougher sell for many 720s customers. Many of us have been burned by another mclaren with hopes that the 720s MIGHT be different. Prospects of such a market looked promising through mid 2019. Mclaren needs to adjust a lot to keep their customer base:
-fewer cars with each new model. Perhaps rethink track 25 (but I bet that’s an investor mandate)
-improve reliability.
-reduce their second hand warranty costs and ongoing cost to maintain. Porsche and Ferrari kill mclaren here. Lambo doesn’t have much of a warranty but their cars are infinitely more reliable.
-stop with the gestapo-esque big brother tactics with warranty.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Any idea if the 570 replacement will be a BMW TT V6? I also heard that it may be shown at Geneva along with the 765LT, any truth to those rumors?
I don’t know about any connection with BMW but it’s definitely gonna be a v6 hybrid and I doubt we’ll see it in Geneva. I’m curious to see how it affects the used 720 market next year. 3-4 year newer tech etc...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I agree with this...Obviously there will be a certain percentage of people who don’t care and they’ll want the latest greatest thing at any cost. I’ve already seen a number of people take a $100k bath on very lightly used 720’s just to upgrade to the 720 spider. So the same will be true with the 765LT.

I do think it’ll be a little different than the 600LT though...there were some folks who just wouldn’t accept a ‘sport series’ car, so they passed on the 600LT. Which I think is nuts...but to each their own.

221 - 240 of 292 Posts