McLaren Life banner

181 - 200 of 292 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Is the LT going to be revealed at Geneva?

I've pretty much decided to keep the 720S unless the LT really offers some very special. And I'm not even sure what that might be... extra HP will be trivial compared to what an ECU remap can do, 720S is already very light and I won't be pushing a $450k-500k LT on the track to its limits to where I'd appreciate a 50-100kg weight reduction, and I like 'luxury' options like A/C, stereo, parking cameras, etc. I'm sure the LT exhaust will be a big improvement, but not being enthralled with even the 720S sports exhaust, I already installed an Unobtainium titanium catback and downpipes with 300c sport cats, and it now sounds great. Last thing the 720S needs for street use is more power, but once my warranty is up a tune is worth considering.

If I do order an LT, I'd only ge a high spec car w/ roof scoop and would be looking at > $200k on top of my 720S, on a vehicle that will start another heavy depreciation cycle after being purchased at MSRP or near there. The 720S will continue to drop of course but at a lower pace, most of the depreciation has already occurred now that they have been out for 2-1/2 years with wide availability of pre-owned cars, until they eventually plateau.

If the 720S looks a bit plain after seeing the LT (hard to imagine, but I did feel that way about the 570S once I saw the 600LT), I'd add the weave carbon fiber Mansory wing, Vorsteiner side blades, and Novitech "roof scoop" along with a carbon fiber diffuser to make it more interesting, if not more aerodynamically efficient. In a couple years could always sell that and get into the LT or 720S successor once they take their big drop in price after first year or so, with a lower trade up differential.

Ultimately paying full price to get the latest hot car is not something I would normally do ,and it really takes something exceptional for me to pull that trigger. Back in 2017 the 720S did the trick, and I think it's going to be a tough for McLaren to follow that up.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
Is the LT going to be revealed at Geneva?

I've pretty much decided to keep the 720S unless the LT really offers some very special. And I'm not even sure what that might be... extra HP will be trivial compared to what an ECU remap can do, 720S is already very light and I won't be pushing a $450k-500k LT on the track to its limits to where I'd appreciate a 50-100kg weight reduction, and I like 'luxury' options like A/C, stereo, parking cameras, etc. I'm sure the LT exhaust will be a big improvement, but not being enthralled with even the 720S sports exhaust, I already installed an Unobtainium titanium catback and downpipes with 300c sport cats, and it now sounds great. Last thing the 720S needs for street use is more power, but once my warranty is up a tune is worth considering.

If I do order an LT, I'd only ge a high spec car w/ roof scoop and would be looking at > $200k on top of my 720S, on a vehicle that will start another heavy depreciation cycle after being purchased at MSRP or near there. The 720S will continue to drop of course but at a lower pace, most of the depreciation has already occurred now that they have been out for 2-1/2 years with wide availability of pre-owned cars, until they eventually plateau.

If the 720S looks a bit plain after seeing the LT (hard to imagine, but I did feel that way about the 570S once I saw the 600LT), I'd add the weave carbon fiber Mansory wing, Vorsteiner side blades, and Novitech "roof scoop" along with a carbon fiber diffuser to make it more interesting, if not more aerodynamically efficient. In a couple years could always sell that and get into the LT or 720S successor once they take their big drop in price after first year or so, with a lower trade up differential.

Ultimately paying full price to get the latest hot car is not something I would normally do ,and it really takes something exceptional for me to pull that trigger. Back in 2017 the 720S did the trick, and I think it's going to be a tough for McLaren to follow that up.
Geneva 2020 was confirmed by my dealer too.

honestly I feel the same ... I am also unsure about the LT being in any way an improvement for my use chase ...for track use yes, but not for touring ... another thing is that the car might start to look a lot like Porsche’s GT2rs or 991.2 GT3rs which somehow (at least to me) have just no streetcar look anymore but that of a track car ... I am not sure I would really want some wild cf hood, roof scoop, big standing wing car ... at some point things can start looking too extreme for what they are in my opinion (see SVR or AMG GTR Roadster and BS) ... the esthetic of the 720s works well bc it is very sleek and elegantly designed, adding all kind of aero might just destroy that look ... I really have to see the car and decide later...

·
Registered
93 Posts
+1 with the 2 posts above.
Here in Australia I'm sure the upgrade cost from my MY19 coupe is going to be around AUD400K, probably more for a spider, and I can't see the difference between the cars is going to be as great as it was between the 650 and the 675 without encroaching on Senna territory. An aftermarket exhaust and trofeo tyres will probably achieve most of it. One upside is the new car having further warranty but $400K buys a lot of repairs even on a McLaren. Also, as has been said before, the LTs also depreciate, maybe not as fast as a regular model but we can see what has happened to the 675 and they will probably be making an extra 500 of the new car compared with the 675. I'm in disbelief at some misguided speculators here in Australia who were trying to sell delivery km 675 Spiders for 850-950K (about 100-200k above MSRP) 1-2 years after they were released even after low-km cars were coming onto the market below MSRP. Even more limited cars are also depreciating rapidly. There is a Senna with quite a few options and only 88kms for sale in Sydney for AUD1.6M. I believe it was $2.05M without options when new!! If it was any other colour I'd be tempted.

I certainly get the view of buy what you want and enjoy it but even if you can afford it, dropping 400k plus every 2-3 years has gotta hurt. When we see the new LT I'll see if it's worth the pain!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #186 (Edited)
The SS Senna is the LT of the 720s.

no clearly not like this - I would say a Senna shares no more parts with a 720s than a 720s does with a 600LT (really nearly nothing is similar between the 720s and Senna besides some interior stuff ). Whether the engine is really only a tuned 720s one or a another version has not been confirmed yet ...

·
Registered
529 Posts
no clearly not like this - I would say a Senna shares no more parts with a 720s than a 720s does with a 600LT (really nearly nothing is similar between the 720s and Senna besides some interior stuff ). Whether the engine is really only a tuned 720s one or a another version has not been confirmed yet ...
Are you suggesting the possibility that a Senna has a different base engine than a 720S? My understanding is that it's very much a tuned 720S engine (and so is the chassis tub). I just don't see how Mclaren would develop a different engine for a low production # car

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
N
Are you suggesting the possibility that a Senna has a different base engine than a 720S? My understanding is that it's very much a tuned 720S engine (and so is the chassis tub). I just don't see how Mclaren would develop a different engine for a low production # car
No the base is the same shared with every other modern McLaren ever produced beside F1. Question was if it is the same as in the 720s - meaning parts are interchangeable ...

·
Registered
529 Posts
N

No the base is the same shared with every other modern McLaren ever produced beside F1. Question was if it is the same as in the 720s - meaning parts are interchangeable ...
The base used to be a 3.8 liter with twin turbo and for 720S they changed the base to a 4.0 with different turbos, camshafts, etc.. Parts already changed for 720S (up to 41% for the engine I read) and so did the base tub

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
The base used to be a 3.8 liter with twin turbo and for 720S they changed the base to a 4.0 with different turbos, camshafts, etc.. Parts already changed for 720S (up to 41% for the engine I read) and so did the base tub
I know all these, my post above was an answer to another post saying the Senna is the LT version of the 720s which is clearly not the chase ... As I wrote Senna shares probably less parts with 720s than the 720s with the 600LT ... I don't know of any similar parts between the two besides some interior and highly doubt the engine is interchangeable or at least partly interchangeable with a 720s ...

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
Most of it will be the radio+ac delete, which most won’t get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Others will be carpet delete and less sound insulation plus Senna seats and obviously titanium exhaust ... its of course some weight saving but I remember when some ppl here got their Senna that they said they really would have liked 15-20kg more sound insulation for livability

·
Registered
172 Posts
Others will be carpet delete and less sound insulation plus Senna seats and obviously titanium exhaust ... its of course some weight saving but I remember when some ppl here got their Senna that they said they really would have liked 15-20kg more sound insulation for livability
I think Jonny Lieberman mentioned that in one if has mentioned the issue with sound insulation with the Senna in his Instagram stories. The road/tire noise was so loud you could barely hear him talking.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
I think Jonny Lieberman mentioned that in one if has mentioned the issue with sound insulation with the Senna in his Instagram stories. The road/tire noise was so loud you could barely hear him talking.

Not only him, some forum member here too

181 - 200 of 292 Posts