McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 338 Posts

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just saw this 720s based rendering online:

I guess that is so far the best starting point of what we might see with a future LT version of the 720s.

So what will we probably get?
  • car will be about 70-100kg lighter than 720s
  • engine will have 30-50hp more output nominal maybe even more measured - so very close to Senna level and probably similar while they will underreport the true output ...
Looks and add ons to the 720s:
- car will have bigger and maybe standing ACTIVE wing (render above uses a wing like the 688HS which I find more logical than the very big Senna wing). Since the 720s wing is already much bigger than the 650s one and covering the whole back of the car this seems logical that there will be more here than there was on 675LT

- Front section will have more aero especially the sides (same as 650-675LT and 570s to 600LT). What I don't expect is the front section to have an S Duct like the Pista or Senna, therefore the functionality of the big trunk will remain in place

- Sides will have some skirts added with front and back aero parts like 600LT

- Louvres on the front will probably be an MSO option (priced somewhere around 12-15k)

- Snorkle will be maybe be an MSO option (priced around 30-40k) Question here is how to integrate it into Monocell 2 ???

Most interesting thing will be the back of the car:
Here I expect the most changes. Titanium exhaust which will not be like 600LT but will have tips going upwards, where the 720s has them going straight to the back - these will shoot flames but differently from 600LT.

- back will have more cf bits to the side and more extreme diffusor - not dissimilar to the 600LT

- above mentioned big wing

Interieur: nothing special:

- carpet delete and Senna seats are the only major changes I expect

Lastly we will see new wheels and maybe optional cf wheels from MSO around 25- 35k

Reactions: kovalser

·
Registered
837 Posts
A functional roof scoop would be the reason I'd get this car, beyond being limited production and presumably being the final non-hybrid Super Series.

The extra aero, fender louvers, aggressive wing, etc can already be retrofitted to the 720s via aftermarket, although I doubt the aero would be as well balanced as a McLaren factory product. And of course much more HP is already available using software only.

Weight reduction will be a real challenge, as the 720S is already quite lean... if the minimum dry weight of the LT indeed comes in 100kg less than the 720S, I'd bet most of the reduction will be from carbon wheels (relative to the standard cast 720S wheels) and Senna seats (relative to standard 720S power seats) - along with deletion of creature comforts like A/C, stereo, electric steering column, carpeting and leather, etc (all of which may become 'no-cost' options which will add back weight). The 720S active wing mechanism is probably heavy too, so would not be surprised to see it replaced by a fixed carbon wing.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A functional roof scoop would be the reason I'd get this car, beyond being limited production and presumably being the final non-hybrid Super Series.

The extra aero, fender louvers, aggressive wing, etc can already be retrofitted to the 720s via aftermarket, although I doubt the aero would be as well balanced as a McLaren factory product. And of course much more HP is already available using software only.

Weight reduction will be a real challenge, as the 720S is already quite lean... if the minimum dry weight of the LT indeed comes in 100kg less than the 720S, I'd bet most of the reduction will be from carbon wheels (relative to the standard cast 720S wheels) and Senna seats (relative to standard 720S power seats) - along with deletion of creature comforts like A/C, stereo, electric steering column, carpeting and leather, etc (all of which may become 'no-cost' options which will add back weight). The 720S active wing mechanism is probably heavy too, so would not be surprised to see it replaced by a fixed carbon wing.

Don’t think we will see a fixed wing as that would be somehow kind of downgrade from the 720s ... the 688HS had a standing active wing, which is in my view the highest possibility for 720LT as it would also solve the problem with a upward flame shooting titanium exhaust (which the ppl obviously want) that would not work with the current low in body active wing

Reactions: kovalser

·
Registered
480 Posts
I agree with you its going to be hard to shift the weight from the 720S it is already 45kg lighter dry weight than the 650S was.
It is hard to see which components they will change for the REAL weight savings, wheels certainly and seats and as you say a fixed wing would save some but as we know who would want to get rid of the signature air brake (n).

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with you its going to be hard to shift the weight from the 720S it is already 45kg lighter dry weight than the 650S was.
It is hard to see which components they will change for the REAL weight savings, wheels certainly and seats and as you say a fixed wing would save some but as we know who would want to get rid of the signature air brake (n).

Carpet delete and titanium exhaust is also quiet some weight savings ... another thing would be cf doors like on the Senna ...

Reactions: tb993tt

·
Registered
20 Posts
Depending on when the LT actually is announced and delivered, it may be competing with hybrid or electric cars.

My hope is that they give it a bit more power than +30-50. Especially if this is McLaren's last combustion only vehicle.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just saw this 720s based rendering online: View attachment 194833

I guess that is so far the best starting point of what we might see with a future LT version of the 720s.

So what will we probably get?
  • car will be about 70-100kg lighter than 720s
  • engine will have 30-50hp more output nominal maybe even more measured - so very close to Senna level and probably similar while they will underreport the true output ...
Looks and add ons to the 720s:
- car will have bigger and maybe standing ACTIVE wing (render above uses a wing like the 688HS which I find more logical than the very big Senna wing). Since the 720s wing is already much bigger than the 650s one and covering the whole back of the car this seems logical that there will be more here than there was on 675LT

- Front section will have more aero especially the sides (same as 650-675LT and 570s to 600LT). What I don't expect is the front section to have an S Duct like the Pista or Senna, therefore the functionality of the big trunk will remain in place

- Sides will have some skirts added with front and back aero parts like 600LT

- Louvres on the front will probably be an MSO option (priced somewhere around 12-15k)

- Snorkle will be maybe be an MSO option (priced around 30-40k) Question here is how to integrate it into Monocell 2 ???

Most interesting thing will be the back of the car:
Here I expect the most changes. Titanium exhaust which will not be like 600LT but will have tips going upwards, where the 720s has them going straight to the back - these will shoot flames but differently from 600LT.

- back will have more cf bits to the side and more extreme diffusor - not dissimilar to the 600LT

- above mentioned big wing

Interieur: nothing special:

- carpet delete and Senna seats are the only major changes I expect

Lastly we will see new wheels and maybe optional cf wheels from MSO around 25- 35k
I’ve been thinking about what Mclaren would have to do for the upgrade to be worth it. The stock 720 is so capable already and more power isn’t really needed or able to be utilized in most conditions. If they did a wide body for more rubber maybe but I went with widest aftermarket wheel and tire that wouldn’t rub... still breaks loose in almost any situation.

In the same breathe Mclaren is full of surprises. If it got a bunch of senna tech and they lost 100kg (which I think would be a giant challenge), came with roof scoop and other functional go fast bits, then maybe it’s worth taking the depreciation hit on selling a 720 and paying the 450-500k you know the LT will cost.

Otherwise I will just keep the 720 I think.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I believe the cost will be around the price of the spider as there is only so much they can do to the car or it encroaches on the Senna. Also most wont take 150k+ hit to trade their current cars. I'm sure there will be some over spec'd cars but I doubt we see a price more than 10% than than the std. coupes.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I’ve been thinking about what Mclaren would have to do for the upgrade to be worth it. The stock 720 is so capable already and more power isn’t really needed or able to be utilized in most conditions. If they did a wide body for more rubber maybe but I went with widest aftermarket wheel and tire that wouldn’t rub... still breaks loose in almost any situation.

In the same breathe Mclaren is full of surprises. If it got a bunch of senna tech and they lost 100kg (which I think would be a giant challenge), came with roof scoop and other functional go fast bits, then maybe it’s worth taking the depreciation hit on selling a 720 and paying the 450-500k you know the LT will cost.

Otherwise I will just keep the 720 I think.
think i will wait for the 720 replacement in 3 years or so.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will wait as well, any idea what the replacement will be? hybrid?
highly likely only open question regarding this is if they will use the V8TT like in the P1/ Speedtail kind of setup or make a new shared system with the 570s replacement which would likely result in a V6TT being use as ICE component

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
F1 v6 hybrid Reving to 12k please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you want to pay 3m plus for it and wait 2 years more than told with a 50/50 Chance the car you ordered will never arrive, that’s a good wish ;) ... otherwise no F1 engine in a road car ...

·
Registered
674 Posts
No doubt. I’m just wondering out loud if I will be one of them.
I can afford McLarens, but cannot stomach their depreciation! I bought both of mine the same way. Leftovers with full warranty 100K off sticker... though this time, mine was technically owned for less than a year and 900miles. They certified the warranty back to new though and I'm happy with a 374 msrp car for 275 lol. I may consider an LT at full MSRP since they seem to hold value better

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I can afford McLarens, but cannot stomach their depreciation! I bought both of mine the same way. Leftovers with full warranty 100K off sticker... though this time, mine was technically owned for less than a year and 900miles. They certified the warranty back to new though and I'm happy with a 374 msrp car for 275 lol. I may consider an LT at full MSRP since they seem to hold value better
Nice which dealer did ya pick your up from deffinately a nice spec

·
Registered
674 Posts
Nice which dealer did ya pick your up from deffinately a nice spec
Dallas, whom I previously had nothing but bad luck working with in the past. I've heard they really suffered after Chris and a few others left. Management were complete assholes to deal with in the past and with only them left... anyway, they've been replaced. My brother got a red spider and told me it went smoothly. I called and asked about a car I was interested and they made it so easy this time. A few hickups not servicing the car prior to taking it home 300mi away, not having latest software update and does not have the door screens fitted, but they say they will take care of it. I expected the same crap I've gotten before with them and none of it. Just a smooth, good deal..

1 - 20 of 338 Posts