McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have ideas on pads. Ideally want the exact same as OEM.
While i am used to the costs involved in supercar maintenance and accept it the price for pads has me questioning a little.

Im in Australia. Rough quote of $7K for front and rear pads. Seems high.
I want to protect rotors as much as possible so am unsure on aftermarket or other types etc. Pad change not a hard job.
Any views on this??

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yup, for bloody pads. used to do my own pads on my AMG years ago. $300 for the set lol. They were a kind of kevla/carbon dustless aftermarket pad as well. EB brakes from what i remember. completely diff to our situation though. But still...

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you,
crazy when i could get a whole braking setup, disks, callipers, and pads for less the cost of just Mclaren service pads. Getting the shits a little now lol. original pads are AP racing. i understand why they wont supply aftermarket for Mac. I assume Mac have a deal in pace to this effect so i have to pay them $7K for pads that one could probably buy from AP racing vendors for $2K

·
Registered
87 Posts
If you want to protect your rotors on track and have a decent performing road pad then the only choice is Endless. They are used by most UK McLaren trackers as they are superior to Pagids but a bit more money, although they do keep the rotor cooler. UK cost is around £2,000 for a full set

I have no horse in the race but their website is

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
A few things;

720s OEM pad cost isn't much different than the rest of the sport and super series cars cost. (ultimate series is much higher).

Taxes make importing rotors/pads from Australia fairly expensive (as an example in USA; I ordered surface transform rotors but had to pay $400 for import duty/taxes. I purchased them directly from Surface Transforms in the U.K.

If you have to buy the pads from outside the country (OEM or aftermarket), then you are going to be paying much higher then what we do in the States.

Anyone who has tracked 720s/600LT more than a handful of times, knows that the front pads go out quickly.

You have to consider how much you are going to track in order to determine how much money you are going to pump in with the aftermarket rotors/pads and if it is worth it.

I know many, many 720s/600 LT owners who have gone aftermarket. The most affordable option is the Giro discs and Endless or Cobalt pads. They last a very long time (primarily because the pads are thicker (15 mm vs 10 mm (OEM).

I know 4 people who I regularly track with who went with Essex/AP brake kit (vs about 20 who have gone with giro). Essex/AP is a more expensive option but comes with its own calipers. This kit can be used with 600lt/720s/765. The giro kit is interchangeable between 600 and 720s but not 765.

The market is very thin to re-sell the brake kit. Therefore, most will go with the giro set up as it is the most cost effective and a small cost (relatively speaking) to eat if you just throw them away after selling the car.

If you already went through a set of pads then you already are getting hit with the cost as you will have to eventually replace the OEM set when it comes to selling the car, even if you go aftermarket.

Anyone who has spent any time on these forums would know that the pads/rotors go out fast and should have changed to the aftermarket immediately or after the first couple of track days.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did the discussion turn to track use because pads don't generally wear out on ceramics for street use? How many miles (ballpark) could I expect from OEM pads on the street? There are no aftermarket options for street pads in the US? I understand you have to pay to play, but $7K seems absurd. :(

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
street use will basically last the time you have the car. i did 25000km on my 570 with no probs with rotors at all. The pads went from 10ml to 8 ml in all that time. To be fair only 2 track days in that 2 years. BUT the guy that owned it before me was absolutely hard with it on the track. Mac replaced the pads as I bought it but not the rotors as had my doubts on the brakes. But all good over the 2 years.
As people say its the lots of hard tracking that does them in. Probably the extreme higher speeds with the 720 and then the hard braking to pull it all up. I am just going to temper my track use and keep it to 4 or 6 a year and look after the brakes on track. I should be able to nurse them through my ownership until the new version comes.

I have it booked it in on Thurs so will report back with the actual bill.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Did the discussion turn to track use because pads don't generally wear out on ceramics for street use? How many miles (ballpark) could I expect from OEM pads on the street? There are no aftermarket options for street pads in the US? I understand you have to pay to play, but $7K seems absurd. :(
Depends on how hard you drive it and how you brake.
But in any event for just road use you could expect 15,000 miles + for pads and rotors much longer

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Did you miss the part that this cost is in Australia? Everything costs more down there. That 7K is not USD. In USA the entire set of pads for the car is about $3K.

Also, I agree with the other two who responded (the pads/rotors last a very, very long time with street use). The pads/rotors will out last your ownership of the car if there is no tracking.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yes, $7K (Australia)
Prices are more but not too much more. ie our service costs are approx $1700 per service. From what i read this is actually cheaper than what some Guys are getting charged in the US.
We can order directly from US parts sites and the only difference is the exchange rate and 10% GST(tax) for anything over $1000 and shipping. shipping not too bad considering the weights and distance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you miss the part that this cost is in Australia? Everything costs more down there. That 7K is not USD. In USA the entire set of pads for the car is about $3K.

Also, I agree with the other two who responded (the pads/rotors last a very, very long time with street use). The pads/rotors will out last your ownership of the car if there is no tracking.
Yes, Sir. Missed it. Assumed it was in USD. :LOL:🔨

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Its still US$5416.00. have dropped it off this am. Will see if they bring the lube bottle out this afternoon when i pick it up.

Ok picked up. They did the fronts only. AUS $4600.
Magically the rears had actually grown since last track inspection. From 5mil to 7ml so what i loose in the corner i make up in the straight.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts