McLaren Life banner

21 - 40 of 502 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Yes, yes, different car but same company. I'm not sure what's different about the circumstances though. The OG post was about 24 months from now, not today. A 10% below MSRP offer last month is just one piece of the puzzle, how long have you had it, how many miles, what was MSRP etc. This is in line with what we saw with the 650S. I'm sure we'll see the spider soon and I'm sure that will start a drop.
I guess we will see but so far so good. My car has a high MSRP, it is a Launch Edition. Low miles, ~1600 or so.

You cant compare the 650 it was available for 2 years before being replaced and it was the 2nd car put out by McLaren. Also the values have held well in the last 2 years.

I think the economy will have more impact than anything else.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
It seems most of the 720's have MSRP's in the $330-360K range. Id be shocked if values dip much below $250-270K in two years and a few thousand miles. Fact of the matter is that 650S Spyder values pace closely to 650S coupe models. The market is showing that 3 yo 650's with 4-7K miles fetching between $170K-210K depending on options. The floor has been set with the 12C in the $120Kish range. Its probably a fair guess that these wont drop much more in the next two years, and that 650's will likely always pull a $50k premium over a 12C. Newer cars with high MSRP's like the 570 Spyder and the 600LT will also continue to bolster the price of the 720s. Point is that prior models will keep 720 values higher. Im also not convinced that the emergence of a spyder version will necessarily induce a mass exodus of current 720s coupe owners. Anecdotally, the 720s values seems to pacing or even out pacing the 488's when they were 1 year post launch. If that's an indicator, values may be closer to $280K in 2 years.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I don't know if the current prices on 12C have really hit a floor. Those cars could easily dip under the 6-figure mark in the near future, especially as maintenance balloons and 570 and 650 prices come down.

But it's pretty safe to say that the 650 will continue to trade more than 12c, and 720 will trade for more than 650 and 570. However for the most part that's just how typical depreciation curves on newer model year cars vs older cars. A newer 570 typically holds more value than an older 650. Regardless of future model introductions, 2019 and 2020 MY 720s will drive down the prices of the 2018s.

Also it's difficult to predict future production. If McLaren pushes a lot of low-spec cars to dealer inventory (like they did with 650 and 12c), that's a lot of supply priced at or under $300k brand new, before any discount. Eventually they have to offer steep discounts to move excess inventory (again recall 650 and 12c prices and discounts).

A buyer in year 2020 will likely be comparing those used 2018s with little warranty left against brand new 2021 cars on the showroom floor with brand new warranty for $278,999 after ~$30k dealer discount. All the carbon options in the catalog aren't going to keep the old car at the new car price.

Then again, technically you can buy a new stripper Huracan for $199k and 2015s are still close to that. Time will tell.

·
Registered
137 Posts
.....A buyer in year 2020 will likely be comparing those used 2018s with little warranty left against brand new 2021 cars on the showroom floor with brand new warranty for $278,999 after ~$30k dealer discount. All the carbon options in the catalog aren't going to keep the old car at the new car price.

High spec or low spec, everything sells.
When buying used...
IMO, the 2019's will be worth more on the secondary market due to all the annoying defects and little flaws that those 2018's had.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
whatever the case is, 720 has been out for some time and dare i say it.... it could be following Ferrari depreciation curves! the car is just too good and i think some of the support is finally coming from customers switching from other brands at more noticeable levels.

i am sure performing near hyper car levels, the very exotic look, more brand awareness etc... are key factors. 720 is universally loved. ??????

also, i think the spider intro wont eat into the coup sales as much as we saw with 650, 675 or 570 given the pushes/takes that will happen with either choice...i.e. the spider wont have a full carbon tub like coupe and you wont have the cool doors similar to other hyper cars like La Farrari - it will look like a different car.

So not sure what the car will be worth in 1-2 years but i know its bucking the historical mclaren trend and actually emulating Ferrari depreciation curves...for now! ?‍♂

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,237 Posts
whatever the case is, 720 has been out for some time and dare i say it.... it could be following Ferrari depreciation curves! the car is just too good and i think some of the support is finally coming from customers switching from other brands at more noticeable levels.

i am sure performing near hyper car levels, the very exotic look, more brand awareness etc... are key factors. 720 is universally loved. ������������

also, i think the spider intro wont eat into the coup sales as much as we saw with 650, 675 or 570 given the pushes/takes that will happen with either choice...i.e. the spider wont have a full carbon tub like coupe and you wont have the cool doors similar to other hyper cars like La Farrari - it will look like a different car.

So not sure what the car will be worth in 1-2 years but i know its bucking the historical mclaren trend and actually emulating Ferrari depreciation curves...for now! ��‍♂
So i really like this analysis. Basically the bulk of the McLaren market was driven by the "new toys" group of buyers. They are early adopters and tried out the brand and like having the latest greatest and really dont care about depreciation etc. They just want to make sure they have the new "it" car. Nothing wrong with that, but if they are the bulk of the market, they just dump the car to get the new spider or whatever that comes out. They dont care what they lose, they just want what's next. And that exacerbates the residuals issue.

With McLaren just constantly making ferrari its b...aby performance wise, and becoming more widely known for its performance, as it pulls in a broader demographic of exotic buyers, the effect of the "new toys" buyers gets dampened. Which should mean better residuals. The more mclaren can sustain significantly beating out other exotics performance-wise, the more of that broader base it will attract. If it does it long enough, it could really change up expectations on residuals.

Also, that McLaren now really does enjoy a full range of models, particularly with the 570 being the "volume" model, it can better resist over producing the other lines so that it better matches demand.

Knock wood, looks like that part of the marketing is coming together nicely for McLaren.

·
Registered
61 Posts
No one has mentioned the awkward pricing of the 600lt for the 720s, I know the 720s is a much better allround car but I if I was a new customer it would be a toss up.
In my country there is plenty of stock, discounts from new and dealerships are offering 20% off to owners for near brand new cars they have completely screwed the market down here from the get go.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
McLaren Houston told me that 2019 720S prices have increased roughly $14k over 2018. Also most of the spec’d 600LT’s of customer orders are ~$270kish with a few north of $310k. Point being that a base 720 will be approx the same as a full spec 600LT. A common spec 720 will likely be north of $350k. Seems that the new prices may offer some depreciation protection for 2018 720s owners and give new customers a nice option to bridge the gap between $200k (570s)and $320k (720s)

·
Registered
789 Posts
No one has mentioned the awkward pricing of the 600lt for the 720s, I know the 720s is a much better allround car but I if I was a new customer it would be a toss up.
In my country there is plenty of stock, discounts from new and dealerships are offering 20% off to owners for near brand new cars they have completely screwed the market down here from the get go.

In the US it is unlikely to get a discount on a 720 that is ordered, on one sitting it is possible (I would guess) nothing meaningful though. In Aus you guys pay almost 2x the price, this must factor to some extent.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I’m the OP of this thread. The reason I posted is because my dealer was going to quote me a single pay lease. I’m picking up the car Tuesday. Here is their lease deal: single payment of $190k, two year term with 5k miles (I think, might be 10k, wasn’t disclosed in email to me)residual above $226 is all mine, walk away below $226. MSRP is $348. Pretty silly financially (or they are really worried about residuals). I’ll buy the car.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
I’m the OP of this thread. The reason I posted is because my dealer was going to quote me a single pay lease. I’m picking up the car Tuesday. Here is their lease deal: single payment of $190k, two year term with 5k miles (I think, might be 10k, wasn’t disclosed in email to me)residual above $226 is all mine, walk away below $226. MSRP is $348. Pretty silly financially (or they are really worried about residuals). I’ll buy the car.
$7900 a month! Worst. Deal. Ever.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts

If you can keep the car to only 5,000 miles in two years then you’re a far more disciplined person that I am. I have FOUR McLarens, three Porsche’s and a few other cars and I’m already at well over 3,000 miles in under a year. If I only had the 720S I’d probably be closer to 8,000 miles by now. It is very hard to resist driving that car!

People ask me which of my McLarens is the favorite and I answer pretty quickly that it’s the P1. But I always add that if I could only have one of them it would be the 720S because it’s the car you can and want to drive everywhere and on nearly every occasion.

I also think ease of ingress/egress (those amazing doors) will be a continued unique selling point of the 720S coupe over a 720S spider whenever they do get around to releasing it. So, while I expect the 720S spider to be another great McLaren spider, I expect 720S coupes to hold their values far better against their spider variant than past McLarens have.

·
Registered
837 Posts
So after two years, either you:

• Walk away, 720S lease costs $7900/mo
  • Buy the car, then you ultimately pay $406k or more, for a $348k MSRP car
If those are the terms you're definitely much better off buying the car! And the way that is structured, I think they are trying to make a big lease finance profit and push all risk on you.

·
Registered
172 Posts
How long had you had the car, less than a year, right? That's already $71K in depreciation. 24K miles is a lot, though. Did you actually have 24K on the car?
I had it 10 months and yes I did have 24,000 miles on it. I put the same amount on the 570S in the year before I got the 720S. I do a lot of cross country exotic car rallies. About 1 a month and normally drive the car to and from the rally instead of transporting the car. I love to drive. ?*♀ I’m extra bad at negotiating with my dealer and they know how I drive the car and that I track it every chance I get.

·
Owner
579 Posts
All of us bystanders want them to depreciate (so we can buy them and not get killed), and all the owners want them to hold or appreciate!

$250 is probably the right neighborhood, but who knows?

Reactions: BlackBird

·
Owner
495 Posts
Nobody will ever know, until then.

My guesstimate would be in the $ 240-275k depending on options.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My guess is also around 230k to 250k because by that time the Spider will be out and the market will be flooded with coupes as everyone who bought a 720S coupe as a bridge car to the spider will be trading 'em in.

How did the 675LT's hold up?

·
Registered
789 Posts
My guess is also around 230k to 250k because by that time the Spider will be out and the market will be flooded with coupes as everyone who bought a 720S coupe as a bridge car to the spider will be trading 'em in.

How did the 675LT's hold up?

Ahh, no, many of us have no interest in a convertible. The LT version is another story.

21 - 40 of 502 Posts