McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 495 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think a $346k msrp 720s will be worth in 2 years with 4,000 miles? My car is being delivered next week and thinking that will be my time horizon and mileage. I’m assuming that will still be 6 months before spyder arrives.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I asked what the trade in for mine would be right before the wreck and with 24 thousand miles on it they told me 269. I paid 340 for it. There was a used Volcano Yellow one with 1100 miles on it that I was looking at who wanted 5 thousand over the MSRP of 359. I'm getting a new 2019 Volcano Yellow with more carbon on it than that one for 366, so that used 2018 might be a little over priced. I think they're holding their value better than any other McLaren.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
I asked what the trade in for mine would be right before the wreck and with 24 thousand miles on it they told me 269. I paid 340 for it. There was a used Volcano Yellow one with 1100 miles on it that I was looking at who wanted 5 thousand over the MSRP of 359. I'm getting a new 2019 Volcano Yellow with more carbon on it than that one for 366, so that used 2018 might be a little over priced. I think they're holding their value better than any other McLaren.
How long had you had the car, less than a year, right? That's already $71K in depreciation. 24K miles is a lot, though. Did you actually have 24K on the car?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'd say: about $190K to $200K after the 2 years.
Just out of curiosity what is that based on? The car has been out for over a year now and I haven’t seen many resale’s that much lower than msrp. The OP said he would have about 4K miles in it. If Christine was offered 269k with 24k miles from a dealer that would put the market value higher (the dealer will give you the lowest price). Again, just curious how you came up with those numbers. My crystal ball has been broken for some time.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'd say: about $190K to $200K after the 2 years.
no way. Nothing else out there even in the same universe for that price. Id say $250k very bottom after 2 years. May never get down to that. Look at other 2 yr. old competitors. They are not getting down below that very often.
Of course none of us know, or we wouldn't be discussing.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I think no less than $275,000.

A first year MP4-12C with original MSRP of $260k still retains about 50% of its value, six years and lots of miles later. It was and still is a great car, but I don't think anyone would deny that it had its share of issues and caveat emptor certainly applies.

McLaren did pump out over 2,000 cars in the past 12 months but 720S production will fall off going forward with the Senna and 600LT consuming manufacturing capacity. And once the Senna starts breaking every track record, interest in the 720S will probably be revived since they basically share drivetrains.

Also consider the closest matched cars to the 720S, the 488 Pista and GT2 RS. Obviously prices on those are dictated by supply and demand, but at > $500k with market adjustment they will make a $275k-300k preowned 720S seem like a bargain.

·
Registered
677 Posts
In 2 years it will lose about 10-20% from original retail depending on condition and miles. We are a year in and they are holding well.
1) There aren't many of these available in comparison to other cars such as the 488
2) There is nothing that compares performance wise and wont be for a while.
3) To order new is 6+months
4) The next model is years out, the LT which will cost more is still 2+ years out.

If the economy takes a dump then this all changes because I bet there are some that are leveraged and may need to fire sale.

There are a lot of dreamers hoping for them to tank so they can hopefully get one but the word is out how incredible these cars are and in fact I believe they have pulled up or stabilized the values of the other models.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
In 2 years it will lose about 10-20% from original retail depending on condition and miles. We are a year in and they are holding well.
1) There aren't many of these available in comparison to other cars such as the 488
2) There is nothing that compares performance wise and wont be for a while.
3) To order new is 6+months
4) The next model is years out, the LT which will cost more is still 2+ years out.

If the economy takes a dump then this all changes because I bet there are some that are leveraged and may need to fire sale.

There are a lot of dreamers hoping for them to tank so they can hopefully get one but the word is out how incredible these cars are and in fact I believe they have pulled up or stabilized the values of the other models.

The points you mention are nothing we haven’t seen previously with the P11 platform. How good a car is doesn’t dictate its value. Supply and demand are what drive the value. 10% loss is a pipe dream, 20% is plausible but I think 25%-30% is most likely based on what we’ve seen before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
677 Posts
Different car, different circumstances. I can tell you my dealer offered me 10% less than MSRP last month + a discount on a Performonte to make up for the difference. I dont know what I would replace this car with aside from an LT or Pista I believe others feel the same which will keep used supply down and values flatter. I also believe people have been programmed to assume big depreciation with McLaren no matter what but that is not currently the case.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Yes, yes, different car but same company. I'm not sure what's different about the circumstances though. The OG post was about 24 months from now, not today. A 10% below MSRP offer last month is just one piece of the puzzle, how long have you had it, how many miles, what was MSRP etc. This is in line with what we saw with the 650S. I'm sure we'll see the spider soon and I'm sure that will start a drop.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I never owned Mac before, but would a comparable be two year old 650’s? How much did the early coupes depreciate with low miles after two years and before the impact of spyder introduction? Anyone have data?

·
Registered
238 Posts
What do you think a $346k msrp 720s will be worth in 2 years with 4,000 miles? My car is being delivered next week and thinking that will be my time horizon and mileage. I’m assuming that will still be 6 months before spyder arrives.
Call me in two years if your willing to take $200K.

Seriously, who knows? On the plus side, the 720s is a fantastic car and hard to pass up hyper car performance for a fraction of the cost, if you are looking for a slightly used car. On the downside, the super car market is saturated with lots of choices from an increasing number of car companies entering the market with more models on the way. There will always be a group of car flippers and/or people who want the next best thing. Mclaren is a young car company, they have no obligation to protect your car's future value (sorry), their obligation is to their shareholders, employees and suppliers...they need to sell cars !!

Specific to the 720s, Mclaren made a lot of them with no real signs of pulling back on the reigns, some number were likely sold as lease buys waiting on the Spider, LT Coupe, LT spider, HS etc. I expect a large number of 720s Coupes to hit the market within the next year. And if your looking for some imperial evidence, I think you'll know in a few more months, just look at the 570, how many coupes are on the market, how many coupe owners will flip to the spider, LT, etc. 570 coupes and GT will likely be special order only and dealers will have lots of 570s inventory they need to sell.

Christian

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Well it's already been like a year, so we know residuals are strong so far. I think $250K is a safe bet for a 2 year old car that is 3 years into production, especially with the Spider available by then.

1 - 20 of 495 Posts