McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...My 720 is due for 2nd-year annual service. My local dealer quoted me $2330.

There is a new independent shop in town that has an MDS computer, and they can do the service for $1675. I'm all about saving money and supporting the little guy BUT....

Any thoughts on if original factory warranty will be voided if service is not done at a McLaren authorized shop even if the shop documents everything they did?

·
Registered
58 Posts
For $500 difference, I’ll go with the dealer. If they break anything, you are backed by McLaren warranty.

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's $655 difference. And I would like to support a local independent shop if possible. But I understand your point.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If the service is done right then doesn't really matter. The only major difference in documentation is that it will be reported on your carfax other similar reporting agencies. If you're selling the car privately that might make a difference

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
support local guy and if they break, they pay. wonder what he spent for the computer! i hope it doesn’t void warranty though

·
Registered
233 Posts
For the extra 650 i would just suck it up and use Mac. You pay so much for this car in the first place, whats an extra 650 for the piece of mind that mac will do it properly and with recourse if they dont.

·
Registered
781 Posts
You can also shave some $ off the service by telling them not to replace windshield wipers, if you don't drive in the rain or even if you do and the wipers are okay. I don't remember how much they were, but it was pretty significant for a few pieces of rubber.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would use the independent shop if your vehicle is out of warranty. Until then either purchase the excessive warranty for unlimited miles.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I dont think any 720's would be out of warranty just yet. I may be wrong.
But yes, cars are cars and shouldnt be too difficult to work on for a competent mechanic with access to proper parts.

·
Owner
268 Posts
you’re right they’re not out of warranty as they have unlimited miles warranty.
Some of them will be coming very close - if it is an early '18, a lot of them will be coming out of warranty this month or next month.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Some of them will be coming very close - if it is an early '18, a lot of them will be coming out of warranty this month or next month.
Wow hard to believe they've been out that long I didn't think they started delivering them till like August or September of 2017

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I decided to go with the independent shop and support him. Plus it's $1000 difference after we left off some items (like windshield wipers, etc). As long as the service is well-documented, they cannot void warranty legally. They can, however, deny GoodWill items if you don't have the service done at an authorized McLaren Service Center. Year 2 service is essentially just an oil and filter change and brake fluid flush... then the usual "inspections" that are done as part of the pre-track inspection. Obviously, if there are any service campaigns or software updates, those need to be done at the dealer but my car was in a few mos ago for software updates and had some campaigns addressed then. I think $2100 for an oil/filter change and brake flush is nuts!

·
Owner
268 Posts
Wow hard to believe they've been out that long I didn't think they started delivering them till like August or September of 2017
My math is absolutely bonkers...LOL.
The earliest ones, will be out of warranty in about 9-10 months.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I guess just go to independent shop. It's just a service ... on p11 and p14 platform i'ts just the same and easy. ...
720s is much easier too. everyone needs MDS to reset the service date. nothing more ...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am not worried at all. My guy in Houston, Sphere Automotive is $850 for year 2 service, this included oil change and brake flush as well as the full checklist He works on all the F, L, M, AM, Bentley and RR cars. Just pointless to spend the extra $1,200.....and no, I am not worried about resale. I would buy a used car if the records were there for independent service work. I am ok with people making money, but $1,600 for essentially an oil change is insulting.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I am not worried at all. My guy in Houston, Sphere Automotive is $850 for year 2 service, this included oil change and brake flush as well as the full checklist He works on all the F, L, M, AM, Bentley and RR cars. Just pointless to spend the extra $1,200.....and no, I am not worried about resale. I would buy a used car if the records were there for independent service work. I am ok with people making money, but $1,600 for essentially an oil change is insulting.
but can he reset the maintenance monitor?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts