McLaren Life banner
301 - 320 of 351 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
I am in the metal recycling industry, I know a thing or two about environmental subjects. As it sits right now, I can shred 400 cars in an 8 hour shift through my massive auto shredder. I can recover and recycling 92% of each vehicle. All of the steel, aluminum, copper, brass, you name it, it gets shredded and recycled. Electric cars are not the savior the world thinks they are going to be. I have first hand experience with all of this, lithium batteries are considered hazardous waste and 100% can't be recycled and go straight to a hazardous waste landfill, extremely nasty stuff. Lead acid batteries get recycled. Also electric cars are being made up of lots of plastic, can't reuse plastic like you can metal. It is projected that less than 50% of an electric car will be able to be recycled when shredded, the rest will go rot away in a landfill. Last but not least, how do people think electricity is made? All from wind farms and solar? Nope. 3/4 of all electricity is made from good old fashion coal and gas. And the more electric cars on the road, the more coal and gas are needed to power those golf carts haha. Plus our current electric grid could not possibly withstand a flood of electric cars, look at California, they literally have rolling blackouts like a 3rd world country on a yearly basis. Now throw a bunch of "environmentally friendly" electric vehicle in the mix, it will be a total disaster. Therefore all of my gas powered vehicle will be worth even more! haha

4% of US car sales were EV in 2021. Out of that 4% of EV sales in 2021, Tesla accounted for 79% of them.
Very interesting info.

The irony about environmentalism and EVs is that it takes lots of natural resources to build them. The environmentalists want them, but they don't want the mines to be built to make them.

There is a mine called the Black Butte Copper Mine that is trying to be opened in Montana, however the environmentalists are trying to stop it. There are so many regulations in place to protect the environment right now that I have no doubt that the mine will be fine. Yet, they are still trying to block it.

It is one of the richest known copper resources in the world and much of that copper would be used to make things like solar panels, wind turbines, and EVs. If they don't get the copper there, then it will come from places like Africa, South America, and China, which I guarantee will not have nearly the environmental or worker safety regulations.

The bottom line is you can't have it both ways. If you want these "environmentally friendly" things like EVs, solar panels, and wind turbines the resources have to come from somewhere. At least until Elon is able to build a fleet of mining space ships that can mine asteroids or something like that lol.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
3 SF90s sold for over $950k at the local dealer by me. I've been offered big $$ for my 2022 GTS that is being delivered today. Market is out of control. The GTS isn't numbered either.

I have a 765lt coupe that I paid $100k over msrp for and I paid $200k over msrp for my Pista Spider. Both had under 200 miles on them. I have a 765lt spider coming and I think it will track the Pista Spider values in the near term, but who knows....

I may lose when the inevitable correction comes in the market, but doubt I will over 5-10 years. In reality it doesn't matter because I have no plans to sell any of them any time soon, if ever. They are among the last of a dying breed of automobiles.

Faster doesn't mean better.
The GTS is limited to some extent but of course not numbered not to mention it is the last of its kind so I get that. SFs selling for 950k is just silly. If they actually transacted at those numbers that should drive the 765 even higher then. In regards to the Pistas, there are many for sale and asking prices are around $500k. Pista spiders are another story. I guess there are fewer of these out there.

I am paying msrp for all my cars although I might pay a bit more if it's really special. I don't consider GT3s that special, I've had 2 2018 manuals and although they are fun they aren't worth more than $200k to me. In fact I'm putting an order in on a Targa GTS this week instead. Might be a while before I see it but that's OK.

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,950 Posts
Yea, transitional periods I would imagine are 'not clean' affairs. The question is how long will the transition take, and what is the damage before there is infrastructure in place to deal with the new tech.

For example, treating waste oil is not a naturally super clean affair (my guess is early on, you just dumped it into a ditch somewhere), but over years I guess an infrastructure developed to deal with it.

I don't see why it should be different for batteries, other than right now, there really isnt much if any infrastructure to deal with it, so we're dumping it in a ditch somewhere.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I am in the metal recycling industry, I know a thing or two about environmental subjects. As it sits right now, I can shred 400 cars in an 8 hour shift through my massive auto shredder. I can recover and recycling 92% of each vehicle. All of the steel, aluminum, copper, brass, you name it, it gets shredded and recycled. Electric cars are not the savior the world thinks they are going to be. I have first hand experience with all of this, lithium batteries are considered hazardous waste and 100% can't be recycled and go straight to a hazardous waste landfill, extremely nasty stuff. Lead acid batteries get recycled. Also electric cars are being made up of lots of plastic, can't reuse plastic like you can metal. It is projected that less than 50% of an electric car will be able to be recycled when shredded, the rest will go rot away in a landfill. Last but not least, how do people think electricity is made? All from wind farms and solar? Nope. 3/4 of all electricity is made from good old fashion coal and gas. And the more electric cars on the road, the more coal and gas are needed to power those golf carts haha. Plus our current electric grid could not possibly withstand a flood of electric cars, look at California, they literally have rolling blackouts like a 3rd world country on a yearly basis. Now throw a bunch of "environmentally friendly" electric vehicle in the mix, it will be a total disaster. Therefore all of my gas powered vehicle will be worth even more! haha

4% of US car sales were EV in 2021. Out of that 4% of EV sales in 2021, Tesla accounted for 79% of them.
How much change do you collect from these recycled cars?

·
Registered
491 Posts
I am in the metal recycling industry, I know a thing or two about environmental subjects. As it sits right now, I can shred 400 cars in an 8 hour shift through my massive auto shredder.
Just make sure that blue unit doesn't get too close to the shredder and accidently get sucked in😮🤬.

I don't think you'd get much for shredded CF.

Reactions: 06viper

·
Registered
727 Posts
I ordered my first electric car this week. A Rivian truck. Seems like a game changer to me and as an early round pre IPO investor I want to support the company. Electric and gizmos for utility, count me in. For my fun car? Nah I’m keeping the 765 and buying old school.

3,033 Posts
I ordered my first electric car this week. A Rivian truck. Seems like a game changer to me and as an early round pre IPO investor I want to support the company. Electric and gizmos for utility, count me in. For my fun car? Nah I’m keeping the 765 and buying old school.
Did the exact same thing, pre IPO and I ordered the R1S(SUV) last October, won’t see until next year but looking forward to it, 765LTS is going nowhere!

·
Registered
698 Posts
I’m holding off on EVs for at least a few more years. Have a Turbo S, M5 CS and adding a Cayenne Turbo GT for my daily duties (yes, I have issues!). They won’t be offering pure ICE vehicles like that for much longer so get them while you can.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I’m holding off on EVs for at least a few more years. Have a Turbo S, M5 CS and adding a Cayenne Turbo GT for my daily duties (yes, I have issues!). They won’t be offering pure ICE vehicles like that for much longer so get them while you can.
How do you like the M5 CS. I have a 2022 Turbo S and I find it extremely fast and boring.

·
Registered
698 Posts
How do you like the M5 CS. I have a 2022 Turbo S and I find it extremely fast and boring.
I mean, it’s no 765 but it is fun to drive and the seats are amazing. A few reviewers have commented that it feels light on its feet which is accurate. It doesn’t feel like 4,000 pounds in the way it responds to steering input and changes direction. Exhaust sound is a disappointment but I can live with that.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

·
Registered
326 Posts
I mean, it’s no 765 but it is fun to drive and the seats are amazing. A few reviewers have commented that it feels light on its feet which is accurate. It doesn’t feel like 4,000 pounds in the way it responds to steering input and changes direction. Exhaust sound is a disappointment but I can live with that.

View attachment 217403
Looks great. I also like the seats, I’m surprised I was told that was the main complaint.
Thanks!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #314 ·
How much change do you collect from these recycled cars?
It’s not just cars, I own scrap yards, so anything metal. And everything is on a price per pound basis. So right now I’m paying $0.07 cents a pound for steel, varies on a monthly basis depending on the market. Here’s two random fun facts a lot of people don’t know, over 85% of all steel in the world has been scraped and recycled, and new vehicles are made up of 99% recycled steel or aluminum.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
It’s not just cars, I own scrap yards, so anything metal. And everything is on a price per pound basis. So right now I’m paying $0.07 cents a pound for steel, varies on a monthly basis depending on the market. Here’s two random fun facts a lot of people don’t know, over 85% of all steel in the world has been scraped and recycled, and new vehicles are made up of 99% recycled steel or aluminum.
So lets say you get 2000 pounds of steel from a recycled car ( I know its less weight) - thats about $140 bucks? cool.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #316 ·
So lets say you get 2000 pounds of steel from a recycled car ( I know its less weight) - thats about $140 bucks? cool.
No we pay for the whole car as a whole. Average vehicles weigh is between 3,500-5,500lbs. Majority of all the vehicles I receive come from salvage yards. They must all have titles of course for us to accept them. If you ever watched the TV show Breaking Bad, my scrap yards were in season 2 and season 5, also in the breaking bad movie.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Curious how you make them work, as I'm similar size. You have enough leg room? Also, they look pretty narrow
There's more leg room with the Sennas than with comfort seat. There are multiple mount points on the seats, so the ass area can be seated very low and rearward with the seat tilted back more than you can tilt with the comfort seats. This gives a more reclined seating position with knees more bent, so more overall room for the legs.

301 - 320 of 351 Posts