McLaren Life banner

341 - 360 of 558 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Genuine curiosity question...What is it specifically about the 675LT that is blowing everyone away?

As stated before in this thread I recently had an extensive back to back drive in both the 675 and the 600. I came away enjoying the 600 a lot more.

There is no question that the craftsmanship in the 675 is incredible...and I personally LOVE the look of it. But I was somewhat disappointed by it. Perhaps some of it was the fact that I’d put it on such a pedestal from everything I’ve read about...but I found it to be extremely loud, you can hear the tiniest grain of sand let alone every single stone on the undercarriage, the one I was in had lots of rattles and creaks etc. Whereas the 600 being newer felt just as sharp, still raw, awesome exhaust note (675 was awesome too) but the 600 was more refined in a good way.

I’m not suggesting that the 675 isn’t extremely special...perhaps more so than the 600, but overall I thought the 600 was better in every way except power. Is it perhaps ego? Super series vs. Sport series. Trust me when I say this...I REALLY wanted to love the 675 due to the looks, performance, sharpness, quality, lower depreciation, numbered car etc., but I didn’t leave with that impression. I guess that’s why I’m so interested in what is ‘blowing’ people away with it? Currently looking to upgrade my 570 track pack for a 675, 600 or 720...they are all on the table...Maybe I need to spend more time in the 675. Thanks for your input.
I drove 2 675s now and I would agree the 600 LT left more of an impression on me. The sound was much better IMO then the 675. Maybe because I own a 650 that the 675 felt kinda the same just much sharper and raw? I don’t know. Only thing that bothers me is the looks on the 600 - just don’t love it but it’s growing on me slowly.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Key reasons I prefer the 675 over the 600: Looks, Power/throttle response, active aero, limited production

drive them both aggressively in the 80-140mph range, including heavy braking at speed and you should understand

but the 600 is also an exceptional car in its own right and if someone likes it better that’s ok!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Main difference I noticed is that the 600LT’s front is more squirmy under hard acceleration. The car seems undertired. The 235s on the 675 seem to make the front end bite better than the 225’s on the 600.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Nobody is going is make a video about splitting hairs between a new Ferrari California vs a 458. Even a Speciale and F12 were probably similar dosh when the the F12 was newer, but drastically different cars.
Interesting point. I think Mclaren has to realize that even though a mid engined layout is the ideal way to build a supercar, people byuing super cars buy based not only on possible track times but other factors as well (despite the all the fanboys who believe the VAG Nurburgring lap times, although the fact that people believe in that hype says something about their marketing dept).

Currently, Mclaren's sport and super series product lineup is most similar to POrsche's (IMO). A lot of very similar cars based off the same platform with varying levels of engine, aero, and suspension performance, but no fundamental differences (except for hydraulic suspension but adaptive dampers are almost as good). Sure the 570s and 720s chassis are different but I would guess that the fundamental engineering of the two (and the 650s) are very similar (I think Mate Rimac mentioned this somewhere in an interview but I can't find it). But Porsche does a wayyyyyyyyyy better job of inflating the perception of the differences.

You could say the same about the Ultimate series but the P1 gets a pass because of its hybrid system. Senna gets a pass for its extreme aero. Elva gets pass for being a barchetta (or does it, demand is very low).

What if Mclaren were to build a front engined, carbon chassis GT to compete with either the Portifino or 812? Would give them the USP of carbon front engined car beside the One77. Would solve most of their differentiation problems even if performance was similar imo.

Probably will never happen in a million years thoough i think the cost of doing a whole new platform is too much otherwise the Elva wouldve been front engined.

Also begs the question, if Mclaren had a similar lineup to Ferrari, would customers buy the Mclaren option over the incumbent?

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Interesting point. I think Mclaren has to realize that even though a mid engined layout is the ideal way to build a supercar, people byuing super cars buy based not only on possible track times but other factors as well (despite the all the fanboys who believe the VAG Nurburgring lap times, although the fact that people believe in that hype says something about their marketing dept).

Currently, Mclaren's sport and super series product lineup is most similar to POrsche's (IMO). A lot of very similar cars based off the same platform with varying levels of engine, aero, and suspension performance, but no fundamental differences (except for hydraulic suspension but adaptive dampers are almost as good). Sure the 570s and 720s chassis are different but I would guess that the fundamental engineering of the two (and the 650s) are very similar (I think Mate Rimac mentioned this somewhere in an interview but I can't find it). But Porsche does a wayyyyyyyyyy better job of inflating the perception of the differences.

You could say the same about the Ultimate series but the P1 gets a pass because of its hybrid system. Senna gets a pass for its extreme aero. Elva gets pass for being a barchetta (or does it, demand is very low).

What if Mclaren were to build a front engined, carbon chassis GT to compete with either the Portifino or 812? Would give them the USP of carbon front engined car beside the One77. Would solve most of their differentiation problems even if performance was similar imo.

Probably will never happen in a million years thoough i think the cost of doing a whole new platform is too much otherwise the Elva wouldve been front engined.

Also begs the question, if Mclaren had a similar lineup to Ferrari, would customers buy the Mclaren option over the incumbent?
Correct they can't afford a new line. So seemingly the answer has been to churn out a flavour of the month based on the single platform. i.e. a conscious decision to pass the buck to past buyers. But they cannot run from the consequences; owners will grow tired of defending the "unique-ness" of their non-unique cars and move on. Even cell phone companies know they can only package up the same stuff in so many trim levels!

How many 675LT buyers originally had plans to stay on the LT track and upgrade to the 765LT when it comes out. Probably a fair few.

·
Registered
100 Posts

A front engine car would be injecting itself into some competitive territory. Hard to say whether they would gain share from Ferrari, or simply get cross-shopped to the AMG, etc. Porsche's problem is quite similar to McLaren's, but as you say they execute on it better, or their customers haven't gotten tired of it yet. Porsche also has the advantage of high volume cars averaging down the cost of development for upgrades to the interior. But I don't know how Porsche buyers justify the purchase of the higher-end models when they are just performance packages of a relatively modest base-911. Impressive packages, but packages all the same.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Think Porsche has done a masterful job with a 60 year old car, and they offer it at varied price points so you can pick your poison. Entry level is good for someone who wants to test the brand with a base 911 which I did in 2013, and moved to 3 GT cars with 2 being RS models which is the deal of the century for what it does. Pairs up well with the MAC.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
A front engine car would be injecting itself into some competitive territory. Hard to say whether they would gain share from Ferrari, or simply get cross-shopped to the AMG, etc. Porsche's problem is quite similar to McLaren's, but as you say they execute on it better, or their customers haven't gotten tired of it yet. Porsche also has the advantage of high volume cars averaging down the cost of development for upgrades to the interior. But I don't know how Porsche buyers justify the purchase of the higher-end models when they are just performance packages of a relatively modest base-911. Impressive packages, but packages all the same.
It's because the 911 starts at a much lower price point, where buyers know they can't expect ultra-exclusivity and then tops out with GT2 RS, which is exclusive.

Mac on the other hand starts with the 540/570 in a bracket where buyers do expect to feel special, so mimicking the 911 model range is never going to work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The sub is good but does not reach 685, the energy reserve is not the same, and the bass is a bit worse and is just class. All I will say is that there are two options with a blue and green energy indicator, so take a green one with a 150W power chip, and with blue it costs two to 75 W. maximum. Understand that one is better than two)
:cool:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Seems like the market is still frozen. Not many new listings, not many recent sales, no real price drops, same picked through offerings. Maybe as we move from winter to the spring selling season the market might loosen back up again? As I survey the market, about the only cars really moving are Pista’s and dirt cheap 720’s. It’s crazy how cold the overall market has gotten.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Car market is good, and (we) the consumers have lots of buying power with a ton of inventory across all manufactures. Lots of buyers are cross shopping, I’ve been a die hard only Porsche guy and tried Ferrari and now 675LT which I love. My loyalty is to the best deal, and the best experience available. More cars than buyers at this price point is what you’re seeing, and I’ve never seen this much availability since 2008. Ferrari offered a allocation, and that never happens so that tells you something.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Seems like the market is still frozen. Not many new listings, not many recent sales, no real price drops, same picked through offerings. Maybe as we move from winter to the spring selling season the market might loosen back up again? As I survey the market, about the only cars really moving are Pista’s and dirt cheap 720’s. It’s crazy how cold the overall market has gotten.
Think that orange car for 209k sold. Had a pretty good options list, seemed like a good deal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Looking to buy a 675lt coupe soon. What should I aim for or expect in terms of warranty options?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Looking to buy a 675lt coupe soon. What should I aim for or expect in terms of warranty options?
suggest once you lock down your deal on a price you think that’s fair negotiate a one year warranty. Value can be between 5k to 7k, and 2 years about 9500. Check the service history, and for the most part 675LT’s pretty solid. Good luck.

·
Registered
246 Posts
suggest once you lock down your deal on a price you think that’s fair negotiate a one year warranty. Value can be between 5k to 7k, and 2 years about 9500. Check the service history, and for the most part 675LT’s pretty solid. Good luck.
yep that’s accurate. If the in service date is 5 years or less, you will be paying $9600 for 2 years and around $5100 for 1 year. If the in service date is past 5 years, it goes up to around $11k for the 2 year. The warranty is fully pro rated and refundable even if you have claims so if you ever trade in the car or sell and buyer doesn’t want it, you can get money back so suggest you lock a 2 year warranty even if you don’t plan keeping it that long. Also helps with resale.

Reactions: CarbonDan

·
Registered
89 Posts
Random thoughts catching up on this great thread...

We all hype what we own and have our own opinions. Justify what we bought and why we bought it. Let’s be honest, are there really any exotic cars from Mac, Ferrari, Lamborghini, or Porsche that 10 years ago we all wouldn’t have lusted for and their all great in some ways depending on what we’re looking for.

I loved my 675LT Spider, absolutely phenomenal car to drive. Would never criticize anyone for going after one and simply offer my experience. It feels like a race car which is cool, but that may not be what some are looking for if they want to drive it to dinner with their significant other. It also depends on what else is in your garage. A Performante, Pista, and 675LT all have similar feel of stripped out, raw cars. Throwing in something different that’s not as “raw” is sometimes the excitement of getting in each one - they feel different.

I think the Porsche comparisons/comments have merit in regards to then evolution of the 911. Much longer history. As the price point creeps up, look at the new 911 Turbo/Turbo S, they start heading into the territory of more exclusive brands though.

The current interest rate environment will keep buyers in the game. I’ve heard from my dealers that cars are moving, but they are likely not going to admit otherwise. It definitely seems like a soft/low turnover market currently. I do not foresee a global recession due to the corona virus, if anything it delays purchases and there will be pent up demand later into early Summer when it passes. Financial markets tend to overreact into these events and we’ll likely have a strong second half to 2020. With that said, supply is clearly outpacing demand currently cause price drops.

A McLaren GM told me that Mac is financial backed by a middle eastern private equity group. Anyone else heard this as well?

·
Registered
261 Posts
MAC, has cash not the problem ........market is over supplied across the board good for consumers. However, mortgage default rates are close to 2008 levels/same with cars loans. CV-19 also doesn’t help .........2020 will be ugly the company I work for generates about 50B in rev annually, and March is off 1B big number. Again good time to buy cars especially next month CV-19 will still have people scared. My wife just xcld our July cruise 21k back in my pocket .....not good if this stays like this. Any who, enjoy your cars as this shall pass

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
341 - 360 of 558 Posts