McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m very serious about buying a 675lt, I’ve followed mclaren since I was a kid and love the brand. To be at a stage of actually been able to afford my ultimate car is a dream. Money has not come easy and to be spending such an amount is a worry as to just how low they will go. What are people’s thoughts on this. This subject has probably been brought up loads of times. Also what hidden costs are to be expected from owning a LT, servicing etc etc

·
Registered
217 Posts
this has been brought up many times already.
from what i can see,values are still dropping some.this may be as a result of the glut of 720S available in the used market now.
the few 675's available don't seem to move very much.
although the 675 is a great car,it just can't compete with what the 720 offers. it's saving grace is the limited amount built which one would think would keep the values up but this has not happened.
servicing is not inexpensive and neither are parts.if anything like the earlier cars,expect electrical glitches that come and go but the mechanicals are sound for the most part.
keep in mind the 675 goes back to the mp4-12c era with some improvements done,but still....
i'm on the fence as well but the more i think about it,the more the 720s makes more sense.

·
Registered
33 Posts
this has been brought up many times already.
from what i can see,values are still dropping some.this may be as a result of the glut of 720S available in the used market now.
the few 675's available don't seem to move very much.
although the 675 is a great car,it just can't compete with what the 720 offers. it's saving grace is the limited amount built which one would think would keep the values up but this has not happened.
servicing is not inexpensive and neither are parts.if anything like the earlier cars,expect electrical glitches that come and go but the mechanicals are sound for the most part.
keep in mind the 675 goes back to the mp4-12c era with some improvements done,but still....
i'm on the fence as well but the more i think about it,the more the 720s makes more sense.
720S is beautiful my buddy came by for a visit in his Helios Orange. I was on the fence, but I went went with the 675LT being limited to 500 coups.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I’m very serious about buying a 675lt, I’ve followed mclaren since I was a kid and love the brand. To be at a stage of actually been able to afford my ultimate car is a dream. Money has not come easy and to be spending such an amount is a worry as to just how low they will go. What are people’s thoughts on this. This subject has probably been brought up loads of times. Also what hidden costs are to be expected from owning a LT, servicing etc etc
The 675 is amazing. McLaren put everything they had into making the car exceptional. I think they will appreciate substantially. I don’t see the coupes dropping below 200 unless you find a high mileage car and probably in a less desirable color.

No need to rehash the 720 debate, if you are considering that route go drive both and decide.

Costs to consider: car deserves PPF so if it doesn’t have it you will likely want to get it, trofeo tires are really expensive if replacement is needed, check your insurance quote, assume $5k year for extended warranty and $2k for annual service. You can save the latter costs initially by getting a qualified car.

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
I think if we slip further into recession, it is a given that prices will sink under USD $200K. That is still a lot of money for a car and from observing past economic cycles, the exotic car market gets hit hard.

Other factors to consider, in my opinion, each of which could go for, or against:

1. How many 675LT coupes and spiders will be traded against 7XX LT? There will be likely be an increase in 675 LT inventory; how many depends on whether Mc hits it out of the park with the 7XX LT.

2. Will McLaren Automotive, in its current incarnation, survive a prolonged recession? I feel as though they are moving towards more "special edition" variants with smaller production runs. What does this mean for the original business plan and for the market's perception of limited run models? What does it mean for the dealer network and after-sales service?

3. Where will 600LT coupe and spider end up in terms of production numbers and resale values. Will they continue to be cross-shopped with 675LT?

4. Does Mc have any more "surprises" coming? Probably. Will those present yet more alternatives to buying used models like the 675?

All that said, the economy is probably the biggest factor, in the short term.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Short-term I think $225K, probably not $200K within the next 12 months. 600LT pricing should tell you where the 675LT will end up short-term since it's also a much liked car, an LT, and should be lower than the 675 ultimately due to pecking order.

Medium-term will probably be flat at best or down with the emphasis on the economy. Might not be free to drive, but could be cheap to drive.

Long-term? Who knows, but it's not going to make you rich or jump to anything crazy because they made a lot.

In any case, don't buy it unless you really really want it. It's not the next million dollar classic and it's probably not the last car you'll ever want. Lots of new stuff constantly coming out and the transition to hybrid/EV. Buy it because you want it, not because you think the price is right. The price is always right for lots of stuff.

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
Here is an interesting example, albeit in Canada: http://www.autotrader.ca/go/5-44300847

Nice spec, low miles. Already down 5% from original asking price. Being somewhat familiar with Pfaff's pricing strategy, I would guess that as of today, they'd let it go for approx 5% lower than current ask, so CAD $315K. Which is USD $237K at today's fx.

Also, the same car would be probably be cheaper in the U.S. as Pfaff has a virtual monopoly in Canada, being the only authorized dealer.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Decent coupes are just starting to break $225K, they are dropping them $3K at a time. Once we are in winter and it's a year older...prices will weaken. My gut tells me that they will break $200K during the next recession, then will likely bounce back. If you can buy private party now, you should be good. Overall, pretty limited exposure at this point in the curve for very special car. Maintenance and warranty add $7-8K per year, but worth it for no worries.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Mdean22,

I'm the GM of a exotic automotive dealership and we have a 2016 McLaren 675LT Spyder One Owner MSO Spec with 2975 miles incoming. I think this vehicle may land in your price range. Let me know if you may be interested and I can get the specs and photos over to you as soon as we get it in.

Thanks!

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,418 Posts
A buddy of mine just bought a 675 LT coupe with a $415k sticker and 9k miles for $205k. I see 675s breaking the $200k barrier this year or next unfortunately

·
Registered
98 Posts
A buddy of mine just bought a 675 LT coupe with a $415k sticker and 9k miles for $205k. I see 675s breaking the $200k barrier this year or next unfortunately
The fact the car you reference had higher miles and was white brought the value down about $15k. That car in a desirable color with 4K miles or less goes for $220k+

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
The fact the car you reference had higher miles and was white brought the value down about $15k. That car in a desirable color with 4K miles or less goes for $220k+
Eh, so what? I mean, would you really spend an extra $25K on a depreciating car when you plan to put miles on it anyway?

4K... 9K... the 9K probably is a safe buy too considering how much more time/miles warranty issue had to occur. Most of my problems in cars has occurred after 5K miles, not before.

·
Registered
170 Posts
It is a buyers market. McPhilly has a LT that they have had for almost 2 years. Yeah they wrapped it but it is still the same car. With any depreciating asset it is like catching a falling knife. Let it hit the floor first then pick it up. These cars are WANTS not NEEDS. McLaren's challenge seems to be that each new car is so much better than what it replaced it really kills the values of used cars. Plus the 675LT is a very specialized car. If you plan on tracking the car a bunch it is perfect, but on the street it is kinda silly fast.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
It is a buyers market. McPhilly has a LT that they have had for almost 2 years. Yeah they wrapped it but it is still the same car. With any depreciating asset it is like catching a falling knife. Let it hit the floor first then pick it up. These cars are WANTS not NEEDS. McLaren's challenge seems to be that each new car is so much better than what it replaced it really kills the values of used cars. Plus the 675LT is a very specialized car. If you plan on tracking the car a bunch it is perfect, but on the street it is kinda silly fast.
Yeah they cant give away that red one which is wrapped black now

·
Registered
98 Posts
Eh, so what? I mean, would you really spend an extra $25K on a depreciating car when you plan to put miles on it anyway?

4K... 9K... the 9K probably is a safe buy too considering how much more time/miles warranty issue had to occur. Most of my problems in cars has occurred after 5K miles, not before.
I told people the white one was a great deal, that it would go for close to $200k and someone should buy it ASAP, and it did

·
Registered
98 Posts
I love its speed and dynamics for the street. The car can be driven as mildly or as aggressively as one wants. Now, if you drive aggressively and don’t know what you are doing any McLaren can get away from you, as the cliff diving 570S and 720S on Mulholland Dr will show you.

Re the philly car, that dealer is just too stubborn. 10k+ mile undesirable spec 675LT is likely to go much closer to where the white one went. However they have been holding firm at $229k

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yeah they cant give away that red one which is wrapped black now
I believe the Delta Red car was one of the original press cars. Its been around the block a few times. The good cars when they come up at this point move and the same ones continue to sit. These cars offer the best value proposition that I’ve ever seen in a sports car at this price level. Anyone in the market that finds the combination that suits them should go for it, it’s going to be expensive any way you look at it with extend warranty and yearly service costs, but the feeling of owning and driving this car is priceless. When I bought mine I spent more than twice what I’ve ever spent on a car. What amazes me is that people don’t think twice about dropping more money on a 488 spider, when in my opinion it doesn’t touch the 675. I do like Ferrari’s though I have 2 just not the current ones.

1 - 20 of 150 Posts