McLaren Life banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
675 LTS Chicane
15 Posts
I have been following the 675 LT market in the US for about 18 months before finally getting my 675LTS a month ago. I would say, at least in my observation, the US market has bottomed out and started to rise. The lowest was probably during the summer in 2020. By the time I was ready to buy in the late fall, inventory dried up a lot and as a result the price has creep up. There’s like around 10 coupe/spider and 1 HS for sale right now, where as in the summer I swear it was 20-30.

It won’t ever compare to a speciale or pista in terms of holding its value though, even if the car is better unfortunately.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have been following the 675 LT market in the US for about 18 months before finally getting my 675LTS a month ago. I would say, at least in my observation, the US market has bottomed out and started to rise. The lowest was probably during the summer in 2020. By the time I was ready to buy in the late fall, inventory dried up a lot and as a result the price has creep up. There’s like around 10 coupe/spider and 1 HS for sale right now, where as in the summer I swear it was 20-30.

It won’t ever compare to a speciale or pista in terms of holding its value though, even if the car is better unfortunately.
‘You have the best color car I’m biased for sure. History will determine value, 12 year old company has to build brand and reputation. The Mclaren F1 is a 15M-20M dollar car because of the race history, now the works starts for Mclaren to build brand and not make a coup and then spider a year later. Porsche is the master at hiding what’s behind the door for a few years, but 70 years of practice helps. Based on the above I will keep buying used Mclarens until they solve, but I do love the cars. With that said I will not buy the new Ferrari stuff look at the 488’s vs the 458’s very close in price.

·
Registered
2019 McLaren 600LT Chicane Effect
116 Posts
I think once you decide on a McLaren and then move within the different products, you recognize the individual differences, they are certainly there, in that sense I agree with you.

But I dare say that the prices of used McLaren's (this also applies to the LT) are primarily defined by brand newcomers. So it seems important to me regarding the question of what is happening with the 675LT price right now, how does a "non McLaren customer" view the product situation? And with such a prospective customer it is much more difficult to convey real differences between all the models.

A newcomer to the brand will first notice that all McLaren models are two-seater mid-rear engine cars with a (more or less the same) V8 bi-turbo engine and carbon monocoque. Even a GT works exactly in this pattern at McLaren.
With Porsche there are already big differences in the choice of engines, turbo or naturally aspirated, then mid-engine or (mid)/rear engine, manual transmission or dual clutch, etc.. With Ferrari, the product differences are even bigger: V8 or V12, 2+2 seater or two seater, front-mid engine or mid-rear engine, etc.
From this point of view, if you summarize all its products under "two-seater mid-rear engine concept with V8 turbo drive", McLaren is almost a mass producer. ;)

For a McLaren owner the question arises immediately, why should I pay so much for an "old" P11 LT when I can buy a new LT for a little more money (e.g. 675LT vs. 600LT) which offers me exactly the same racetrack-oriented setup and is able to deliver at least the same performances? With such a prospect profile the only question that makes sense is the speculation on value increase. But this you can forget in the case of the 675LT with its 1000 "limited" vehicles, because this amount of produced cars is almost a third of all 650s produced.

Of course this is a thread for 675LT owners and they defend their choice. But in terms of value appreciation, it looks bad. Which does not mean that the car is bad! However, even if it's a superior car compared to the brand-different competition, in the end, the 675LT is simply a racetrack-oriented McLaren, as there are various others within all these McLaren products. By the way, this car is still my preferred McLaren. But my personal preference will unfortunately not drive up the price of the 675LT.
There is no difference between that and the special/higher performance models of any other brand. Most people don't know the difference between a 4S and a GT3, 488 and a Pista, or a Huracan and a Performante. The bigger issue is the name: the lack of pedigree outside of actual racing, the reputation for reliability issues based on the heavily publicized MP4-12C issues, and the currently heavily discussed dealer/manufacturing attitude toward customers. In all honesty, the main first remark from people that know what a McLaren is that I get at work, gas stations, or car meets past the "what a beautiful car" is "what problems have you had with it?". (Personally I have had some, but less than I had in the same mileage of my Porsche GTS) If they could fix that image, and fix the over supply of the market, I believe it would greatly increase the perceived, and thus actual, value of the car.

·
Registered
633 Posts
There is no difference between that and the special/higher performance models of any other brand. Most people don't know the difference between a 4S and a GT3, 488 and a Pista, or a Huracan and a Performante. The bigger issue is the name: the lack of pedigree outside of actual racing, the reputation for reliability issues based on the heavily publicized MP4-12C issues, and the currently heavily discussed dealer/manufacturing attitude toward customers. In all honesty, the main first remark from people that know what a McLaren is that I get at work, gas stations, or car meets past the "what a beautiful car" is "what problems have you had with it?". (Personally I have had some, but less than I had in the same mileage of my Porsche GTS) If they could fix that image, and fix the over supply of the market, I believe it would greatly increase the perceived, and thus actual, value of the car.
Basically I agree with you on that. I would just like to emphasize that at Ferrari in particular a Speciale can be identified as a special model of the 458 Italia (called 458 Speciale), the same applies to the Pista (488 GTB and 488 Pista). So at Ferrari the track models are very easy to assign to the base model.

The same at Porsche with the 911series, the designation GT3/GT2 (3 for NA and 2 for forced induction) and GT3/GT2 RS have become deeply engrained in the consciousness. This term is only used in the 911 series, while other designations are used for the other models. At Porsche these designations unmistakably represent the top models of a model series.

McLaren tries it across the series with the term LT (Long-Tail, which alone is a bit of an unfortunate derivation. In this context, the Speedtail immediately comes to mind, which strictly speaking is the only true Long-Tail at McLaren) and also destroys this designation right away with R and HS. Finally at McLaren, each type designation suggests a new model. In my eyes, McLaren is playing with an unfortunate naming convention. But I think McLaren wants to stop this with the new Artura. They will no longer talk about the Sport Series and the Super Series, because no one really understood that.
Regarding the 675LT value is all this definitely not a decisive thing in itself, but it shows that Woking is still learning and that other brands are much better in this respect.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Basically I agree with you on that. I would just like to emphasize that at Ferrari in particular a Speciale can be identified as a special model of the 458 Italia (called 458 Speciale), the same applies to the Pista (488 GTB and 488 Pista). So at Ferrari the track models are very easy to assign to the base model.

The same at Porsche with the 911series, the designation GT3/GT2 (3 for NA and 2 for forced induction) and GT3/GT2 RS have become deeply engrained in the consciousness. This term is only used in the 911 series, while other designations are used for the other models. At Porsche these designations unmistakably represent the top models of a model series.

McLaren tries it across the series with the term LT (Long-Tail, which alone is a bit of an unfortunate derivation. In this context, the Speedtail immediately comes to mind, which strictly speaking is the only true Long-Tail at McLaren) and also destroys this designation right away with R and HS. Finally at McLaren, each type designation suggests a new model. In my eyes, McLaren is playing with an unfortunate naming convention. But I think McLaren wants to stop this with the new Artura. They will no longer talk about the Sport Series and the Super Series, because no one really understood that.
Regarding the 675LT value is all this definitely not a decisive thing in itself, but it shows that Woking is still learning and that other brands are much better in this respect.
Dunno why ppl don’t like the naming of Mclaren, I found it very logical - bigger number, more power - named car ultimate series LE ... now with names you don’t really know what is what. Senna is still somehow relatable as a track car, but Artura etc will be totally meaningless ... which will be better the Fernando or the Kimi or the Lewis and are they all less power full than the James ??? Questions over questions now ...

·
Registered
368 Posts
Think, we’re say the same thing it’s a naming problem, but as Iron 5 said about Ferrari and Porsche the 458 and 911 previous model years ran for 7 years or so. That means predictability/stability. Talk about the 12C to 650 4 years, and the 650 made the 12C plummet. 720 did the same to the 650’s, we can argue they made 3 cars in 6 years as the other 2 made 1.

Ferrari made the same 458 from 2010 to 2016, as said earlier Porsche 911 from 2013 to 2018 no racial changes just step function upgrades. Also from a process/engineering perspective the longer you make the same thing you get better at it/supply chain improvements along with worker training. I said years ago Mclaren needs a good brand manager, and clearly we all love the product/but as I’ve said will not buy new for the above reasons. I think they have it right with the LT naming in a specific produce line similar to a Porsche 911 vs GT3>GT3RS. (Key is 7 years in the product line). You can argue Ferrari killed off the 488 early, and made the F8 which destroyed the 488 still today on resale so un Ferrari. But the print money, and a customer cult like Porsche takes years to build that loyalty.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Think, we’re say the same thing it’s a naming problem, but as Iron 5 said about Ferrari and Porsche the 458 and 911 previous model years ran for 7 years or so. That means predictability/stability. Talk about the 12C to 650 4 years, and the 650 made the 12C plummet. 720 did the same to the 650’s, we can argue they made 3 cars in 6 years as the other 2 made 1.

Ferrari made the same 458 from 2010 to 2016, as said earlier Porsche 911 from 2013 to 2018 no racial changes just step function upgrades. Also from a process/engineering perspective the longer you make the same thing you get better at it/supply chain improvements along with worker training. I said years ago Mclaren needs a good brand manager, and clearly we all love the product/but as I’ve said will not buy new for the above reasons. I think they have it right with the LT naming in a specific produce line similar to a Porsche 911 vs GT3>GT3RS. (Key is 7 years in the product line). You can argue Ferrari killed off the 488 early, and made the F8 which destroyed the 488 still today on resale so un Ferrari. But the print money, and a customer cult like Porsche takes years to build that loyalty.

Well there is quiet different price reactions of the 991 GT3 / GT3rs / GT2rs and the 991:2 GT3 and GT3rs ... while the first batch is much lower than MSRP today only the 991.2 GT3rs and the GT2rs remain more stable ... regular 991s also lost quiet a bit

and Porsche really comes around with a new GT every 12-18 months ... during the 6 years of 991 we had: GT3, GT3rs, 911R, GT2rs, GT2rsCS, 935, GT3v2, GT3rsV2, GT3Touring and Speedster ...

Problem in my opinion is more that all McLaren cars are quiet close to each other on the upper end of the street sports car segment - even the smallest McLaren 540c/570s is more than capable to match a 991 Turbo S ... in the 911 range a 911C and GT2rs are worlds apart ...

·
Registered
368 Posts
Well there is quiet different price reactions of the 991 GT3 / GT3rs / GT2rs and the 991:2 GT3 and GT3rs ... while the first batch is much lower than MSRP today only the 991.2 GT3rs and the GT2rs remain more stable ... regular 991s also lost quiet a bit

and Porsche really comes around with a new GT every 12-18 months ... during the 6 years of 991 we had: GT3, GT3rs, 911R, GT2rs, GT2rsCS, 935, GT3v2, GT3rsV2, GT3Touring and Speedster ...

Problem in my opinion is more that all McLaren cars are quiet close to each other on the upper end of the street sports car segment - even the smallest McLaren 540c/570s is more than capable to match a 991 Turbo S ... in the 911 range a 911C and GT2rs are worlds apart ...
Chris, yes I agree with what you say .....I’m not defending Porsche but more so the strategic vision they have. I agree a 2016 GT3 RS should be under MSRP, but a 187k car now trades in the 155k range. GT3 cars in the production cycle 911 series.

2011 997 GT3 RS

2015 991 GT3
2016 GT3 RS
2016 911R (991) Built for VIP customers only
2018 GT3 & GT2RS last built 2011(Touring is a option to choose no wing built to piss off 911R flippers)
2019 Speedster 1948 built to reflect on Porsche first car launch (only built 5 times in Porsche history first with GT engine)

Porsche is a marketing machine, and all those cars above are in the 991 series and they’re built off one model the 911. Segmentation is 911, and the 999.1 series, and 2011 was the 997.2 series. Buyers or cult followers no what to predict and that holds the pricing. I do think Mclaren will get there because the cars are too good not too, but their product team just sucks. I’m going to have coffee with my Porsche neighbor to see if I can get the MSRP on the new 2021 GT3 release tomorrow :)

·
Registered
633 Posts

I think you are saying something very central and important: at the very end McLaren is addressing a very narrow market segment and is trying to exploit it to the maximum. They are all two-seater mid-engined sports cars with V8 biturbo engines, priced in the super sports car segment and above. And the air is very thin there, even McLaren can't change that. McLaren wanted to put pressure on the competition with their strategy based on a flexible modular system, they have driven the launch of new cars in this segment to the extreme. But as I have already written, in the end these cars are very close to each other with their DNA. For the resale value a catastrophe, and I dare to say that the McLaren new car demand is already starting to shrink. McLaren is well advised to focus on fewer models.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Here in the UK i keep watching prices for 675LTC.. I have had mine for about 18 months now, have covered 14k wonderful miles. I know that’s considered a high mileage car, but even the low mileage cars seem to keep slipping in price. Al Bols has a selection of cars for sale - 2 in chicane grey but not shifting - despite supercars generally moving well.

What do people think on the outlook for these cars? Has the reliability stain for Mclaren generally now damaged the LT cars? Have the volumes of 600LT scared people away? Is it just that the dealers are rubbish and the factory doesn’t really care for owners? Is it the arrival of 765LT?

I love the car, but am constantly surprised that it struggles to be bought - despite its amazing reputation..

Any thoughts welcome!
I view McLarens (although admittedly this extends to all my cars) as meant to be driven, and depreciation be damned. Exotic cars are cheaper than mistresses, easier to get rid of, and at my age, just as much fun!

·
Registered
108 Posts
The European used car market has completely diverged from the US car market due to COVID - all used cars in North America have gone UP through COVID and that includes the 675lt. There were well specced cars going for 210k at the bottom and you'd have to add at least 10% to that today. The COVID bump will probably go away when people have other ways to spend money and/or production ramps back up for new cars but doubt the 675lt inventory will ever go up to 40 cars for sale in the US ever again. That said, there's like over 150 720s' available and with you able to get a brand new, well-optioned 765lt for under 400k, expect those prices to start dropping pretty hard.

·
Registered
220 Posts
There is the Delta Red pre-production car that was at McPhilly for ages, then in California, now at Lambo of Dallas. And they STILL want too much for it. Also there is the Black 675LT that was at Motorcars of Atlanta for ages was wold to someone for about 6 months and 2,000 miles, and now it is back. Miller Motorcars has had the Volcano Yellow car for sale for YEARS. I thought that the rule of thumb is that if you have something listed for sale and it doesn't sell it is priced too high.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys, any thoughts on the Chicane Grey coupe at McLaren Boston? in terms of options, price, and whether the previous owner might have been a member here...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hi guys, any thoughts on the Chicane Grey coupe at McLaren Boston? in terms of options, price, and whether the previous owner might have been a member here...

it’s a great spec. Miles are ideal as well. Negotiate the best deal you can and buy it.

·
Registered
953 Posts
it’s a great spec. Miles are ideal as well. Negotiate the best deal you can and buy it.
I agree
Plus it has/had a warranty so it must have passed some inspection
Not seeing any service history so I would make sure you can get those records to see was done under previous ownership. And, if you do get close, have an inspection done. Also like that you are buying at a mclaren dealer. Seems these have the best results

·
Registered
368 Posts

I’ve seen car for sale the spec is very good, and I’m a tad biased ...........I’m a firm believer buy from a dealer and with warranty it had to pass the Mclaren inspection. Wouldn’t worry about the miles, and whoever owned drove it less than 800 miles a year. Good luck you can be my twin.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve seen car for sale the spec is very good, and I’m a tad biased ...........I’m a firm believer buy from a dealer and with warranty it had to pass the Mclaren inspection. Wouldn’t worry about the miles, and whoever owned drove it less than 800 miles a year. Good luck you can be my twin.
View attachment 209752
Haha I started looking after your thread on Rennlist.

On this car, I actually dont mind miles. Would ease my mind that someone drove it instead of it having issues.

·
Administrator
2,828 Posts

Ive seen the car and it looked quite nice. Also McLaren Boston are good guys to work with.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts