McLaren Life banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently looking to buy a 675LT here in the UK and purchased from Mclaren New Forest a ceramic grey car. The undamaged one owner car actually has been invited over in a major crash on a race track. The dealer carried out the work but didn’t tell me. The car has been returned. This post is to ensure no one else is offered the car which is in my view unsellable UK Reg NJ66VAM
Water Liquid Automotive lighting Fluid Asphalt

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Hood Window Purple Automotive design Violet

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
I am currently looking to buy a 675LT here in the UK and purchased from Mclaren New Forest a ceramic grey car. The undamaged one owner car actually has been invited over in a major crash on a race track. The dealer carried out the work but didn’t tell me. The car has been returned. This post is to ensure no one else is offered the car which is in my view unsellable UK Reg NJ66VAM View attachment 225186
View attachment 225187
View attachment 225189
View attachment 225188
Wait, so you bought the car from a McLaren dealership in the UK, they never told you it was crashed, and you didn’t pick any of this up on the PPI? Please give us some more details on this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the peelable paint covered the real issues and I asked in writing that the car had never been in a crash and the paint was perfect. The reply was it was in top condition. On arrived to collect the car the out of line panels and poorly stuck on carbon alerted me that there could be an issue. It transpired that I was notified by an independent that the car was in a near six figure crash at Ascari driven by the owners friend. The dealer had actually repaired the car to a v poor level. The company didn’t admit to the problem until I wrote to the CEO of Harwoods who own Mclaren New Forest. I never saw the crash report but one thing for sure the car is seriously compromised

·
Registered
869 Posts
the peelable paint covered the real issues and I asked in writing that the car had never been in a crash and the paint was perfect. The reply was it was in top condition. On arrived to collect the car the out of line panels and poorly stuck on carbon alerted me that there could be an issue. It transpired that I was notified by an independent that the car was in a near six figure crash at Ascari driven by the owners friend. The dealer had actually repaired the car to a v poor level. The company didn’t admit to the problem until I wrote to the CEO of Harwoods who own Mclaren New Forest. I never saw the crash report but one thing for sure the car is seriously compromised

Shocked to read this.

Have you managed to get a full refund?

And have the dealer explained why they failed to disclose?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Full refund yes thankfully but dealer hasn’t explained properly except to say the body shop computer system isn’t linked to the sales computer system. This is Harwoods Group which has sales of 500 million so the excuse beggars belief. It was a catastrophic failure of procedures from Mclaren New Forest missing every KPI Mclaren HQ would have set them.

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
Full refund yes thankfully but dealer hasn’t explained properly except to say the body shop computer system isn’t linked to the sales computer system. This is Harwoods Group which has sales of 500 million so the excuse beggars belief. It was a catastrophic failure of procedures from Mclaren New Forest missing every KPI Mclaren HQ would have set them.
They're a car dealer. It's like blaming a compass for pointing north.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I’ll ask again, why wasn’t this picked up on the PPI? Or did you not have one done?
With all due respect, I think you know the answer to that question. I’m not sure what benefit it adds to the discussion for him to reply that there wasn’t one done? I guess you could shove it in his face and tell him that’s why you gets ppi done? Do you know if the dealers allows that in his country? Do you know if there are companies that do that in his country? Do you know what the laws are regarding auto sales on his country? Again, no disrespect intended but a person comes on the board to warn others about a certain cars and to potentially help others and it should be left at that. Just my .02.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’ll ask again, why wasn’t this picked up on the PPI? Or did you not have one done?
This is an official Mclaren dealer. Mclaren work to a precise list of KPIs. The dealer also carried out a dealer health check inspection and sent me the video giving it the all clear!!! The car when I viewed it had peelable paint and I agreed to the purchase based on them confirming in writing that the car had not been damaged. The paint was removed, car valeted and I then viewed it and instantly spotted areas of concern which you could see clearly until that point.
So to conclude this was a complete failure by the dealer to be transparent.I have always bought cars within the official network since 2011 for the exact reason giving peace of mind and quality.
The most important point is that no one else purchases the car at a price that is meant for a low mileage one owner car when it was a near write off.

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
This is an official Mclaren dealer. Mclaren work to a precise list of KPIs. The dealer also carried out a dealer health check inspection and sent me the video giving it the all clear!!! The car when I viewed it had peelable paint and I agreed to the purchase based on them confirming in writing that the car had not been damaged. The paint was removed, car valeted and I then viewed it and instantly spotted areas of concern which you could see clearly until that point.
So to conclude this was a complete failure by the dealer to be transparent.I have always bought cars within the official network since 2011 for the exact reason giving peace of mind and quality.
The most important point is that no one else purchases the car at a price that is meant for a low mileage one owner car when it was a near write off.
Here in the US many buyers get PPI’s even when buying from a McLaren dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
With all due respect, I think you know the answer to that question. I’m not sure what benefit it adds to the discussion for him to reply that there wasn’t one done? I guess you could shove it in his face and tell him that’s why you gets ppi done? Do you know if the dealers allows that in his country? Do you know if there are companies that do that in his country? Do you know what the laws are regarding auto sales on his country? Again, no disrespect intended but a person comes on the board to warn others about a certain cars and to potentially help others and it should be left at that. Just my .02.
Definitely not shoving anything in anyone’s face, I was just trying to clarify the whole situation because I had asked a question a while back about getting a PPI done on a car from a McLaren dealership, and overwhelmingly everyone said yes that it should be done. I don’t know the rules/regulations where the OP lives, so that was another reason I asked.

·
Registered
'15 650S Coupe, Aurora Blue
669 Posts
Really? From what I was told it seemed commonplace. I guess I was wrong! Learn something new every day.
I bought mine from across the country without inspection BUT, I was getting it CPO'd in the price... Maybe this was the same or still under warranty?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts