McLaren Life banner

675LT as daily driver?

12K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  kermit675 
#1 ·
Have an opportunity to purchase 675LT, I know it must be an incredible car! ( have not driven it yet, will try it in 1—2 weeks), my questions is this car would be my car to use almost every day ( was thinking of 650S) is this to much of a track car? To use on the road ?

#4 · (Edited)
Your no fun! Of course you can use it daily,better ride quality than any other super car,the lift negates the front splitter problem,as much carrying capacity as any mclaren ,which is loads,I've never hit anything in 4 years reversing without a camera, fuel economy is world class for this vehicle,rear quarter on the coupe is ok.... It's only an inch wider than standard and with the best driving position it feels far narrower ,only issue is the turning circle.... Now either you were jesting NB or you've never really used a Mclaren out in the wild ,man up :)

#5 ·
i love the jesting, it is FUN, soon the truth comes out but i doubt many will be used for the road due to how it is advertised, so i imagine we will not know what sort of gas mileage it is capable of though there is generally no free ride, - with more power generally comes less gas mileage. i have yet to hear that a 650s is getting as good gas mileage as a mp4 and not much difference between them though McLaren definitely understates everything. in years to come we shall all learn more.

#6 ·
I used the 12C a lot for daily driving.. but I have to admit.. I would not take it everywhere. Parking is an issue - you can't always park in tight parking spaces given the doors. The lift helps but it's really slow.

I would say get a fiat or mini for daily driving and use the 675LT for a weekender.

#7 ·
RGuGIG. So the answer, like all lawyers give, is 'it depends.' Look, there is no doubt it's more hassle driving this car than a honda civic. But it's not like a countach or something painful like that.

Ride comfort- on the 12C is better than most regular cars, short of a Sclass, you'll be comfortable. Shmee has reported that the comfort level in "normal" mode is very good too.

Clearance- the 12C will scrape if you head straight on to things, but if you learn to approach at aan angle, you can get around pretty huge terrain. I imagine the lift makes things easier, but hear it's slow. Let's put it this way, I daily drive in NYC. It's not a problem. This is likely the biggest difference in usability from the 12C as the nose has a bigger front splitter and likely a touch lower. So I think the lift here is needed, and you need someone with a 675 to chime in how well it works.

(in/e)gress - No doubt, the carbon tub makes entry and exit a bit tougher than in a civic. If you're a relatively spry person, it's not a big deal or an issue. The less ambulatory you are, the tougher this may be. Best thing to do is go try getting in and out and judge for yourself.

Comfort. - If you get the electric seats, they are super comfy even on long drives. Most 675s will have bucket seats which are good for 30-90minutes depending on who you listen to. But I've driven with the electric seats for 5 hour stretches and gotten out feeling fresh. Further, the ergonomics in the cabin are 1st rate, as is the seating position great.

Fuel economy - it's amongst the best in it's segment. In the city I regularly get 18mpg and I drive it in manual mode (which seems to reduce fuel mileage by about 4-5mpg). A lot of folks that drive it in auto mode regularly report getting low to mid 20s for fuel mileage.

Media - if you need to do a lot of phone calls, this is not the car for you. Bluetooth and cabin noise are pretty bad. With the latest updates, the ipod playing finally seems to work pretty well. Radio works 'ok' and satellite radio works 'ok.' I took a 3 month road trip and it was pretty good. The NAV is ok. It's among the better NAVs that are built in, but that's a statement in relativity. It's great in a pinch and when there is no cell coverage on your phone.

Storage - So if you get the coupe, you have a good amount of storage. In the front trunk, you can fit 2 carry on bags, couple of smaller laptop bags and bit more. With the coupe you also get a rear shelf. I've done full grocery shopping of like 10 plastic bags worth that fit back there with no problem. In the spider, you don't get the shelf, but the 675 will have it.

Parking. I haven't had problems and I've gone to the grocery, costco, walmart etc. I just park in the back. Restaurants or parking garage's aren't a problem. But I think this depends on your level of uneasiness. I think having wrapped my entire car in Xpel made me way more comfortable with parking it everywhere (even on my 3month road trip , parking in all kinds of dives in the middle of nowhere).

Anyway, all that said, it's my daily driver. My only regret is I didn't get the car sooner. Good luck and let us know what you decide!

#8 ·
I drive mine Neo EVERYwhere, EVERYday. 19,600 miles in almost 2 years. it has experienced frost and a little ice but no snow as yet. It LOVES the rain, i could not imagine a better auto in the rain or one more fun to drive in the rain! You are correct, tight spots are an issue but people seem to stay away from me which helps but i do not invite problems. I do not have a lift and wonder how often i would use it if i did, simple because it is slow and i am usually not wanting to wait around more than driving slowly over an obsticle. At 9500 feet in the Rockies over 173 miles i got 28.5 mpg, in Utah, freeway driving with traffic i got 29.9 mpg over a 138 mile run. lol, still today i am a big hit at the mcdonalds drive thru everywhere, smile, and i stop for small children who want to look at and sit in my auto to have their photo taken as they tell their parents all about a McLaren... Yet, even the mp4 has far too big a turning diameter for my liking compared to a porsche, but i manage well enough.

#9 ·
Zombie, I would like to add, if i close my windows i cannot even hear the motor it is soooo quiet. i have a 2014 spider and it seems where ever i go i hear about how different and updated the 2014 must be compared to the earlier models. my doors do not require slaming, they close perfectly. for city city as you i get about the same on short runs. i drove 4,400 miles in six days a few weeks ago when i got my 200 mph pin and was actually able to get close to 500 miles out of a tank of gas and i was sooo comfortable all the time. i am close to six feet and i could strectch my legs out fully, though note i generally do not wear shoes while driving. I do not have the rear shelf as you do, but with the spider i carry a mountain bike so storage has never been an issue.
I csannot think of ANY other auto that i would prefer instead of my McLaren and my McLaren really does it all and does all of it (except for carrying 3 or more people) better than any other auto i know of. i hope to have it until i pass as long as i can come up with the monies to keep it going like maintenance and insurance, sheesh, insurance is high for old people......

#27 ·
Anyone seriously considering using the LT as a daily driver under “average“ driving conditions where McLaren service can be had should plan to own 2 LTs instead of 1. The 2nd one will hopefully tide you over while the other one’s in the shop for wheel, undercarriage and bodywork repairs. :eek::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

At any rate, too much of the same fare always becomes boring and your car tends to end up looking like the roads it is driven on unless you allow down time for proper “R and R”. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.