McLaren Life banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Tough call and certainly depends on the actual deal you can get on either car. Before the LT spider I would have said LT slam dunk but now not so sure as you mention some sensitivity to resale values. Both cars may depreciate for several years and my opinion is that if you pay over msrp for one, you are compounding your risk. There seems to be a high number of LT coupes hitting the classified considering how few have been delivered, which I view as a negative sign.

The LM is a cosmetic special but certainly a very nice one because of the scoop and wheels. One would assume you could find one for considerably less than LT coupe msrp, which probably makes your downside risk for the 5 year timeframe less.

LT is faster no doubt but LM will be far more rare at your car events as you say, and also won't be upstaged by an LM spider pulling up, as no spider version exists.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
There is no way a 675LT Coupe will be upstaged by a 675LT Spider at an event. The lines of the Coupe make it so much more beautiful to me, and others, just as the Spider appeals to others, as well.

The LM, while I love it, and almost got one, lacks the aggression that the LT depicts with its styling.

And if you manage to get an LT w/Roof Scoop? Fuggedabouddit.
I tend to agree personally but then again the spider is generally seen as more chic and with a higher msrp the premium of the 2 models in the eyes of some (perhaps even mc as they set the prices). Hence the upstage. Think Aperta even though the respective volumes vary. Again not necessarily my opinion just being sensitive to OP's criteria.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
I have a hunch we will see a LOT of mclaren road cars with roof scoops in the future. This management are not ones to pass up a money making opportunity and they certainly will not care if it denigrates previous models in any way. I wouldn't even be surprised to see them working on a folding roof with a scoop so that the spider variants can have it.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
I agree with that.. would sell my other cars and just buy this. It's such a great car.
Heh. This sentiment always seems to appear on forums when people talk residuals. Never seen a single person actually do it though. By the time (if) resale has dipped that low, they always chicken out vs doubling down.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
I'm surprised McLaren hasn't pushed this as a central design feature of all coupes. Seeing as how it was on the F1 and very few other companies do it - it sets them apart.

On the flip side, being selfish, I hope they don't make a ton of roof scooped coupes. I like mine relatively rare. :D
I hope so too neo.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
I bought three C63 Black Series cars. I put my money where my mouth is. ;)

I bought multiple 991 50th Anniversary editions, as well.

I'll do the same with the LT if/when the right car presents itself (I'm particular on spec).
I suppose so! Did all those cars depreciate 25%?

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
+1

There are Spider guys, and Coupe guys. I'm a Coupe guy. There are enough of both to float both cars' values.

Manufacturers like pushing Spiders because they tend to be priced higher.

There is a weird cultural thing that states that convertibles are more "high class."

That's all bullshit to me, as a DE / track enthusiast.
Well mc certainly does their part to confuse the issue, by likening the spiders to open cockpit Fo1 cars. Also it could be argued that Mr Senna is a track enthusiast of sorts, despite opting for the spider!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts