McLaren Life banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! New to the forum and am looking into the 650S LeMans and 675LT. I understand they are both rare cars and it may take some time to find one. I wanted to get your opinions on both cars and which may be a better fit.

A little background may help, so here goes. I currently have a '14 Aventador, which I really like. It is my fourth Lambo but first V12. The other three were Gallardo variants. I started this crazy journey with a 997.1 GT3. Probably a natural progression for a lot of us exotic enthusiasts. I tend to only drive to car events and on fun runs with other owners. The new car would see a little track time. I only own one exotic at a time but feel lucky to do that.

So, here I am now looking to possibly switch gears into a McLaren. Why? I have driven both the 12C and 650S and think they are both phenomenal machines. I can't imagine what a LT must be like. I also like unique cars and think the LeMans and LT definitely fit the bill. I will share my thoughts and would appreciate any advice you guys/gals may have.

My first choice is the LT, of course. I haven't heard or read very much negative about it. I love the looks and it checks all of the boxes for a supercar. Rolling art that has no comparable competition. I also like the LeMans. The roof scoop and fender louvers are awesome. The rear diffuser is also a nice touch. I'm not a huge fan of the wheels (no offense). There is one for sale in Philly. I'm not a McLaren expert, so here are a few questions:

I'm pretty sure the 675 is going to hold its value well. The LeMans, I'm not so sure about. Any thoughts?

Is the $363 and change a fair price for a LeMans edition? Seems a tad high to me.

Any guesses as to a ballpark price on a used 675? I'm thinking 400-500.

What dealers would you guys recommend or avoid?

Any other Advice? Thanks for the help everyone. It's always an exciting thing to begin the "chase" for a car. Look forward to hearing from you.

·
Registered
324 Posts
If you want an LT there are some available. I know Sadpanda has a thread going, he has a brand new car for sale for just slightly over MSRP. There are a handful more in the market values thread for some that are at dealerships from folks that backed out and switched to Spyders.

Shouldn't be hard to find a car right now, but I don't know how long that will last.

Me personally, I don't think the LeMans version is worth the price.. but that's just me. It's just a 650S with difference cosmetics, but the 675LT is a very different car all together. If you were to drive a 650S and 675LT back to back, I think you'd be hard pressed to go back to the 650S. The 675 is a very engaging experience. I wouldn't give mine up and I've only put 1400 miles on it. It's an animal.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Cj Wilson is ur guy to talk to about driving experience between the two . He's of the opinion that 675 lt is head and shoulders above the road legal cars he has or driven (don't think he put the p1 in that comparison). Obviously there is at least a 50k price difference between the two

From the top of my head I remember the Le Mans initial pricing was about 50k higher then where it actually ended up being.

In terms of dealers; I'm betting that the Le Mans and 675 lt cars are probably consigned (resale deals). I don't think the cars selling price is going to be dependent on the dealer but rather the individual owner who had consigned it.

Since u are going to be new to the brand you are probably going to be better off by buying locally. It's good to buy locally for future purposes in obtaining the limited edition cars (seems dealership rules regarding selling new cars out of market is being tightened up.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
650 LM is a very special car. But if it were my money I'd probably put it into a 675.

I personally love all of the details on the LM, and the homage to the 1995 winner was well done. And fifty cars is a truly limited run. 1,000 cars, on the other hand, is essentially a full production vehicle for McLaren. If the heritage and rarity are meaningful to you, then the LM has more weight.

Counter-points: McLaren is developing a penchant for many "special editions" which dilute the specialness of each edition. Value wise, both the LM and 675 are sure to appreciate, but it might take a decade or more, by which time you probably won't own either car. The roof scoop was the thing that really set the LM apart from any other 650, but you can now get that on the 675. Still, there are other features that remain unique to the LM.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Bruno Senna was so blown away he has insisted on getting the first in the Uk.... Best road car he has ever driven he told me,and is putting his money where his mouth is...... 675,although it has to be a Spider for his home in Monaco !!

·
Registered
6,901 Posts
Tough call and certainly depends on the actual deal you can get on either car. Before the LT spider I would have said LT slam dunk but now not so sure as you mention some sensitivity to resale values. Both cars may depreciate for several years and my opinion is that if you pay over msrp for one, you are compounding your risk. There seems to be a high number of LT coupes hitting the classified considering how few have been delivered, which I view as a negative sign.

The LM is a cosmetic special but certainly a very nice one because of the scoop and wheels. One would assume you could find one for considerably less than LT coupe msrp, which probably makes your downside risk for the 5 year timeframe less.

LT is faster no doubt but LM will be far more rare at your car events as you say, and also won't be upstaged by an LM spider pulling up, as no spider version exists.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Your first choice is the right choice. The 675LT is a transformed driving experience over the 650S and they're only making 500 in coupe and 500 in spider. So it's WAY more than rare than a 12C/650S. There are cars available now because people are either (a) taking profits from the demand for them or (b) really wanted a spider instead and realize they can also take profits from their coupes. But you can't walk into a dealer and order one to your spec because those are all gone. So if you can find a used one you like, and you can stomach the high price, you should snap one up because you'll enjoy the hell out of it. That's not to say you wouldn't enjoy the LM but the driving experience of the LM (except for maybe some slightly increased air induction noise in the cabin due to the roof scoop) isn't going to differ from a 650S at all. If they had added even 10 more HP to the LM, or a bigger spoiler on the back, I'd put them on even footing because the 650S is still one hell of a fine car. Now, if you want to save some money and have a roof scoop and the new wheels with your 650S then getting an LM is a perfectly good way to do it while having something with a bit of a name to it. But I'd go for the 675LT every time in this situation if the money weren't an issue.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
There is no way a 675LT Coupe will be upstaged by a 675LT Spider at an event. The lines of the Coupe make it so much more beautiful to me, and others, just as the Spider appeals to others, as well.

The LM, while I love it, and almost got one, lacks the aggression that the LT depicts with its styling.

And if you manage to get an LT w/Roof Scoop? Fuggedabouddit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm pretty set on the LT. It's just a matter of finding one that makes sense. From what I've read on here and seen online, there appear to be about 5-6 on the market. I really like the Volcano Red I saw in the other thread with the 5 LTs in one pic but I'm sure that is already owned. They have good taste. I'm looking into the Chicane cars that have recently become available. I agree with Green Lantern too, I'm a coupe guy. Love the lines. Any dealer recommendations? Particularly ones to avoid. I've dealt with Lambo NB for my last few cars and they've been great! I know they deal with McLarens as well and have a call into them. Hopefully I can find one in the near future.

·
Registered
6,901 Posts
There is no way a 675LT Coupe will be upstaged by a 675LT Spider at an event. The lines of the Coupe make it so much more beautiful to me, and others, just as the Spider appeals to others, as well.

The LM, while I love it, and almost got one, lacks the aggression that the LT depicts with its styling.

And if you manage to get an LT w/Roof Scoop? Fuggedabouddit.
I tend to agree personally but then again the spider is generally seen as more chic and with a higher msrp the premium of the 2 models in the eyes of some (perhaps even mc as they set the prices). Hence the upstage. Think Aperta even though the respective volumes vary. Again not necessarily my opinion just being sensitive to OP's criteria.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would just start calling every dealer. I found quite a few this way. If you find one you will need to act fast as cars are moving quickly. Some dealers are concerned about selling into other territories. If you live a certain distance (I think 35 miles) from an authorized dealer and another dealer sells to you, there is some penalty from McLaren imposed on the selling dealership.

Slightly used cars are showing up and they're asking premiums over MSRP. I would try and find a new one at a dealership @MSRP.

There is a new Chicane Grey at a dealership that I think the buyer may pass on. If he does I will pm you the dealership and salesperson.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts