McLaren Life banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Afternoon guys. I Hope you're all well wherever you're reading this from. I purchased a Mclaren 650s (I'm based in the UK) from a well known Salvage auction and have begun to start a rebuild. Its a Storm grey coupe 2015, 16k miles on the clock. It has sustained front end damage (drivers side) and specifically I've had to purchase a new set of Headlights (both were missing from the car), Chassis leg, Crash bar, luggage tub amongst other parts.

I've started stripping the car down today with my father (the mechanic and brains behind this build) and we've uncovered an issue with the brakes on the drivers side. The brake Disc is warped and cracked, caliper has the pistons missing and the brake cable on the caliper had been cut... plenty more to uncover I think based on what we've found so far :) however these are the joys of buying a car from a Salvage auction :)

The reason for this thread is to document my journey throughout the build and I intend to photograph/ video record and vlog/blog the different stages throughout the build. Currently we're working on the car at home (as our workshop is under construction, once this is completed we intend to finish the car off there).

It would be good to hear people's thoughts and share ideas on the build, I really think this may be the cheapest Mclaren 650s on the Planet :) and would like to take you on this journey with us...

I shall post some pictures in the thread on the car in its current state and throughout the build. Stay Tuned for more... Thanks

SMac

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys. Surprisingly given the prices at the moment for Parts/ Spares, we've managed to source the bulk of the items from within the UK I intend to do a comparison between what I paid, against the dealers invoice, there is a huge difference..

My father has a lot of experience in mechanics therefore has the knowhow. Combined with my experience of scouring forums for information I think we can get the job done.

I shall post some pics this evening all being well :)

Some of today's tasks involved stripping the front end down, and removing the Chasis leg and crash bar, removal of the Caliper and brake Disc, removal of the old (damaged) steering wheel and swapping over of the carbon fibre insert (on the old wheel onto the new one) and replacing the steering wheel.

I'll be in touch with pics and updates :)

SMac

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So here we are with the first batch of Pics. I purchased the car back in April 2021 and have been sourcing parts from various different places (I shall explain why its taken so long).

After winning the bid for the car I actually reserved a 650s front end from a Salvage yard based in Nottingham (UK)... However they pulled the rug from beneath my feet when they told me their "boss" no longer wanted to sell the front end as he'd just purchased another car with the same damage (sounded fishy to me) they were quick to refund the money, maybe they didn't have the front end at all? This was also around the time the Suez canal had a blockage, the retailer used this to their advantage to delay me even more and providing updates at a snails pace... Who knows what actually happened with the front end. This made me want to get the car back on the road even more so...

The images attached are the car as it left the Salvage Auction..
IMG-20210330-WA0019.jpg
IMG-20210330-WA0012.jpg
IMG-20210330-WA0015.jpg
IMG-20210330-WA0016.jpg
IMG-20210330-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20210330-WA0008.jpg

·
Registered
'15 650S Coupe, Aurora Blue
84 Posts
Kinda weird.... Airbags didn't deploy! :oops:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kinda weird.... Airbags didn't deploy! :oops:
Yes. On replacing the steering wheel (snapped at the top possibly due to the previous accident) it appears this steering wheel has been off before and the cables connecting the airbag to the Squib wasn't connected, the wires look perished. It's likely this may have been deployed before and whoever had it has done a half assed job of repairing it...

I'm now looking at replacing these wires.. Pics to follow...

Also I have managed to retrofit the carbon insert of the old Steering wheel onto the new one I purchased. The new one had the plastic insert in the centre and I like the carbon fibre much more 😎

SMac

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here are some updated pics of the car as it is: currently:
20210718_130942.jpg
20210718_130919.jpg
20210718_130228.jpg
20210718_130237.jpg
20210718_130151.jpg
VideoCapture_20210722-084024.jpg
VideoCapture_20210722-084002.jpg
VideoCapture_20210722-083908.jpg
VideoCapture_20210722-083812.jpg

The Wings have been removed as well as the luggage compartment, Chassis Leg and the front Wheels. I've also attached images of other issues we came across, notably a cracked/ warped disc and damaged airbag wires..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you so much. It seemed so much more daunting initially. However now that we've identified the problems we're facing at the moment we have resolved most of them. I just want to get the car on the road (fingers crossed) and enjoy it hopefully :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts