McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Afraid that I really don't like that. Both the wheels and exhausts looking very aftermarket.

I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking "desperate ploy to offload the last of the MonoCells before they kill off the 650". Or maybe I am?

·
Recent Convert
860 Posts
Afraid that I really don't like that. Both the wheels and exhausts looking very aftermarket.

I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking "desperate ploy to offload the last of the MonoCells before they kill off the 650". Or maybe I am?
No you are spot on
McLaren have taken a page out of Astons books ;)
Raid a few parts bins, mess with a special colour scheme and call it a limited edition
Great if you like it I'm not remotely tempted but I can see why others would be
They did something similar last year and only sold a handful.

http://cars.mclaren.com/mso-limited

I guess most people saw through that, this may be the same.
It isn't different enough like the Le Mans & 675LT were IMHO

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Citylad was claiming the 650 Can-Am would be the spider version of the 675LT, guess he's wrong? Oh no how can he not be right.....

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Citylad was claiming the 650 Can-Am would be the spider version of the 675LT, guess he's wrong? Oh no how can he not be right.....
I did at one point very early on think that the name would work, with the 50th, etc.....but not hard to work out what this was going to be......

675LT-SP sounds fine to me......

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Not a fan of this at all. No issue with doing a special edition to mop up the parts bin but calling it Can Am is a massive missed opportunity IMO.

I may have been a buyer for a car that has the appearance of the 675 in spider form, with some differences (for instance, don't mind the carbon roof) and doesn't even need the full 675 hp, but does need the harder edged driving experience which I don't think this has?

Waste of a really great name and part of McLaren heritage. The fact that Bruce McLaren was killed in a Can Am car should mean McLaren attach a sort of reverence to any car that bears the name, whereas this is just a superficial special edition. And the number on the side looks stupid on a £250k car.

A bit more thought could have been given to this car, unless I'm missing something?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Not to my personal tastes. Looks like its aftermarket rather than OEM and not very cohesive.
Maybe it will appeal to others

·
Registered
230 Posts
Agree with all unimpressed comments.

The specs are unfortunate, but I'm sure the 50 Global Limited Production run will keep the value on these above water for future collectors. Just will take an extraordinary amount of time for any ROI

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Well time to take the chain saw out...sorry but I think my original thoughts were correct. Now if only I could remember what those were.

This should be a special car considering the history. I'm trying to schedule a one day hit and run from Westchester to MSO to work out a bunch of details. Interested to see a model in the flesh.

I hope all those 675 LT spider deposits didn't add up to 50. lol

Maybe Andy knows what the official hp is for the LT I thought it was 666hp someone quoted.

I still would like the LT engine(666 hp) in a CanAm so it would be officially a beast. (As in number of the beast 666)

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,165 Posts
Agree with all unimpressed comments.

The specs are unfortunate, but I'm sure the 50 Global Limited Production run will keep the value on these above water for future collectors. Just will take an extraordinary amount of time for any ROI
I cannot quite tell, but it doesn't have the revised 675 nose does it? I like the upturned 675 nose and would have thought it would have at least had that revised styling (perhaps minus the to side blades) at the nose bottom.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts