McLaren Life banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've used them on 720s and 600 LT. I liked them on 720s (fastest laps I did was with Nankang (comparing to goodyear 3r (however, I was more motivated as I had a Senna on my a$$)).

They felt ok on 600 LT but I didn't particularly like them vs. the goodyear 3r or trofeo.
on the 600, how were the AR1 different from the 3Rs and the Trofeos? I put AR1s on mine, haven't tried the others...

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
on the 600, how were the AR1 different from the 3Rs and the Trofeos? I put AR1s on mine, haven't tried the others...
I can only go by lap time, and goodyear 3r give the best lap time. About the same cost as the nankang and both much cheaper then trofeo's.

Most of the regular track guys with mclarens in my area are using goodyear 3r's. The best bang for the $$$.

My coach was at COTA this past week-end. On Saturday he did a 2:18 with fresh trofeo tries with 675 LT. On Sunday he did 2:14 with goodyear 3r's. (a bit warmer on Saturday but all of us prefer the goodyear 3r's over in my area (probably at least 20 mclaren people using them; 600 LT, 720s, 675)

I'd take nankang ar-1 only if the goodyear 3r is not available (ie; sold out or take some time to be delivered).

·
Registered
45 Posts
I can only go by lap time, and goodyear 3r give the best lap time. About the same cost as the nankang and both much cheaper then trofeo's.

Most of the regular track guys with mclarens in my area are using goodyear 3r's. The best bang for the $$$.

My coach was at COTA this past week-end. On Saturday he did a 2:18 with fresh trofeo tries with 675 LT. On Sunday he did 2:14 with goodyear 3r's. (a bit warmer on Saturday but all of us prefer the goodyear 3r's over in my area (probably at least 20 mclaren people using them; 600 LT, 720s, 675)

I'd take nankang ar-1 only if the goodyear 3r is not available (ie; sold out or take some time to be delivered).
interesting, thx. I loved the AR1s on my GT3 so I went with the same I know different car... . Will try the 3Rs after b/c of your input

·
Registered
9 Posts
Guys @unmac @Arrowheaddoc can you confirm the sizes your running on the AR-1s?

235/35/19 and 285/35/19? as this would mean an increase of diameter on the front so want to check no negatives before I purchase. Thanks

·
Registered
1,644 Posts

235/35/19 and 285/35/19? as this would mean an increase of diameter on the front so want to check no negatives before I purchase. Thanks
235/35/19 fronts and 285/35/20 rears.

the OEM size of 225 is not carried by nankang or goodyear. I've been running 235 on the fronts of 600 LT with Nankang and Goodyear. A lot of people have been running goodyear on 600 LT and we have all been using 235 on OEM wheels. There is no issues

245's were not available in goodyear's for 720s. I was running 235 fronts and OEM size rear's (305). (goodyear 3r came out with 245 size june/july 2020).

Also; I've been using 235/315 hoosiers with finspeed wheels on 600 LT. (i flip back and forth between the goodyear's (oem wheels) and hoosiers.

I've used nankang ar-1 tires for about 3 track days with 600 LT, about 5 track days with trofeos (I only used the initial set that came with the car) and probably about 15 track days with the goodyear 3r's.

Nankang ar -1: 235 fronts/285 rears
Goodyear: 235 fronts/285 rears
finspeed/hoosiers: 235 fronts/315 rear

Reactions: Arrowheaddoc

·
Registered
45 Posts

I put the AR1s 305/30/20 in the rears on OEM wheels. This size tire is .7 of an inch shorter than the OEM and shouldn't be an issue as it's about a 2.5% difference. On McL the difference will have to be ~4% or more to freak out abs... we'll see how it performs on the track, going out end of April ...also famous last words: "shouldn't be an issue" lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
A little bump on this thread as it’s gone a bit quiet.... I’ve been running Cup2s (235 front) and been very happy with the tyre as a good road/track car. I’ll be testing Trofeo next once the Cups are worn.

Ive also been testing my new spacer design I’ve been working on... for the 235 tyre given the extra 10mm width adding more with a spacer doesn’t work. However 13mm at the rear looks and feels good and more in portion with the 235 fronts.

Ive also gone with 1mm toe out at the front which has given a little more ‘cut in’ on turning into corners on track.

Pagid pads are working very well such a big improvement over stock pads! Although long term working on my own conversion with AP Racing.

Id be keen to hear what aftermarket wheel setup folks are using and offsets/dimensions running if anyone can share their experience.

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Alias,

I run the AP kit with Finspeed wheels with 235/35 19s up front and 315/35 19s in the rear. Great setup. You can see a lot of what they have on their IG page.

Kurt

·
Registered
608 Posts
I ran finspeeds 245/305 in cup2s. Nice balance.

Reactions: Kfehling
21 - 33 of 33 Posts