McLaren Life banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

New to the forum, new to McLaren as well.
Tried to search the forum for track specs for the 600LT and found limited info divided into several threads. As I use the LT 80% on the track, thought that I’m not the only one tracking a lot and wanted to make a separate thread for us track guys to share info on alignment specs, tires, pressures, brakes etc.

After two GT3 RS’s swapped the latest to a 600LT and have been super happy with the car. Mainly tracked the RS on the Nurburgring, so track specs weren’t an issue as Manthey was the go-to place that handled the alignment and suggested on all other aspects as well. With the 600LT, found myself a bit on my own and thought to ask around here for tips.

My current setup:
-Trofeo R’s (2.1 bar all around hot)
-Stock suspension
-Camber Front -3.0, rear -2.5, toe 3.0 all around
-stock brakes
-currently running stock brake pads
-Car settings - ESC dynamic, suspension and engine in track mode

Tires - Trofeo outer walls were eaten up after two track days (50 laps on ~4km track) with stock alignment. After increasing camber for the third trak day (as mentioned above) tire wear seems more even, but front might need more camber. Getting Cup 2’s in a few days and will report back on the wear with the above mentioned alignment.

Brake pads - used Pagid RSC1 for the first two track days (two different tracks) and noticed that the brakes don’t bite well every time, ran long a couple of times, although used same braking points and applied more or less equal pressure.
For the third track day swapped to stock brake pads and changed the brake fluid (Castrol SRF), no problems noticed. Don’t know whether the stock pads worked better or what the problem was. Will go back to Pagids and see whether the problem comes back. Stock pads seemed to wear much quicker than Pagids.

Would prefer more grip on the front end so looking for suggestions on spacer sizes and max width tires for the stock wheels (want to try this out before going to aftermarket wheels). Alignment/suspension/brake setups would be also interesting to here.

Looking for a tow strap for the front as well, if anyone knows of vendors selling ones that bolt into the stock location, would be of great help!

Looking forward to making this a helpful thread for all of us.

Thanks!
-Ashish

·
Registered
856 Posts
A lot of us use goodyear f1 supercar 3r tires in 235/35/19 and 285/35/20 sizes, which are half the cost of trofeo R. Car is balanced, with minimal understeer which can always be corrected with throttle.

Stock camber eats front tires. Running -2.2 F/ -2.0 R camber with even wear across the width. Tires after 10 20min sessions:

Brakes - aftermarket Girodisc rotors/pads to save on replacement cost. More details in other threads here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Valentin! What hot tire pressure are you running? Do the girodisc pads wear as fast as the stock carbon ceramics?

·
Registered
639 Posts
very intresting post, dont have a 600 lt , but still a 675 and a 620 r on order, APEX nuburgring told me manthey did thier geometry. i ve contacted manthey and yes they offer set up for mclarens.
i m interesting about the complete ap racing kit (calipers + discs) because if you discs are heavier , calipers are lighter... and rather than suface transform ceramic discs you can use cheaper pads.
forget pscup R i tried them on my pista and yes they are fast but the longevity is ridiculous

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Thanks for the info Valentin! What hot tire pressure are you running? Do the girodisc pads wear as fast as the stock carbon ceramics?
32 psi hot is about the right number to run the goodyears (note: I don't believe goodyear's are available in europe). The street pressures are supposed to be 36 psi (tires are made for the much heavier camaro).

Robert with Apex Taxi had told me to try the Nankang AR-1 (which is available in Europe and what he uses). They cost about the same as goodyear's, last about the same and have similar type grip (I've tried them on 720s and 600 LT). I liked them on 720s but didn't get a good feel for them on 600 LT (probably just me and not the tires (I'm more of a 720s fan then 600 LT fan). I generally run Goodyear 3r on 720s/600 LT.

I track with Valentin (the fastest 600 LT/gt3rs ) driver in California. Just in case he doesn't come back and post; his last girodisc pads lasted him 12 track days (60 sessions (one session is 20 minutes)).

Reactions: Spr

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
very intresting post, dont have a 600 lt , but still a 675 and a 620 r on order, APEX nuburgring told me manthey did thier geometry. i ve contacted manthey and yes they offer set up for mclarens.
i m interesting about the complete ap racing kit (calipers + discs) because if you discs are heavier , calipers are lighter... and rather than suface transform ceramic discs you can use cheaper pads.
forget pscup R i tried them on my pista and yes they are fast but the longevity is ridiculous
I’m stuck with my LT in Russia due to COVID, otherwise I’m sure Manthey would’ve helped with the setup.

Availability of semislicks here is very limited, so had to go with what was available

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i notice you said that with your camber modification the wear of the front tyres increase ?
with the current camber setup the wear is much better than stock. Will know more with new tires and will report back after this weekend if weather permits.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
32 psi hot is about the right number to run the goodyears (note: I don't believe goodyear's are available in europe). The street pressures are supposed to be 36 psi (tires are made for the much heavier camaro).

Robert with Apex Taxi had told me to try the Nankang AR-1 (which is available in Europe and what he uses). They cost about the same as goodyear's, last about the same and have similar type grip (I've tried them on 720s and 600 LT). I liked them on 720s but didn't get a good feel for them on 600 LT (probably just me and not the tires (I'm more of a 720s fan then 600 LT fan). I generally run Goodyear 3r on 720s/600 LT.

I track with Valentin (the fastest 600 LT/gt3rs ) driver in California. Just in case he doesn't come back and post; his last girodisc pads lasted him 12 track days (60 sessions (one session is 20 minutes)).
Thanks for the info! Seems like the carbon ceramic pads could last longer, but probably need to be swapped about the same time as girodisc pads..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Switched to Cup 2’s today. Anyone running them? What tire pressure are you using on track?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Feedback from running Cup 2’s - two trackdays with a total of about 60 laps (~250kms in total).

Hot tire pressure 2.1 bar. In comparison to Trofeo R, feels that the front end has less grip (although Cup 2’s are slightly wider 235 vs 225 on Trofeo). Rear feels more or less the same. Cup 2s will last longer but slower in my opinion.

Will be switching back to Pirellis as soon as Michelins are gone.

Would prefer more grip on the front end. Anybody running aftermarket wheels with larger tires? Please share some info on wheel/tire specs.

Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
A lot of us use goodyear f1 supercar 3r tires in 235/35/19 and 285/35/20 sizes, which are half the cost of trofeo R. Car is balanced, with minimal understeer which can always be corrected with throttle.

Stock camber eats front tires. Running -2.2 F/ -2.0 R camber with even wear across the width. Tires after 10 20min sessions:

View attachment 206443

Brakes - aftermarket Girodisc rotors/pads to save on replacement cost. More details in other threads here.
@Valentin what's your toe setup, please? Where do you track? I'm in southern Cal and track here often. Just got a 600LT for track mostly, haven't met many 600LTs on track...

·
Registered
36 Posts
The 10 spoke ultralight wheels are 3.87kg front per wheel and 4.64 rear per wheel. Not sure about the weight of the 5 spoke wheels.
What is the source of that data? That is too light to be true (8.5lb and 10.2lb) for me, even carbon fibre wheels would probably weigh more.

·
Owner
896 Posts
What is the source of that data? That is too light to be true (8.5lb and 10.2lb) for me, even carbon fibre wheels would probably weigh more.
570S optional superlight wheels are ~18 lbF, 20 lb/R

·
Registered
9 Posts
Any more updates from anyone? Im looking at moving to the Nankang AR-1s which are 235/35/19 and 285/35/19 looks like the rolling diameter is increased and want to check if anyones running similar sizes on track without any problems.

Ref Ceramics - I've just started to put together designs for my own conversion to iron rotors will feedback as the project progresses ;)

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Any more updates from anyone? Im looking at moving to the Nankang AR-1s which are 235/35/19 and 285/35/19 looks like the rolling diameter is increased and want to check if anyones running similar sizes on track without any problems.

Ref Ceramics - I've just started to put together designs for my own conversion to iron rotors will feedback as the project progresses ;)
I've used them on 720s and 600 LT. I liked them on 720s (fastest laps I did was with Nankang (comparing to goodyear 3r (however, I was more motivated as I had a Senna on my a$$)).

They felt ok on 600 LT but I didn't particularly like them vs. the goodyear 3r or trofeo.

Reactions: Arrowheaddoc
1 - 20 of 33 Posts