McLaren Life banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

Registered
I can't quite yet speak from experience about track applications but I can say that the team at Finspeed is very professional. Looking forward to the arrival of my set as I have just received my new 600LT. Take a look on their site, it's really easy to navigate and quite informative as well. Here's my order to give you an idea of the services they're capable of providing:
Any updates on how this set up is working? Also pics would be great 馃榿

Thx

Registered
Discussion Starter #43
Any updates on how this set up is working? Also pics would be great 馃榿

Thx
I picked up the Finspeed F14 wheels for dedicated track duty. Mounted the OEM Trafeo Rs to them. The wheels look stunning and are really light.

Definitely Tore up the outside edge of the tire at the first track day (no fault of the wheels). Had McLaren of Denver install camber kit to get me to -3 degrees front and -2 degrees rear. Should feel like a different car on the track. Next track day is June 29.

Attachments

Registered
I picked up the Finspeed F14 wheels for dedicated track duty. Mounted the OEM Trafeo Rs to them. The wheels look stunning and are really light.

Definitely Tore up the outside edge of the tire at the first track day (no fault of the wheels). Had McLaren of Denver install camber kit to get me to -3 degrees front and -2 degrees rear. Should feel like a different car on the track. Next track day is June 29.
Thanks for the update and pictures. Wheels look great! I think I meant you at the dealer. I was dropping off my Tarocco orange 600. I鈥檓 interested to see how you like that camber kit. I may have to add that to my list. If my schedule holds, I will see you at HPR on the 29th. Thx again for the info.

Registered
I went with the BBS CI-R wheels with PSC2 tires for my 570 on the track. I appreciate the beauty of the Finspeed wheels, but these are track wheels that will get hammered between mounting and un mounting, loading on a tire rack etc... they are already scuffed. I feel better about abusing a set of $2600 wheels than more expensive.
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=wheelCloseUp&wheelMake=BBS&wheelModel=CI-R&wheelFinish=Platinum+Silver+w/Pol+SS+Lip&tab=wheels

And they look really good on the car.

Registered
Another 600lt owner (see PUR wheels website) has PSC2's on 235/35/19 and 305/30/20 and the fronts RUB on the front plastic duct liner (specific to the 600lt). Not bad but enough to see and hear it. No offset helped this either, so I don't think we can get a 245 to fit and not rub on this car....?
https://purwheels.com/?photo=mclaren-600lt-4our

Oof. Not my style. Unfortunately the orange label on the tire makes it very difficult to assess the filament.

I have heard the issue with 600LT is OD not width. That said the 235/35/19 is just 0.3" taller. Crazy if the 225 is the limit if that tolerance is confirmed. I am skeptical.

I'm curious why Finspeed for example doesn't do a wider rear either? OEM is 11" wide with a 285, so going to a 325 really would necessitate a wider rim. I would assume the car can fit another .5-1.0" wider in the back?
Is anyone having oversteer issues? We shouldn't add rubber just to add rubber - it's heavier and more friction (if not needed). :)

If your goal is stance/look, fine.

I have a set of PUR forged wheels I'm considering in 19x8.5 and 20x11 with PSC2 235/35 and 305/30, per the customer above, but I'm still trying to decipher what the best size/setup is... and I think adding .5" to the rear is a good option. When you examine the section width below, you'll see what I mean.

Front Trofeo 225/35/19 9.1"
Front PSC2 235/35/19 9.5"

Rear Trofeo 285/35/20 11.4"
Rear PSC2 305/30/20 12.3"
See the output of the sizing change from OEM below. You'll be pointing the nose of the car up a bit. I really don't know how sensitive it is to that kind of rake change (~4%) but I would be cautious if tracking the car.

Attachments

Registered
See the output of the sizing change from OEM below. You'll be pointing the nose of the car up a bit. I really don't know how sensitive it is to that kind of rake change (~4%) but I would be cautious if tracking the car.
You have a minor discrepancy in your OD calculations, and F-R Ratio:
Front OEM 235-35-19 vs PSC2 235-35-19 is OD +0.3" ; Sidewall +0.15
Rear OEM 285-35-20 vs PSC2 305-30-20 is OD --0.7" ; Sidewall --0.35
That is a 1.0" change in F-R OD's, or a 0.5" change in radius / Sidewall AND Rake of the chassis; NOT insignificant at speed.

Registered
I now have PSC2's 235/35/19 and 305/30/20's on my car with 8.5x19 and 11x20, offsets 34 front and 30 rear. The setup fills the fenders nicely and very close to flush with the fenders. I haven't noticed any tire rub on the front lock to lock. This setup looks great as the front tire sidewall better matches the rear. Visually I don't notice the nose higher/rear lower and it looks very flat. I only have 20 miles on this setup and pushed the car through 2 turns so far so no concrete info. However.....when I did hit those two turns, immediately after a rear brake hazard light went on and the car said limpmode, go to dealer. I drove it casually a mile and it seemed to drive fine. Pulled off the side of the road and turned it off and back on again. Now no hazard light and never came on again.

I talked with the dealer about this and they said sometimes the pressure in the brake system is too low and the light goes on. Somewhat common with 570's. Using the brakes a bit will eliminate that problem. They didn't think it was related to the 1" OD difference. I need to rip up the canyons and see if this light goes off again. Hopefully not or I'll be going to Trofeo's in a 235/35 and 295/35 sizing.

I really don't want trofeo's for everyday driving hence my PSC2's now. I will say it seems the PSC2's could.....be louder than the Trofeo's which I never would have expected. And maybe a harder sidewall too.

Early conclusion, but the OEM Trofeo's rode better and were quieter than the PSC2's. And the extra rubber probably isn't needed either.

Also, I looks to me like our ride height is adjustable via c clips and notches in the shocks? Correct?

Vendor
Is anyone having oversteer issues? We shouldn't add rubber just to add rubber - it's heavier and more friction (if not needed). :)

If your goal is stance/look, fine.
This is a great point, application/usage really applies here. Is it for looks, or straight line drag/1 mile stuff? The rear of these cars are pretty planted and the front is typically where the most help is needed in terms of road racing grip.

The other thing is don't fixate so much on the whole "315" and "325" thing. All these tires, even among the same manufacturer, vary in actual width. There are 315's wider than some 325/333's, and vice versa. Ideally, measure up the width with an actual tire. In a perfect world, the tread should be within 1/2" of the actual rim width (this is measured between the inside of the bead seats). For guys doing track events, a 315 Hoosier A7/R7 is a lot of rear tire.

As with all things, there are compromises to everything. The best way forward is always look at your end goals/usage/application, and figure out the solution with the least amount of compromise. Bigger isn't always better. :)

Premium Member
I now have PSC2's 235/35/19 and 305/30/20's on my car with 8.5x19 and 11x20, offsets 34 front and 30 rear. The setup fills the fenders nicely and very close to flush with the fenders. I haven't noticed any tire rub on the front lock to lock. This setup looks great as the front tire sidewall better matches the rear. Visually I don't notice the nose higher/rear lower and it looks very flat. I only have 20 miles on this setup and pushed the car through 2 turns so far so no concrete info. However.....when I did hit those two turns, immediately after a rear brake hazard light went on and the car said limpmode, go to dealer. I drove it casually a mile and it seemed to drive fine. Pulled off the side of the road and turned it off and back on again. Now no hazard light and never came on again.

I talked with the dealer about this and they said sometimes the pressure in the brake system is too low and the light goes on. Somewhat common with 570's. Using the brakes a bit will eliminate that problem. They didn't think it was related to the 1" OD difference. I need to rip up the canyons and see if this light goes off again. Hopefully not or I'll be going to Trofeo's in a 235/35 and 295/35 sizing.

I really don't want trofeo's for everyday driving hence my PSC2's now. I will say it seems the PSC2's could.....be louder than the Trofeo's which I never would have expected. And maybe a harder sidewall too.

Early conclusion, but the OEM Trofeo's rode better and were quieter than the PSC2's. And the extra rubber probably isn't needed either.

Also, I looks to me like our ride height is adjustable via c clips and notches in the shocks? Correct?
I have 295/30/20 on the back right now (RE71R), and I did a whole track day with no issues, no lights. I got them as I needed tires in a pinch. I鈥檝e got another event on Friday at Buttonwillow, but this time I will have 235/35/19 and 295/35/20 in Trofeo R - will be interesting to see the grip level on these and how they compared with my previous R888R setup! This is assuming a McLaren give me my car back by Thursday of course... 馃槓

Thanks!

Z.

Registered
I have 295/30/20 on the back right now (RE71R), and I did a whole track day with no issues, no lights. I got them as I needed tires in a pinch. I鈥檝e got another event on Friday at Buttonwillow, but this time I will have 235/35/19 and 295/35/20 in Trofeo R - will be interesting to see the grip level on these and how they compared with my previous R888R setup! This is assuming a McLaren give me my car back by Thursday of course... 馃槓

Thanks!

Z.
Yeah, it will be interesting to hear how that new setup feels and the difference in grip.

After some spirited driving, I have no issues with warning lights on my 235/35/19 305/30/20 setup. And the handling is very similar to the OEM setup although as expected, I do notice a bit less grip with the PSC2's over the Trofeos.

Attachments

Registered
Yeah, it will be interesting to hear how that new setup feels and the difference in grip.

After some spirited driving, I have no issues with warning lights on my 235/35/19 305/30/20 setup. And the handling is very similar to the OEM setup although as expected, I do notice a bit less grip with the PSC2's over the Trofeos.
Car looks great!

Finspeed F14s?

Any rubbing with that setup?

Registered
Discussion Starter #53
Thanks for the update and pictures. Wheels look great! I think I meant you at the dealer. I was dropping off my Tarocco orange 600. I鈥檓 interested to see how you like that camber kit. I may have to add that to my list. If my schedule holds, I will see you at HPR on the 29th. Thx again for the info.
Too funny... It's a shame we did have our McLife name badges on when we met! I have taken a couple of spirited drives since the camber kit was installed. They were able to get me to -2.7 front and -2 in the rear. Definitely feels more planted when you load up the outside tires.

True test will be to see how the Trafeo R's wear during the track day on the 29th. Looking forward to seeing you out there.

Registered
Thanks for the detailed reply. You guys have a good reputation and have succeeded in a very competitive market. Your about the only company I haven't bought wheels from but that's just because I haven't bought them in awhile. I'm sure I'll own a set of yours at some point. : )

I won't go into details as to why I'm going the route I am but I will at least say this set I'm doing with PSC2's is for the street, while my OEM setup (Trofeos) will be for more track use. The whole debate on bigger tires are better I stay out of until I have conclusive personal evidence plus there's too many variables based on different drivers wants and needs.

The other WEIRD thing about this 600lt is why didn't MAC put more offset on the rear wheel.. :confused: It's just strange looking to have the front offset more aggressive than the rear. I bet most of us with aftermarket wheels will be correcting this. The downside to this is a lot of road wear on those little carbon outer blades (a place for more clearbra).

The question on if 245's will fit seems to be up for debate still??
Hi, can you or anybody else tell me what the offset et is on the standard 600LT wheel ?? I know it's et47 on the 570S but is it the same on the 600LT. Cheers.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts