McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone - was wondering if there were any suggestions for track only wheels for the 600. I really don't care how they look, i just want something to mount the Trafeo Rs to for 100% track day use. I will be keeping another set of (more reasonable) tires mounted to the factory wheels.

Preferably under $5K for the set.

Thanks.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks!

Can personally vouch for Finspeed as a company. Have zero knowledge on best 600LT offering, sizing, and weight comparison with OEM.

·
Vendor
39 Posts
With the $300 off promo we are running currently, our entry level F14 "track pack" wheel is going to come in right around $5k. It features thin but very deep spokes that are inherently strong, but look fantastic.

All of our wheels are engineered for your specific application, and are simply not our spoke pattern "fit and modified" to fit your vehicle. Our FEA simulation (using ANSYS) and physical certification is done using racing slicks, not street tires. Let us know if we can help.

Finspeed.com

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With the $300 off promo we are running currently, our entry level F14 "track pack" wheel is going to come in right around $5k. It features thin but very deep spokes that are inherently strong, but look fantastic.

All of our wheels are engineered for your specific application, and are simply not our spoke pattern "fit and modified" to fit your vehicle. Our FEA simulation (using ANSYS) and physical certification is done using racing slicks, not street tires. Let us know if we can help.

Finspeed.com
Thanks for the info. I'll reach out via email to get some specific pricing!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll reach out via email to get some specific pricing!
Let us all know what they spec out with you w/r/t the 600LT. Would be good to get a "standard" application we can easily order. It looks like some of their 10-spoke wheels might retain the OEM look. Question is weight and sizing, and esp what tire options there are/aren't at various size options.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I can't quite yet speak from experience about track applications but I can say that the team at Finspeed is very professional. Looking forward to the arrival of my set as I have just received my new 600LT. Take a look on their site, it's really easy to navigate and quite informative as well. Here's my order to give you an idea of the services they're capable of providing:

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Which are you running on track? The Cup 2 or Trofeo R?

Also it looks like they gave you a little more meat on the tires (245 325) do we know that this doesn't affect any of the computers (e.g., TC/SC/etc)?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Which are you running on track? The Cup 2 or Trofeo R?

Also it looks like they gave you a little more meat on the tires (245 325) do we know that this doesn't affect any of the computers (e.g., TC/SC/etc)?
Width will not affect any computer routines. Only height, overall diameter, and differential between front and rear diameters.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Can't tell you how the extra width will effect the car yet as I haven't received the wheels and tires. However, the team at Finspeed is quite knowledgeable and worked with me to create a setup that will remain neutral and adjustable on track. Wheels are pounds lighter while being wider than stock superlights. Will report back after my track session at the end of the month.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm going through the process of ordering a set of the F14. Kurt has been absolutely awesome to deal with. Looking forward to seeing these on my 600!

Thanks, Finspeed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
This isn't so much for track setups but a good conversation for us to have since this car is new and many of us will be adding different wheels and tires:

Another 600lt owner (see PUR wheels website) has PSC2's on 235/35/19 and 305/30/20 and the fronts RUB on the front plastic duct liner (specific to the 600lt). Not bad but enough to see and hear it. No offset helped this either, so I don't think we can get a 245 to fit and not rub on this car....?

I'm curious why Finspeed for example doesn't do a wider rear either? OEM is 11" wide with a 285, so going to a 325 really would necessitate a wider rim. I would assume the car can fit another .5-1.0" wider in the back?

I have a set of PUR forged wheels I'm considering in 19x8.5 and 20x11 with PSC2 235/35 and 305/30, per the customer above, but I'm still trying to decipher what the best size/setup is... and I think adding .5" to the rear is a good option. When you examine the section width below, you'll see what I mean.

Front Trofeo 225/35/19 9.1"
Front PSC2 235/35/19 9.5"

Rear Trofeo 285/35/20 11.4"
Rear PSC2 305/30/20 12.3"

The OEM Trofeo's fit pretty well on the OEM wheels. The front tires are pretty flush with the wheel lip. The rear has a little more rubber on it. So, adding a larger tire to the rear +20mm probably should necessitate a wider rim. Same for the front. Using a 235 should take a 8.5" width wheel. However, both PUR and Finspeed are still using 11's in the rear.

The other problem is some molds (one manufacturer to anther) are different in tread and/or section width so a PSC2 could be larger or smaller than say a Trofeo in the same exact size. I really wanted a 245/305 setup on the car so the front and rear are a +20mm but I think that 245 up front will work?

·
Registered
122 Posts
FSTCLYZ,

You bring up many good points and I will try to address a few of them here. First, at Finspeed, each set is made to order based upon what the customer wants and their intended purpose. Some companies will premachine a wheel, set it on the shelf, and then when they receive an order, they do a final "cut" to make it fit the application; be it a GTR, GT3, Corvette or whatever. We don't do that. Every set we make is made to order. Back to your thoughts: Obviously, there are constraints that limit what can be done given the location of suspension hardware, suspension mounts, brake hardware, etc. We actually 3D scan those applications where the owners want to get super aggressive or creative. In fact, we just finished a scan of a Senna so will know exactly the limits of what can be done with respect to wheels. We have scanned my 570S and while the brakes and suspension are from the 720 on the 600LT, most of the limits for the wheels remain the same. For my track set up, we went with 19x9s in front and 19x11s in the rear as I want more tire options; the 19s in the rear allow that. So, I went 1 inch wider both front and back with no issue. We can offer some suggestions if you want to go wider or different off-sets. Second, for Geoff2010's setup, he wanted to maintain the option of using stock Trofeo Rs so he will be getting 19x8.5 fronts and 20x11s in the rear. The 8.5 inch width up front will allow Trofeo Rs plus other tires that make a 235 section to help with some of the understeer. He did not have the desire to go wider in the rear. I will confess that I am not sure a wider tire is really necessary in the rear having driven the 600LT; it seemed to hook up well and bigger/wider is also heavier (all things considered). I would not discourage you from going wider if you want to though as I applaud being aggressive! Having said that, you are correct in that you can go wider in the rear. How much more? We would have to do some modeling work to be sure but can figure that out if you or the rest of the forum are interested.

You are also correct in that some tires of the same size have different heights/diameters so again, that goes into our modeling to make sure there are no computer issues. It all comes back to Finspeed wheels being bespoke and understanding how the customer will be using them and knowing the other factors that come into affect. Not only will we help assist with the proper wheel for you, but we will also recommend the proper tire(s) to make sure everything works in harmony.

I hope this helps.

Kurt

PS: I am not quite sure what you meant in your penultimate paragraph with the discussion of the 235 section and then following that with "However, both PUR and Finspeed still are still using 11s in the rear." Could you please restate and I will respond accordingly.

Thanks!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I will confess that I am not sure a wider tire is really necessary in the rear having driven the 600LT; it seemed to hook up well and bigger/wider is also heavier (all things considered).
to help with some of the understeer.
This cuts at my core question! First, assuming McLaren knows what they are doing are we so sure more rubber (heavier, etc) is better? Do we know the car pushes? Haven't watched a single review where someone talks about understeer, unlike my 997 GT car which plows through turns and that always came up in reviews!

Frankly, I am most interested in more tire options, specifically the Sport Cup 2. I don't think those tires fit on OEM. Is there an application that would work?

I have run Trofeo Rs on my GT2 and they are *fast* but they wore really, really quickly. I hear SC2s are a bit more durable. Frankly, the wear was so fast on the Trofeo's it scares my wallet. Of course the 600LT is lighter and more balanced so maybe less of an issue?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have Forgeline one piece wheels with sensors and center caps with Trofeo R tires (245/305) set up. You can contact Forgeline and confirm if these will fit the 600 LT. I am selling them for $5k and run $8k with Trofeo R tires new. Rear tires have less than 400 regular driving miles max on them. Front are easily 70% new. These are off my 570 but since different wheel offset and rim width they may be a perfect fit for the 600LT. I purchased a 720 and sold my 570 with stock wheels so that is why I am selling them (The rear wheels do not fit on the 720).

·
Registered
122 Posts
This cuts at my core question! First, assuming McLaren knows what they are doing are we so sure more rubber (heavier, etc) is better? Do we know the car pushes? Haven't watched a single review where someone talks about understeer, unlike my 997 GT car which plows through turns and that always came up in reviews!

Frankly, I am most interested in more tire options, specifically the Sport Cup 2. I don't think those tires fit on OEM. Is there an application that would work?

I have run Trofeo Rs on my GT2 and they are *fast* but they wore really, really quickly. I hear SC2s are a bit more durable. Frankly, the wear was so fast on the Trofeo's it scares my wallet. Of course the 600LT is lighter and more balanced so maybe less of an issue?
It does not push as much as some (e.g., my Z06; talk about a pig in stock setup!). But more front tire will definitely help with turn in. My 570 definitely has (had) some understeer on the track so the wider fronts on mine helped a lot.

As for other tire fitments, yes, that is the point of why at Finspeed, we want to understand what and how you will be using the car and what tire options you want. Case in point, my desire to use Hoosiers so 19s all around (note: Hoosier now makes 20s!). We can make wheels to allow use of the Michelin Cup 2s as well as others. We should talk to see specifically what you want and then design something to suit your needs. As for weight, depending on what setup you want, our wheels will be lighter than stock in the same fitment. On my 570, the fronts were an inch wider and were still the same weight as stock and that is without any of our lightweight options so there is more to be had there. The rears were a few pounds lighter as well but some of that is due to going with 19s as opposed to 20s. Still, we will beat stock weights on direct comparison so no worries there. Also, not all weight is equal as it matters more where that weight is located: I am talking about moment of inertia; something we really focus on.

PM your number and I will call you if you want to discuss further.

Kurt

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
About this Discussion
53 Replies
14 Participants
fstclyz
McLaren Life
McLaren Life is the best McLaren forum to discuss reliability, problems & more for supercar models like the F1, P1, 570, 650, 12C, and 720S!
Full Forum Listing