McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, what is the recommended first oil change?

Some other cars that i have owned, it was recommended to do an oil change after the car has been 'run in', i understand that 600LT running in period is around 1000km and i believe it will take roughly 1500km for a 100% running in.

In the owner manual book, first oil change is on the first 10,000km

·
Registered
403 Posts
I did personal oil change at a trusted private workshop.. with 600km on the car.
I would personally do 1000km for the break in period and then another one at 5000km.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I am planning on an oil change for mine at 1K miles as well but will be using an indy shop. Also planning to have them put in BMC filters, wheel spacers and having them adjust some of the panels underneath as I can hear some rattling and am pretty sure its just a fitment issue that should be easy enough to resolve.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I’m going to go at it in regards to changing my own oil. I’m right at 5,000 and I bought the filter, washers, o rings at mclaren so we’ll see how it goes. I have a 2020 600LT and I’ll be using Amsoil 0W40 which I have already on hand. I’m about 90 miles away from my nearest dealer in Tampa plus this sounds pretty fun lol.

·
Registered
2019 McLaren 600LT Helios Orange
48 Posts
I’m going to go at it in regards to changing my own oil. I’m right at 5,000 and I bought the filter, washers, o rings at mclaren so we’ll see how it goes. I have a 2020 600LT and I’ll be using Amsoil 0W40 which I have already on hand. I’m about 90 miles away from my nearest dealer in Tampa plus this sounds pretty fun lol.
If you change your own oil, there is no way to log maintenance in the ECU or reset intervals. I've heard of a few warranties being voided due to McLaren not changing the oil and the car will be flagged because it won't show that an oil change was ever done. Just fyi

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you change your own oil, there is no way to log maintenance in the ECU or reset intervals. I've heard of a few warranties being voided due to McLaren not changing the oil and the car will be flagged because it won't show that an oil change was ever done. Just fyi
I figured that would be the case. Either way my car is tuned With capristo downpipes so I’m pretty much screwed lol

·
Registered
33 Posts

this is very dissapointing to here. can anyone elese confirm this? also, how much is an oil change at McLaren?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have the dealer reset the service light and keep the invoice showing the mileage.

·
Registered
48 Posts
this is very dissapointing to here. can anyone elese confirm this? also, how much is an oil change at McLaren?
Very disappointing, I agree! Prices vary per dealer, but my dealer charges $800 for oil change only or $2,300 for 12 month service which includes oil, filters, and some other shit. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
33 Posts
Very disappointing, I agree! Prices vary per dealer, but my dealer charges $800 for oil change only or $2,300 for 12 month service which includes oil, filters, and some other shit. 🤷‍♂️

It's a shame to take advantage of owners because of the percieved wealth while owning a vehicle like this. Sure a majority of owners aren't going to do it themselves, but alot of us still like to turn a bolt or two. We shouldnt be penalized for it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It's a shame to take advantage of owners because of the percieved wealth while owning a vehicle like this. Sure a majority of owners aren't going to do it themselves, but alot of us still like to turn a bolt or two. We shouldnt be penalized for it.
I couldn't agree more with you, but it's the unfortunate life we live. 🤣🤣

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Never heard this. It would be easy to counter it (receipts showing you purchased oil, etc.). If something happened to the car and a person did their own oil change then, someone can point to maybe an oil change wasn't performed...

According to the owner's manual:

Gearbox Oil Level:
If you experience oil loss or problems with gear shifts, have the gearbox checked by your Mclaren retailer:
Note: The clutch and gearbox oil has mileage related service intervals. This maintenance can only be carried out by your Mclaren retailer.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Never heard this. It would be easy to counter it (receipts showing you purchased oil, etc.). If something happened to the car and a person did their own oil change then, someone can point to maybe an oil change wasn't performed...

According to the owner's manual:

Gearbox Oil Level:
If you experience oil loss or problems with gear shifts, have the gearbox checked by your Mclaren retailer:
Note: The clutch and gearbox oil has mileage related service intervals. This maintenance can only be carried out by your Mclaren retailer.
You are talking about trans fluids. I'm talking about engine oil. If McLaren doesn't do your oil and log it and you have ANY engine related problems it will NOT be warranted. I hate this, but it's fact and exactly what I was told by a few dealers. I'd love to do my own fluids as I used to own a performance shop, but I also don't want to risk losing a warranty. To each their own

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
You are talking about trans fluids. I'm talking about engine oil. If McLaren doesn't do your oil and log it and you have ANY engine related problems it will NOT be warranted. I hate this, but it's fact and exactly what I was told by a few dealers. I'd love to do my own fluids as I used to own a performance shop, but I also don't want to risk losing a warranty. To each their own

Maybe they misunderstood your question (I’m not a DIY person so it’s not a relevant topic to me). One of the oil changes has to be done by dealer and one that anyone can do . Maybe ppl did the DIY one but didn’t let the dealer do the other one and that caused the issue . I don’t know . There is quite a few DIY people on these forums so they would be in a better position to answer (it wouldn’t be a new situation as there is 25k cars on the road and almost a decade of servicing history by Mac dealers )

·
Registered
344 Posts
You can do two things just the same:1. buy the supplies from the dealers, do it yourself and have them reset the light. 2. Just have them reset the light. You will have the invoicing to show what they did and it will be in the records. No big deal.

·
Owner
526 Posts
You can do two things just the same:1. buy the supplies from the dealers, do it yourself and have them reset the light. 2. Just have them reset the light. You will have the invoicing to show what they did and it will be in the records. No big deal.
That does not fly at most dealers. I don't know of any McLaren dealer that will let you change your own oil and then they reset the light.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts