McLaren Life banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Fellas - enough with the internet forum warfare.

@kpg - if are unhappy with McLaren so be it, but make your point and move on.

@unmac - focus on positive contribution, which you do so much of on this forum/community!

600LT quality is fine. There are some people with legit issues. I have plenty of friends with GT3s, RS', R8s and so on and there are always major issues for a few. The question is how the manufacturer and dealer network handles them. My view is McLaren is more hit or miss than Porsche or Audi. That's not to say Porsche, for example, is perfect. Just ask any owner of GT (or Turbo) with the Mezger engine how they feel about the coolant fittings and Porsche's absolute refusal to do anything about it. But I do feel McLaren is more akin to skating on thin ice, which is probably a reflection of the age of their company, its financial resources, and so on. VAG is a well resourced company.

·
Banned
303 Posts

@unmac - focus on positive contribution, which you do so much of on this forum/community!

600LT quality is fine. There are some people with legit issues. I have plenty of friends with GT3s, RS', R8s and so on and there are always major issues for a few. The question is how the manufacturer and dealer network handles them. My view is McLaren is more hit or miss than Porsche or Audi. That's not to say Porsche, for example, is perfect. Just ask any owner of GT (or Turbo) with the Mezger engine how they feel about the coolant fittings and Porsche's absolute refusal to do anything about it. But I do feel McLaren is more akin to skating on thin ice, which is probably a reflection of the age of their company, its financial resources, and so on. VAG is a well resourced company.

I did make my point and move on.

Then Bayareaandy decided to try and make it out to be that I tuned my car and caused problems with car, yet it's 100% stock. He didn't even ask what problems I had with the car. Guess he's a know it all, so yeah, I just replied to his BS accusations.

McLaren quality is fine, just don't talk to the ones who have a poor quality one. That's the trick.

·
Registered
109 Posts
M

Mezger has been gone since 2011, and the RS still above MSRP. On my 3rd GT car since 2015 only shop time oil change. Not sure your argument dating back 10 years is apples to apples, and Mezger highly desired now.

·
Banned
303 Posts
M

Mezger has been gone since 2011, and the RS still a above MSRP. On my 3rd GT car since 2015 only shop time oil change. Not sure your argument dating back 10 years is apples to apples, and Mezger highly desired now.
Yep, exactly. My 2 year old 991.2 GT3 manual hasn't depreciated, hasn't been in the shop unless it needed an oil change. When you get into it and drive it, it just feels so much better built and higher quality it's crazy. McLaren can only hope to get even to 1/8th the build quality as Porsche - period.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Dittos! Same exact thing I hear and see at the dealers. Low miles 600LTs returning because they are too raw and a basically a street legal race car that people or their spouses complain the seats are not comfortable or it's too loud. Its my 3rd McLaren (I had a 12C and 570S for the last 7 years) and it's my favorite. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY 600LT. Best McLaren I have owned. Zero issues so far. 😁😎😁😎😁

I haven't heard of any systemic issues with the 600LT other than the windshield cracking problem.

Last I was told by my dealer (so take with grain of salt) some of the 600LT trades back were for 720S as the price difference can get negligible with a well-optioned 600LT. Non-track people seem to decide that the 600LT is a little too raw and prefer the 720S which, on the street, has more performance in a more refined (not the best word, but gets the point across) package.

·
Registered
15 Posts
No issues at all with my 600LT coupe after8 months. The fit and finish on my car is as good as my 2018 GT3. Love both cars but they are different. 600LT just as comfortable to drive. I have P1 seats and I like them. Almost identical to GT3 carbon fiber bucket seats. Great for track speeds. The 600LT is not supposed to be a grand touring car. It is raw and amazing to drive. Makes me smile every time I get in it. Hard to describe feeling, but I don’t get the same feeling in GT3. Like it so much I have a 620R on order. That will truly be an amazing car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Like it so much I have a 620R on order. That will truly be an amazing car.
I have been wrestling with this question. I recently purchased a 600LT spider and love it for all you describe. I have been offered a 620R. Just not sure it will be that much better/improved compared to the 600LT to justify the change. Thoughts?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have been wrestling with this question. I recently purchased a 600LT spider and love it for all you describe. I have been offered a 620R. Just not sure it will be that much better/improved compared to the 600LT to justify the change. Thoughts?
I don't know if it will be "better" than the 600LT. That really depends on your use. But it will be very different in a number of ways.

Lowest production (350 worldwide, probably around 200 in North America) of any McLaren other than the P1
Highest power to weight ratio
Many options for 600LT included for no cost in North America (roof scoop, carbon roof & cantrails, harness bar and harness, among others) brings the value very close to the 600LT coupe similarly equipped
Totally different look
Totally different feel
Slightly more power
More aero
Race car vs. street car
Won't have to worry about seeing one just like it a cars and coffee

I am taking my 600LT to VIR at end of month so I can compare to GT3. Drove one at McClaren Pure at Homestead Speedway and it was amazing. The 620R will clearly be a better track car, as it is designed for the track. Not a car I would drive a lot on the street, but I have other cars for that. I think the car will become very collectible in light of what it is - street legal race car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
jwlitsey, thanks for the response. Those are all issues I have been grappling with. I like the limited production, aero, race car for the street, etc. of the R. However, I don't track my cars (no time and no track nearby), I do like my spider, and I do like the look of the LT. Guess I will stick with it.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts