McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm looking to buy a 600LT Spider. What I have noticed at the dealers around me is that an awful lot of cars come back with very low mileage. Also, the stories are not always right. One was sold, came back, and was advertised as demonstrator. I know it was sold.
Question: Has anyone experience with 600LT's? Are there any quality issues? I have owned a 12C before, so got some McLaren experience, but what I hear is not very comforting in terms of quality and reliability, since I would use it as a daily sports car more than a track focused toy, adding some significant mileage on it.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Best,
Chris

·
Registered
225 Posts
I haven't heard of any systemic issues with the 600LT other than the windshield cracking problem.

Last I was told by my dealer (so take with grain of salt) some of the 600LT trades back were for 720S as the price difference can get negligible with a well-optioned 600LT. Non-track people seem to decide that the 600LT is a little too raw and prefer the 720S which, on the street, has more performance in a more refined (not the best word, but gets the point across) package.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Many purchased the 600LT and found it to be not as comfortable as 570s. Others purchased it thinking they are going to flip it and make money. The car itself has no real issues. You should test drive one and see if you like it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
No issuses here....

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Geez, I hate these forum thread titles! Makes it appear that this thread is reporting quality issues - not asking if there are any! Can’t the topic be “600LT - any feedback?” Or “Want to buy 600LT - opinions please?”.

Sorry, rant over - but really, these thread titles irk me as troll-ey (not saying OP is a troll - just would appreciate more thought in making a subject so it doesn’t feed the non-owner bears!)

Thanks!

Z.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't heard of any systemic issues with the 600LT other than the windshield cracking problem.

Last I was told by my dealer (so take with grain of salt) some of the 600LT trades back were for 720S as the price difference can get negligible with a well-optioned 600LT. Non-track people seem to decide that the 600LT is a little too raw and prefer the 720S which, on the street, has more performance in a more refined (not the best word, but gets the point across) package.
Geez, I hate these forum thread titles! Makes it appear that this thread is reporting quality issues - not asking if there are any! Can’t the topic be “600LT - any feedback?” Or “Want to buy 600LT - opinions please?”.

Sorry, rant over - but really, these thread titles irk me as troll-ey (not saying OP is a troll - just would appreciate more thought in making a subject so it doesn’t feed the non-owner bears!)

Thanks!

Z.
Not a very helpful contribution to the discussion. Maybe you want to open a different thread on that topic, if you feel it's important to you?
Recommended reading (unrelated, of course):
https://sniffpetrol.com/2019/10/24/ask-a-total-prick-from-an-internet-forum-volume-10/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thank you, the windshield problem is also the only real issue I have heard of.
Regarding dealer comments, I don't know your dealer, but mine has lied to me so often that I don't believe anything he says any more. The car that is now offered as demonstration car has clearly been sold before. And, unrelated to that, he underrepresented the tread depth of my tires to sell me a new set, did not make any effort to sell my 12C hoping I would trade it in, and, well, never mind.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I may be one of the few buyers who NEVER consider a 720S.
600LT is raw and that is exactly what I want even I may only track the car a few times a year and mainly use it on the street.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here. Tried both, 720S left me impressed but unmoved, 600LT was just fantastic, rattling and shaking and talkative. Drove it on Track twice, waiting for the right spec and colour to come up on the secondary market.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Many purchased the 600LT and found it to be not as comfortable as 570s. Others purchased it thinking they are going to flip it and make money. The car itself has no real issues. You should test drive one and see if you like it.
I drove it on track twice, and it was absolutely fantastic. The only thing that has put me off so far was the many cars that came back on the market with very low mileage. And the gap between what dealers told me (very limited edition, blabla, appreciation, blabla, and what I observed). But the replies here help a lot putting this into perspective - thanks.

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Not a very helpful contribution to the discussion. Maybe you want to open a different thread on that topic, if you feel it's important to you?
Recommended reading (unrelated, of course):
https://sniffpetrol.com/2019/10/24/ask-a-total-prick-from-an-internet-forum-volume-10/
I commented on the latest thread exhibiting the behavior, and 5 regulars on this forum liked it instantly - so I’m not alone in thinking this. All I said was consider making better topics so as not to trigger negative feelings from owners who love the cars that they have spent hundreds of thousands on (and you want advice from). I even said I didn’t think you were a troll, and trust me, we’ve had a LOT of trolls here, so I was just asking as a guest current non-owner to just be more considerate.

Your response? Dismiss what I actually said because you didn’t like it, then call me, a total stranger to you, someone who is a regular here and an owner, a prick. Do you walk muddy shoes all over someone’s carpet when meeting them for the first time too?

Again, I don’t think the thread is bad - and I have no issues with you asking something like that - I just didn’t like the way the topic was phrased. And posting a “separate thread” about would be completely ineffective (as no newbies would read it - so posting on the actual thread is the only effective option).

Thanks,

Z.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I commented on the latest thread exhibiting the behavior, and 5 regulars on this forum liked it instantly - so I’m not alone in thinking this. All I said was consider making better topics so as not to trigger negative feelings from owners who love the cars that they have spent hundreds of thousands on (and you want advice from). I even said I didn’t think you were a troll, and trust me, we’ve had a LOT of trolls here, so I was just asking as a guest current non-owner to just be more considerate.

Your response? Dismiss what I actually said because you didn’t like it, then call me, a total stranger to you, someone who is a regular here and an owner, a prick. Do you walk muddy shoes all over someone’s carpet when meeting them for the first time too?

Again, I don’t think the thread is bad - and I have no issues with you asking something like that - I just didn’t like the way the topic was phrased. And posting a “separate thread” about would be completely ineffective (as no newbies would read it - so posting on the actual thread is the only effective option).

Thanks,

Z.
I didn't intend to call you a prick. I admit you had a point that my title would have been clearer with a '?', just thought it's off topic. Oh, and I still think the article in the link is funny (still not calling you a prick). I wasn't aware of the troll problem, although I have to admit, if someone does not like my cars I just tend to ignore them and enjoy their jealousy. As to your (and obviously others') sensitivities around McLaren bashing, I had my own emotional roller coaster. First loved the brand and cars, came to hate the brand, bought one anyway, love/hated the car, sold it again, still hate the brand and dealer, still love some of the cars, think they have serious flaws and quality issues, will buy an LT anyway because they are really really really good to drive.

Anyway, I did not intend to insult you, wish you a fantastic holiday season, and hope you enjoy your cars.
Oh, and if you ever attend a McLaren event in Europe, tell me if you like and, if I'm there, I'll buy a drink if you want (you can still throw it in my face, if you are still angry).
All the Best,
c

·
Registered
208 Posts
600lt owner for the past 6 months with about 1500 miles. no issues so far except for rattles and an interior panel that isnt quite aligned. FWIW, my 991 creaks and rattles and I've taken it to the dealer twice. Learned to live with it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Same here. Tried both, 720S left me impressed but unmoved, 600LT was just fantastic, rattling and shaking and talkative. Drove it on Track twice, waiting for the right spec and colour to come up on the secondary market.
I felt the same way. 720 just didn't engage me. The 600 is the only car I have driven that felt like my race car but street legal. Once I got the 600 I rarely drove my RS so I ended up selling it. The 600 is a very solid reliable car in my book

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
I didn't intend to call you a prick. I admit you had a point that my title would have been clearer with a '?', just thought it's off topic. Oh, and I still think the article in the link is funny (still not calling you a prick). I wasn't aware of the troll problem, although I have to admit, if someone does not like my cars I just tend to ignore them and enjoy their jealousy. As to your (and obviously others') sensitivities around McLaren bashing, I had my own emotional roller coaster. First loved the brand and cars, came to hate the brand, bought one anyway, love/hated the car, sold it again, still hate the brand and dealer, still love some of the cars, think they have serious flaws and quality issues, will buy an LT anyway because they are really really really good to drive.

Anyway, I did not intend to insult you, wish you a fantastic holiday season, and hope you enjoy your cars.
Oh, and if you ever attend a McLaren event in Europe, tell me if you like and, if I'm there, I'll buy a drink if you want (you can still throw it in my face, if you are still angry).
All the Best,
c
lol, I’m not angry - and yes, the article is funny (I did go to it)! Though in those he was being a prick about the question, with plenty of ad hominem arguments. I’m typically the opposite and love to help with technical issues.

I visit Europe often so might take you up on that, and I promise not to throw it at you ;)

As for the 600LT - from observations it’s mostly the same minor issues the 570 platform gets. Note that unlike other brands which tend to be cookie cutter for entire runs that span multiple years, a 2016 570S will be entirely different from a 2019 model 570/600. They incrementally improve, down to software, cluster, firmware, etc - sometimes even engine internals - without coming out with “facelift” models.

Most people have rock solid reliability (I’m at 22K miles with 8+ track days), but it’s more the niggly or aesthetic issues that are a worry:

• panel gaps - for the most part are fine, but not always perfect.
  • rattles - usually after thousands of miles (5000-10000+ miles). Some dealers will fix, others will say only under warranty in first 3 months, so there is some variability. I was told by my service manager that McLaren only pay the dealer for adjustments in the first 3 months, so after that, unless something is broken and has a repair associated, they don’t get paid (so then it becomes goodwill).
  • windscreen cracks - I personally think it’s a low percent overall - maybe 5-8%. Still too high, but chances are you’ll be fine. The forum will make you think otherwise, but people tend to only post if they have an issue, skewing the numbers.
  • iris glitches - mostly fine, sometimes needs a reboot. Biggest issue was iPhone mic cut out issues, but that’s been solved - by Apple (wasn’t McLaren’s fault)!
  • key not found - rare, but usually fine if you put it near the logo - only happens to me 1 out of 100+ starts, if that.

Customer service tends to be great, and above and beyond, though there are bad dealers in any brand. I’ve been taking to my dealer about an Elva, and emails sent at 10pm are being answered by 3am, even while he’s on holiday - and this level of response happened even before I started speaking to him about that particular car.

However, I have seen/heard that people that buy used don’t always get the same level of service - maybe because the sales team are less engaged and the customer doesn’t get the escalation path, so your mileage may vary depending on how you buy it, and where you buy it.

Thanks!

Z.

·
Registered
278 Posts
My 30 year-old nephew who is tough as nails , has much track experiences and loads of seat time in different McLarens including the 600 advised me to pass on the 600 I guess because I would occasionally drive it on the street. He said too much noise , rattles, uncomfortable seat etc
I demo‘d a 600 at a track day last year and loved it. But drove a 720 bank to back with the 600 as well as my 12-C (with Sport Cup 2 tires).
I felt the best all-around for 95% street 5% track for me was the 720.
All that carbon on the front of the 600 strikes me as too nice/ too precious/ too costly to replace to be in front of a car going fast on a racetrack where one stone can damage the splitter/air dam which cannot be repaired like fiberglass
I raced for 17 seasons and saw a lot of front end strikes from all sorts of objects small and large
Expensive enough to have to convert the brakes to steel for regular tracking

1 - 20 of 63 Posts