McLaren Life banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
720s
34 Posts
My new 600LT doesn't shoot any flames at any time. I have not and will not try it at neutral (there was a campaign to do away with this anyways) but even with 'very spirited' driving I get nothing. I'm not asking for an all and out flame thrower but a few flames here and there would be nice! Not gonna lie, it was one of the things I found appealing about the car before I purchased it. I'm starting to wonder if McLaren tuned the flames away completely!

·
Registered
2020 600LT Spider
4 Posts
It’s not hard to make the flames, but it’s easier to see at night.

First you need to be in manual mode, automatic is way harder to make it happen.

Drive it like you would in the track, high rev to change gears up, and find the match to rev down as high as you can. Drive like that for a few minutes and you will see the flames. If it’s night the blue flame will show for most of the pops and when you are boosting or right after.
If you stop the car at that and use the launch control, it will flame up blue as soon as the brake is released.
Since this is how we drive in the track when pushing the car, that will be the easiest way, but if not in the track, find a good long empty road to play without put others in danger.

This is how you see it at night:

after you get flames while driving, if you stop go to neutral, few revs and it shows like this

I didn’t hit the limit, but if the car detect that is too hot, it will block the rev, DONT TURN IT OFF, just leave it on to cool down.

While driving, if you go back to normal automatic, it will cool down in a few seconds.
Do it at your own risk, but honestly, one of the best pleasures of this car. Just know it’s limits before pushing it.

·
720s
34 Posts
It’s not hard to make the flames, but it’s easier to see at night.

First you need to be in manual mode, automatic is way harder to make it happen.

Drive it like you would in the track, high rev to change gears up, and find the match to rev down as high as you can. Drive like that for a few minutes and you will see the flames. If it’s night the blue flame will show for most of the pops and when you are boosting or right after.
If you stop the car at that and use the launch control, it will flame up blue as soon as the brake is released.
Since this is how we drive in the track when pushing the car, that will be the easiest way, but if not in the track, find a good long empty road to play without put others in danger.

This is how you see it at night:
View attachment 204470

after you get flames while driving, if you stop go to neutral, few revs and it shows like this
View attachment 204471

I didn’t hit the limit, but if the car detect that is too hot, it will block the rev, DONT TURN IT OFF, just leave it on to cool down.

While driving, if you go back to normal automatic, it will cool down in a few seconds.
Do it at your own risk, but honestly, one of the best pleasures of this car. Just know it’s limits before pushing it.
I'll keep trying, but I've definitely got the car hot enough :) I'm considering putting a tune in the car and leaving the factory exhaust alone for now. I think I've heard that helps with the flames, along with a nice horsepower bump!

·
Registered
2020 600LT Spider
4 Posts
It’s possible that some local legislation forces the dealer to tune that down by factory delivery. If you get some ECU flash, likely that it will be possible to tune that to make the flames, there should not need any parts changes indeed.
I heard that it’s possible to get a lot horsepower just by doing a better ECU flash, let us know yours goes. Hope it will fix this “locked” feature, and you will enjoy even more your McLaren!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts