McLaren Life banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Ah true. I was going to just keep it always on a constant McLaren orange - but I'll just keep it the way it is then.

Will post pics and update once I get the new extended Y-splitters for a single extension cable relay from the power source this Sunday

·
Registered
228 Posts
woot!, just completed the project using just 1 extension cable (rather than 2) from the power source by using an extra y-connector at the end to connect all 4 led strips

Final Results Quick Video: 0e78534b39064e2e9f26affd5b1ee217 - Streamable

think it took about 2hrs total, which included: reading this post, ordering parts (everything i previously mentioned on this thread), planning out tools, carefully following your instructions, and perfectly hiding all the wiring

EDIT: this is how i wired everything along the engine cover:

you can see how i used the additional 2x 24" extension cables and the extra y-connector at the end to feed to the power source extension cable. i tucked away any extra wiring under the firewall padding behind the engine, which leads to the extension cable that ran from the side of the car's weather strips

extra wiring i ordered:

pictures of the wiring process:

the bluetooth controller and any extra wiring is tucked on the bottom part of the fuse assembly (close to where the negative bolt is)

with a little bit of force, you can tuck away the cables in between the crevices of the carpet lining and interior trim

and a note i left to future techs working on the car:

thanks again @Bulldogmike for the super easy-to-follow (and thorough) instructions!

hope my pics can help anyone else looking to do the same project

i'll try to post some better photos later when this quarantine is over and i'm out on a drive

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
woot!, just completed the project using just 1 extension cable (rather than 2) from the power source by using an extra y-connector at the end to connect all 4 led strips.

Final Results Quick Video: 0e78534b39064e2e9f26affd5b1ee217 - Streamable

think it took about 2hrs total which included reading this post, ordering parts (everything i previously mentioned on this thread), planning out tools, carefully following your instructions, and perfectly hiding all the wiring

i forgot to take a pic before putting the engine cover back on, and didn't feel like taking it back off again.. but this is where and how i wired my LED strips (orange lines):
View attachment 200680

you can see how i used that additional 2x 24" extension cables and the extra y-connector at the end to feed to the power source extension cable. i tucked away any extra wiring under that firewall padding behind the engine bay, which leads to the extension cable that ran from the side of the car's weather strips

extra wiring i ordered:
View attachment 200681

pictures of the wiring process:
View attachment 200682

the bluetooth controller and any extra wiring is tucked on the bottom part of the fuse assembly (close to where the negative bolt is)

View attachment 200683

View attachment 200684

with a little bit of force, you can tuck away the cables in between the crevices of the carpet lining and interior trim

View attachment 200685

View attachment 200686

and a note i left to future techs working on the car:

View attachment 200687

thanks again @Bulldogmike for the super easy-to-follow (and thorough) instructions!

hope my pics can help anyone else looking to do the same project

i'll try to post some better photos later when this quarantine is over and i'm out on a drive
way to go. ... love it. glad it all worked out. this is a no brainer mod for folks... i get compliments all the time and change colors to suit the moment!

·
Registered
228 Posts
updated my previous reply with a picture of my actual engine cover wiring

just wanted to check how everything stayed together after a spirited hot drive. and everything was exactly as i had placed them

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
updated my previous reply with a picture of my actual engine cover wiring

just wanted to check how everything stayed together after a spirited hot drive. and everything was exactly as i had placed them
loved you warning sticker. had to do same. never to sure when a tech opens up the cover.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts