McLaren Life banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
720s
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just took delivery of a new 600LT with all 3 carbon fiber packages. Does anyone know if the car is supposed to have a carbon fiber spoiler? I could have sworn it was supposed to but it's that grey color that they use on the rest of the body panels, which on my car are all carbon lol. It looks kind of stupid on an all black car having a grey spoiler, it really looks out of place! I did not get to see the car in person before I bought it as it was from out of state. Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
very rare of them to have the carbon spoiler only a few out there got that treatment even though they originally showed it in all promo shots when they released the car.

·
720s
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
very rare of them to have the carbon spoiler only a few out there got that treatment even though they originally showed it in all promo shots when they released the car.
That is disappointing. I fully expected the car to have it given that it is a listed upgrade with CF pack 2 and 3! You can clearly see the CF weave on the spoiler on the configurator. Would it be overzealous for me to contact McLaren and find out why I did not get my spoiler even though I paid for it, or at least thought I was?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
That is disappointing. I fully expected the car to have it given that it is a listed upgrade with CF pack 2 and 3! You can clearly see the CF weave on the spoiler on the configurator. Would it be overzealous for me to contact McLaren and find out why I did not get my spoiler even though I paid for it, or at least thought I was?
yeah it was real disappointing when they started being delivered and pretty much none had it even when specced to the max.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Mine is spec’d to the max and no visible carbon spoiler. Wish it was. Are there aftermarket options available?

·
Registered
10 Posts
There was a period of time McLaren was shipping cars equipped/ordered with CF spoilers with painted units, and sending dealers visual carbon units to swap out at later dates. I would advise following up with your sales personnel and checking up on the original spec sheet to make sure you are not owed anything.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I was told that the final price was “discounted” the missing CF spoiler from the Carbon Fiber Packages

·
Owner
525 Posts
You'll likely have yellowing issues from the heat after a few years with exposed CF. That's what was happening on the early exposed CF wings. All the 600 wings are CF, but paint is more resilient to discoloring from heat than epoxy.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Wouldn’t you have the same problem with all the other exposed CF then? I have every CF option on my 600LT (roof scoop, roof, etc)

·
Owner
525 Posts
Wouldn’t you have the same problem with all the other exposed CF then? I have every CF option on my 600LT (roof scoop, roof, etc)
You don't have two exhaust flames touching your other CF parts.

·
Registered
277 Posts
You don't have two exhaust flames touching your other CF parts.
I thought that’s what the center section was for and it would only be exposed CF to either side? I guess I’ve never touched the wing after a drive to see if it gets hot beyond just the center section.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
You'll likely have yellowing issues from the heat after a few years with exposed CF. That's what was happening on the early exposed CF wings. All the 600 wings are CF, but paint is more resilient to discoloring from heat than epoxy.
That makes a lot of sense, standard resin is only good up a couple hundred degrees F. Glass transition after that. Probably would experience some temporary degradation/discoloration even slightly lower than that. High TG resins are really rare in industry except in highly specialized applications (military usually)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts