McLaren Life banner

600 KM report and the Air Brake as a communication device

4K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  andy c 
#1 ·
Approaching 600km now, I'll tell you this much, although you future owners will find out soon enough: Either British journalists spend an inordinate amount of time frothing over Pagani Zondas (a car we don't have over here), or the word "understated" means something different in the Queen's proper English than it does in the mutilated patois we bark on this side of the pond.

Today was 1 week with my understated McLaren, in a very understated Carbon Black, no less, and I almost had to phone in a citizen's arrest. I've stopped counting the number of people literally hanging out their car windows to take pictures of the Mac. Mostly, I'm worried that they are going to crash, as they crane their neck backwards in attempt to photograph the front of the 12C. One of them felt compelled to pull alongside me, so that he could roll down his window and yell across "Dude, that thing is fvcking awesome!". "Thank you fvcking kindly!" I shouted back.

The cake taker, so far, was one chap in a Honda Civic that wasn't satisfied with the de facto cell phone pic - he wanted video. I watched nervously as he swooped in behind me and proceeded to set up his camera phone on his dash while still on the move. Then, at the next intersection, satisfied with the camera's exact placement, he floored it up to my rear bumper, changed lanes and sped off at probably triple the city road speed limit in the making of his film. So, if you see a youtube post on the Honda forum titled "I smoked a McLaren today!", you'll know it was me. Damn those Civics are quick.

Last night, refuelling for the first time, I felt like I was pulling a spaceship up to the pump. All eyes on the understated car. When, I let the dihedral door swing up, even the golden retriever in the Volvo beside me cocked its head to the side, as if it was expecting an alien to climb out.

Dawdling back down my street, a group of 4 or 5 kids standing at the intersection. "Look at that car!" shouts the first, over the din of the exhaust. "It's the new Ferrari!" yells the second. Hrrmph, I mutter, and offer no response. "That's not a Ferrari, dumb-ass!" chides the next fella, "It's the new McLaren!". Ding, ding, ding! Somebody get this kid a wave of the Air Brake and a throttle blat. Much obliged.

Understated!! :confused:

See less See more
#4 ·
Ain't it cool?

At one point today, I noticed the guy behind, and both cars beside me, taking pics. I opted to get out from between them all as fast as possible.

#13 ·
Andy, just stop it. Some of us have still to acquire !

I'm still struggling with track day insurance but Aviva have said they will look at it next year when they have a better measure of owner behaviour.

Will get back with summary next week when I have to jump. Aviva are by a long way the lowest cost at this time.

#17 ·
Three hour drive today and by far my most enjoyable to date... The car feels better and better the more I drive it. Everything feels properly bedded in now. Plus a little adjustment to the seating position here, same for the telescopic wheel, ah that's it, sitting low like a formula car and the car's dimensions couldn't be more perfect.

Now 100% acclimatized to the steering rate and feel, same for throttle and even the nuances of pre-cog. Pick a spot on the road ahead and put the car there. The road surface matters not, just decide how soon you'd like to reach. Same for the turns. This is that relish-worthy moment when you feel the car as an extension, working with you and anticipating your next move. And in a McLaren 12C, I can report that the moment is bliss, bliss, bliss. The toils of Formula One engineers and test drivers, yes, yes, now I see their vision, feel what they felt. What a privilege to experience a machine such as this!

Is it worth the money? They never really are. The astronomical premium for a different take on four-wheeled transportation. This one's worth it. Truly, it is. Every drive it shows me something new, like the never ending TV infomercial - "Wait, there's more!". Park it in the garage, climb out in disbelief. It loves seeing me shake my head. Seriously, I can tell the car is enjoying it, whispering "I told you. It's okay, go inside the house. I've got something else to show you, when you're ready."

#19 ·
Is this a reference to my favorite movie "My Cousin Vinny"? Marisa Tomei - in that movie both incredibly hot and able to talk dirty (about cars) Wonderful!

#22 · (Edited)
I've now hit 600 miles and the fun is really just starting. I do not believe I will ever know the limits of its cornering grip on public roads. The amount of speed you can carry into a curve while remaining absolutely planted on the pavement is staggering, at least 3x the 'suggested' corner speed according to those friendly yellow signs here in the US. The constant picture-taking by passing motorists is amusing, albeit somewhat dangerous. On a related note, my 15-year-old daughter has informed me that there is a Facebook buzz going around the local high school of various kids that have spotted me around town. The best post so far has been,

"I saw an orange Mclaren smoke a mustang at a stoplight yesterday on Rt 206' has anyone else seen it around town?"

"A McLaren, really??? Man I want that car. It must have been a drug dealer."

"No, I saw the driver. It was just some middle-aged white guy."

#24 ·
Cheers to the boring middle aged fathers driving around in automotive nirvana. That FB post was too funny!!

#23 ·
The local school kids here would post..'threw a rock today at a Mclaren as the drug dealer would not stop.'......'or saw a rich Banker today in a Mclaren trying to escape the seething mass.....'

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.