McLaren Life banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I run a Supercar Driving Experience and have been doing some research on the 570S and would be great to understand more from first hand experience. We currently run a Murcielago, 430, Vantage and a couple of Lotuses... we have run a 911 Turbo but that would be the only force-fed to date...

Customers have an instructor in the passenger seat. We operate in light rain and have done without issue to date.

How does the 570S handle in the wet from your experience? Thank you!

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
Hi Guys, I run a Supercar Driving Experience and have been doing some research on the 570S and would be great to understand more from first hand experience. We currently run a Murcielago, 430, Vantage and a couple of Lotuses... we have run a 911 Turbo but that would be the only force-fed to date...

Customers have an instructor in the passenger seat. We operate in light rain and have done without issue to date.

How does the 570S handle in the wet from your experience? Thank you!
Think @zerokewl ran/runs a track drive experience. Not sure if he is still active. Maybe he will see this post and respond…

·
Registered
2019 570S Spider
50 Posts
I have owned my 570S Spider for 4 years and use it to lead multi-day tours (www.DreamDriveVacations.com) here in Eastern Canada. We have schedules to meet and have travelled in light to near-storm precipitation. I have always felt confident in the car's abilities in the rain. I also had a 997 Turbo. I personally would rather be in the 570. Again road experience only.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Mine is fine on Corsas in the wet. It might be better on the Michelins, but I'll never find out because I don't want to live with the road noise. Interestingly, I just had a repair done to one of the rear tyres that I used on the track and which doesn't have much tread left anyway, I figured I'd keep them in the garage for emergencies given the tyre supply situation, and the guy at Discount Tire was explaining to me what a pain it is to have to remove and refit the foam inserts from the Pirellis when doing a repair.

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
Think @zerokewl ran/runs a track drive experience. Not sure if he is still active. Maybe he will see this post and respond…
Track day company, so we’ve seen all types of cars - including plenty of McLaren’s - but oddly enough in 4 years we’ve never had a wet weather day in California! We run year round but it’s extremely rare to have a wet track day here.

So unfortunately not had any wet weather experience in the USA with the McLaren, but I’d expect it to perform very well, assuming you have the right tires (and certainly as good as, or better than, those others mentioned)! The tires are everything for wet performance, especially if there is any standing water. I come from England though so did plenty of wet track and road events, and the McLaren’s I saw did very well (not to mention that McLaren themselves deal with a lot of rain on their test tracks in the UK!)

Thanks!

Z.

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
Oh, another thing to add - Pure McLaren (official McLaren event) usually has an annual “drive on ice” event. Undoubtedly the cars are running Pirelli SottoZero tires (official snow/ice tires - you can tell the car you have those fitted in the onboard computer), and while not water, it does show their confidence in slippery conditions.

Thanks!

Z.

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
Oh, another thing to add - Pure McLaren (official McLaren event) usually has an annual “drive on ice” event. Undoubtedly the cars are running Pirelli SottoZero tires (official snow/ice tires - you can tell the car you have those fitted in the onboard computer), and while not water, it does show their confidence in slippery conditions.

Thanks!

Z.
I was invited to this last year, but couldn’t afford to go. Sounded like an amazing event though. When I was racing superbikes I loved racing in the rain, and when I got my race license at NHMS, it snowed during morning practice. I just went out on rain tires and hoped for the best!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Track day company, so we’ve seen all types of cars - including plenty of McLaren’s - but oddly enough in 4 years we’ve never had a wet weather day in California! We run year round but it’s extremely rare to have a wet track day here.

So unfortunately not had any wet weather experience in the USA with the McLaren, but I’d expect it to perform very well, assuming you have the right tires (and certainly as good as, or better than, those others mentioned)! The tires are everything for wet performance, especially if there is any standing water. I come from England though so did plenty of wet track and road events, and the McLaren’s I saw did very well (not to mention that McLaren themselves deal with a lot of rain on their test tracks in the UK!)

Thanks!

Z.
Okay great thanks for that Z much appreciated!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts