McLaren Life banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Low oil not a problem. No oil is. Car telling you to just add some. As long as there was enough oil to lubricate the engine all ok.
Not sure but would expect engine management to stop or give a severe warning if oil level critical??
Unfortunately these stupid McLaren dont even have any low oil warning , you can starving the engine until the low oil pressure lights comes on. You would think on an engine this expensive it would at least have an low oil warning.
I would never buy another McLaren again just for this reason alone.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Unfortunately these stupid McLaren dont even have any low oil warning , you can starving the engine until the low oil pressure lights comes on. You would think on an engine this expensive it would at least have an low oil warning.
This issue of oil and the levels was thoroughly discussed many months ago. Most people don't check, don't know how to check. Some others (including myself) started to explore it and discussed it thoroughly.

You are actually being very dramatic. The engine oil capacity is 9 liters. The too low oil reading can be from zero liters to 8 liters. The rest of the readings is one liter from the top of too low to the maximum amount.

If the oil reading was like the fuel reading then the fuel light or too low would come on when you had 80% of fuel or so remaining.

btw; you'd probably be the first person who would actually not buy a car because you were dissatisfied of when a certain warning light does or does not come on.

·
2019 Paris Blue 720S
2019 720S
804 Posts
I've owned multiple Ferraris, Porsches, BMWs, etc, and can't remember any one of them having a low oil quantity warning. Low pressure, yes, but not low quantity. Can you point me to a car that has a low quantity warning?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
I've owned multiple Ferraris, Porsches, BMWs, etc, and can't remember any one of them having a low oil quantity warning. Low pressure, yes, but not low quantity. Can you point me to a car that has a low quantity warning?
My Audi R8 has it and so does my Mercedes .

I check the oil level all the time but there are many people that does not know how. Or think they have an expensive car and will assume they will get a low oil warning .

·
Registered
337 Posts
Too low is definitely better than too high. The latter requires oil to be drained and if you have the dealership do it for you, they charge quite a bit. Whatever level it says to add, just add slightly less than it. Depending on many factors the oil sensor is not 100% accurate. And of course, you already know this but check it on a level surface.

Also I saw you checked the level at 167 degrees fare Fahrenheit. Try to check it closer to 200. The oil expands as it heats up so you’ll have a better indication of how much to add. This also reduces your chances of overfilling it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Actually it was too low at 200f .
Yes to low is better then over fill.
I found out too low could be anywhere from 0-8L . I was probably at 6.7L So how many litres of oil the can engine be at before it's starving of oil. How much does the oil tank reservoir hold anyway.

·
2019 Paris Blue 720S
2019 720S
804 Posts
I found out too low could be anywhere from 0-8L . I was probably at 6.7L So how many litres of oil the can engine be at before it's starving of oil. How much does the oil tank reservoir hold anyway.
As long as your oil pressure and temperature were okay (you would have had warnings with either) I wouldn't worry about it. Ultimately, pressure and temperature are more important than quantity (especially pressure), although of course low quantity can ultimately affect both. Sounds like you didn't have any warnings so you are almost certainly fine.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yea it seems you did check it at 201F. Idk why I said 167. Must’ve been tired lol. I have no clue how many liters the reservoir is. I’m just very conservative on filling it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 29 of 29 Posts