McLaren Life banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2017 570S
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my somewhat new two me(2017) 570S, my Navigation on Iris is reacting very strange. If I create a destination, it will set up properly, but, for instance, when a left or right turn comes up, the announcement ("in 30 meters turn Left//Right") is voiced WHILE I'm driving through the intersection. This is just a pita, and need to backtrack to get back on the route. While I know I didn't purchase the car for it's Navigation. one would think a $200K car would have a GPS unit that might be useable! My car is in the Mac dealership for another check wallet light(Cat converter dead/replacement) and they took it out for a Nav test. They told me it was weird, proceeded to take another 570 out to test, and stated it works the same as mine??? Not sure whether to believe them as I searched, and searched McLaren 570S's for Nav problems, but couldn't find a complaint. Just finding it hard to believe that the GPS system would be so poor. My only workaround would be to keep a close eye on the screen when travelling to 'anticipate' my next turn, before the intersection....! Dealer hadn't a clue for a fix... any updates were done previously. Yes, I have tried rebooting the Iris system to no avail.
Anyone have a similar problem, and if so what was the fix? My warranty is still in play, but the dealership just states it's a POS Nav system!

·
Registered
2017 570S
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow, ok, 88 views, no comments? Guess the dealership is right... I have a POS Nav system. My point in this was to hear from others as to if the 570s nav system was flawed, and if there were any fixes. Nobody else has this issue? Strange that the dealership was able to just take another out with the same problem???
Now the question.... did they take another out with the same problem???

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
Wow, ok, 88 views, no comments? Guess the dealership is right... I have a POS Nav system. My point in this was to hear from others as to if the 570s nav system was flawed, and if there were any fixes. Nobody else has this issue? Strange that the dealership was able to just take another out with the same problem???
Now the question.... did they take another out with the same problem???
I gave up using the 2016 570S navigation after a few attempts. Used Waze on my phone.

·
Registered
2017 570S
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, definitely leaning that way... it just seems so bizarre to announce a turn as the car is going through the intersection.... timing is just way off? Anyway, certainly not the end of the world, and other choices are available. I just wanted to hear if others had the same experience... thanks

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Thanks, definitely leaning that way... it just seems so bizarre to announce a turn as the car is going through the intersection.... timing is just way off? Anyway, certainly not the end of the world, and other choices are available. I just wanted to hear if others had the same experience... thanks
I've had a similar thing with the backup camera. The image was lagging and I very nearly hit something behind me.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeah... After hearing about the crappy Nav systems prior to my purchase, I was already prepared for the disappointment. However, I ran it along with Waze to give it a try and to find out myself. Turned it off after about 4hrs into my drive. Just trying to work around in the system was a PITA. I don't even bother with it anymore and just run waze.

Outside of that... "Knock on wood" my car has been rock solid for the 15k+ miles I've put on her it in roughly 18 months.

·
Registered
2017 570S
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone. Picking up the car this afternoon for a replaced dead Cat, then over to Mosport tomorrow for McLaren Track Day..... should be fun!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I’ve had that happen In my 720. I adjusted by slowing down a bit and watching the display for the distance until the turn. The last time I wanted to use the nav, the street name wasn’t even listed. iPhone had it so bought a phone mount for the next time since no update is available and to see the Waze screen.

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,317 Posts
The NAV is useful in places where your phone does not work. Yosemite for example. Anyway, my NAV is ancient IRIS 2, roughly the same as in the 570. I don't have it that bad. Actually, it's pretty decent.

Many of the problems I think with gremlins on mclarens is the complexity of software updates, and that the software updates don't fully take. I understand there are so many ECUs and speculate that that often times a fresh update does not take well just because of the interdependencies of the ECU and the pain to do a full proper software update and/or re-install.

I've had such weirdness and they've gone completely away with just a proper update/re-install.

·
Registered
2017 570S
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Didn't F1 used to run at Mosport?
Yes, I believe so, back in the 60/70s. F1 has been in Montreal now for almost 35+ years. I use to race factory Yamaha motorcycles (in another life) back in the 70>80s. Mosport ( Canadian Tire Motorsport track/ maybe name has changed again... loved Mosport, good challenge for a rider as some corners are good speed with off-camber banking... a great mix! Daytona was my favourite track, any even when the AMA mandated restrictors to slow things down, the fast boys were still turning 185mph+!!! Anyway, dealer tells me there should be at least 30 Macs’ out there tomorrow. I’m just a spectator, although I wish my body had a second life.... lol! Thank you all again for you perspectives, it seems Waze has the vote...!

·
Owner
1,075 Posts
I don't use the nav much, but every time I have, it has been fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just put it in map mode, look at the pretty screen and use Waze on your iPhone. Waze gives police warnings and detours. My IRIS screen usually Pandora linked in from my iPhone. LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts