McLaren Life banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow members, I start this post by thanking everyone who takes the time to help me out.
Well, Im planning to buy a 2016 570S with aprox 50k miles.
Ive read in some forum posts that some 2016s got problems with coolants(same problem that the mp4’s had.) and, even if the car was under dealer warranty, they wouldnt cover it leaving the loss to the owner.

So, based on all of your experiences, I got few questions listed below:

1- Since its a high mileage car, is it safe to say that if the car would be prone to have any problem, it wouldve had happened already and its all fixed?

2- Yes, a PPI would be great. How do I find someone to take a look on the car around Pleasanton-CA

3- After reading those problems with the coolant that stays close to the cats, if I drive long hours, is it going to be an issue?

4- what else should I detect if a car has problems and the dealer wants to “hide” from me?

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
With that many miles I would be concerned it was a rental vehicle do your two typical due diligence on the service history and maybe call Mclaren dealer to see if any warranty claims.

I believe I saw this one listed on AutoTrader was it priced at around $110,000 or something?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Mileage *really* kills values. I don't know the 570S market that well, but I'd be amazed if that car is worth over $100K. Be very careful not to over-pay - you practically have to give away (relatively) cars with that mileage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With that many miles I would be concerned it was a rental vehicle do your two typical due diligence on the service history and maybe call Mclaren dealer to see if any warranty claims.

I believe I saw this one listed on AutoTrader was it priced at around $110,000 or something?
Correct! $118k
And I read it was a rental use up until 30k miles ish.
Well, I plan to use it as a daily drive, so Id drive 10-15k miles per year.

·
Owner
302 Posts
Just like any car purchase. Do your due diligence! Any McLaren dealer should be able to PPI it. You may even be able to put a warranty on it through McLaren.

But to ask anonymous people on a forum if a particular car is going to be a problem is silly. If the car has been a rental, it probably has had a tough life. That is common sense. But it might be a good buy and a fun driver.

If you are just looking for the cheapest car.... they usually end up being the most expensive.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Just like any car purchase. Do your due diligence! Any McLaren dealer should be able to PPI it. You may even be able to put a warranty on it through McLaren. ……………..
The McLaren extended insurance 'warranty' does not cover vehicles that have been used for commercial purposes.

Agree with you that it would be best to have McLaren SF (only local Mc dealer) complete a vehicle inspection prior to purchase. Perhaps the non McLaren selling dealer would agree to a sale contingent upon a successful PPI inspection being done at McLaren SF at buyers expense?

If that suggestion is unacceptable to the selling dealer you could PM @XPRD and ask if he can help or recommend a mechanic to check the car. Without a warranty you may need XPRD's help in the future, for servicing and parts — he is located in the Bay Area

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just like any car purchase. Do your due diligence! Any McLaren dealer should be able to PPI it. You may even be able to put a warranty on it through McLaren.

But to ask anonymous people on a forum if a particular car is going to be a problem is silly. If the car has been a rental, it probably has had a tough life. That is common sense. But it might be a good buy and a fun driver.

If you are just looking for the cheapest car.... they usually end up being the most expensive.
I ask because, before even considering buying a ticket to see the car, Id hear from different owners if its worth. For instance, my corvette was a pace car and it was worth every penny.
And yes, this will be my first supercar.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have always been curious with the added cost per mile of driving,depreciating, and maintaining a super car why someone would want to daily the car, especially 15k miles per year. Even a tap on a bumper or a door ding is exponentially so much more devastating on these cars(car fax accident). Having the car in the elements being weather beaten is more costly than a camry. And for daily use the lack of space or firm suspensions can become annoying. I mean being that you can afford this car wouldn't you rather leasing an Altima or something to daily?? Im not saying anything is wrong with it I'm just always curios why.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have always been curious with the added cost per mile of driving,depreciating, and maintaining a super car why someone would want to daily the car, especially 15k miles per year. Even a tap on a bumper or a door ding is exponentially so much more devastating on these cars(car fax accident). Having the car in the elements being weather beaten is more costly than a camry. And for daily use the lack of space or firm suspensions can become annoying. I mean being that you can afford this car wouldn't you rather leasing an Altima or something to daily?? Im not saying anything is wrong with it I'm just always curios why.
I answer thar easily brother. The fun to drive. Im buying this car, not to just drive once a week or for the weekend. The best part of buying a supercar is actually using to whats supposed to do. Im not really paying attention on the depreciation, but mire the experience and the fun on owning and driving it. :))

·
Registered
61 Posts
To give benefit of the doubt, I hope that rental usage was on Turo or similar, rather than a car retired from a track fleet (e.g. Exotics Racing).

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
To give benefit of the doubt, I hope that rental usage was on Turo or similar, rather than a car retired from a track fleet (e.g. Exotics Racing).
I am guessing was either royalty.exotics or maybe exotics racing or some group like that in vegas where it had different people hooning it everyday

Also check wear and tear on interior

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
is this 570S a dark grey and is in Florida??? if it is I know the car and owner very well

1 - 17 of 17 Posts