McLaren Life banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Fairly new 570 spider owner here. Love the car! Though 5 weeks into ownership getting to that point of familiarity where you start to become more observant to certain things.

One of which that seems unusual to me is the gear kickdown. The transitions between gears are seamless and super quick! but I feel like the car is dropping to the wrong gear when I 'put my foot down' as it were.

I.e 35mph in 4th/5th gear, foot-flat, i'd expect that to drop to 2nd around 5k rpm and be right on peak power. But it doesn't in that case mine always drops to 3rd gear and outside the optimal power band. Resulting in that 3/4k-6k pull feeling pretty laggy/guttless.

Is this common in the 570 spider? I thought maybe it's just my mind playing compare as my previous 991 turbo PDK, would've selected 2nd for sure, as would my R8 V10+.....And weirdly I had a 570GT 2 years back and I never noticed it then so much either. But that was my first DCT car.

In manual mode by the way, all fine, select 2nd and it flies, and i'm sure it'll be fine on track based on that too. But it's odd to me that the car just "isnt ready" to go in Automatic when you stamp on the pedal.

All input appreciated! :)

S

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve tried across all three modes. In normal and sport it’s very obviously choosing the wrong gear in my opinion. Sometimes 1 gear too high, I’ve even thought sometimes may be 2 gears too high!

in track definitely less, but still definitely grabs 3rd when it should grab 2nd. If the idea is when it shifts down it puts the RPM in the sweet spot to get you optimal power instantly. Again that’s how my Audi/Porsche/lambo worked. I’m surprised this doesn’t. To the point where I’m wondering it isn’t standard...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would have to test it to see if mine is the same. I personally rarely drive in auto mode as I like having full control. Not sure what other models you had in the Audi, Porsche, and Lambo group but another thought might be that the computer is trying to shift to the gear where it can optimally put down the power to the ground. Being a high HP light RWD car, you might not want it to go to 2nd because it would lose traction. If the other cars were AWD, might not have the same challenge.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, potentially a fair shout. They were all AWD.

but then again, as you said above, you’ll know very well that when in manual, you’d just blip down to 2nd and let loose. It seems to cope with that just fine and it’s just a click of the hand so I wonder why the computer doesn’t do the same in auto.

I wonder if when I read articles about the 570 being laggy, it’s because of this. It actually isn’t that laggy at all imo when you use the gears right in manual. But to someone only in auto man it feels like it takes forever to pick up after the kick down.

I’d be interested to see if this is just a common thing in the 570 or someone has been messing with the software in this one.It’s quite disappointing actually!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah, potentially a fair shout. They were all AWD.

but then again, as you said above, you’ll know very well that when in manual, you’d just blip down to 2nd and let loose. It seems to cope with that just fine and it’s just a click of the hand so I wonder why the computer doesn’t do the same in auto.

I wonder if when I read articles about the 570 being laggy, it’s because of this. It actually isn’t that laggy at all imo when you use the gears right in manual. But to someone only in auto man it feels like it takes forever to pick up after the kick down.

I’d be interested to see if this is just a common thing in the 570 or someone has been messing with the software in this one.It’s quite disappointing actually!
Jumping to 2nd might not actually be optimal as the computer will neuter the car as soon as it thinks wheel spin will happen. After having this car on the track, I have noticed that the car tries to save you all the time and takes swift corrective action to do so. IE, coming out of a bend and jumping on the gas at WOT, as soon as it detects wheel spin it cuts power. If you come out of a bend feathering the throttle or in a higher gear at WOT, no cut and it rips.

·
Spec 570 Spider soon
Waiting to spec Artura Spider!
462 Posts
Yeah I used auto mode once, during the test drive, and decided on the spot that I’d never use it again. Just shift manually.
Yeah, so I was nervous three years ago, the first time I was at an, ooooh, McLaren dealership, and on my first test drive, that I stuck with Auto just to bring the tension level down a bit; HOWEVER the very next time I drove a Mac was a half day 570 rental in Vegas. Manual all the way. Paddle shift every single twitch of that transmission. Holy sh!t. Much better experience! I've just gotta say that those folks at Graziano are really nailing their stuff down tight!

This just underscores how Macs react to their drivers: the more you ask of them, the more they deliver. Come in tame, and they behave. Come in hot, and they respond.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts