McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone!

I know there a million threads on this subject, but with the recent COVID crisis I figured I'd bring it up again. Where do you all see the future values of the 570S? I purchased my Spider in late March of this year and I've been offered more on trade-in value from two different dealerships than I originally paid for it. I never thought this would be an appreciating purchase, and I know it's a temporary bubble due to lack of supply, but where do you see the values settling once the replacement comes out? I've been thinking about selling to buy or hold out for a perfectly optioned 675LT.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Hey Everyone!

I know there a million threads on this subject, but with the recent COVID crisis I figured I'd bring it up again. Where do you all see the future values of the 570S? I purchased my Spider in late March of this year and I've been offered more on trade-in value from two different dealerships than I originally paid for it. I never thought this would be an appreciating purchase, and I know it's a temporary bubble due to lack of supply, but where do you see the values settling once the replacement comes out? I've been thinking about selling to buy or hold out for a perfectly optioned 675LT.

Thanks!
long term I guess they will be around the price lvl of 650s (right in the 125-165 range) but not lower

·
Registered
371 Posts
Trade-in value is usually higher than outright sell value. These cars are not an investments. Enjoy driving it while you can.

·
Owner
626 Posts
While they aren't investments, I think there are a group of people that have zero interest in a hybrid. That should keep demand for the non-hybrid cars up.

Reactions: 06viper

·
Registered
127 Posts
Any non hybrid/electric exotic will become collectible within the next 5-10 years guaranteed. Especially now that communist Biden and the dems want to put an end to anything remotely gas powered, pretty sad unfortunately. Cars will become just disposable items that you can order from amazon since they will all be electric.

Reactions: wormman and RBH

·
Registered
114 Posts
Any non hybrid/electric exotic will become collectible within the next 5-10 years guaranteed. Especially now that communist Biden and the dems want to put an end to anything remotely gas powered, pretty sad unfortunately. Cars will become just disposable items that you can order from amazon since they will all be electric.
For the sake of comity is here any chance you could control your politically motivated emotional outbursts and concentrate on cars we all enjoy?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
IMO it will go down just like all exotics.
yes of course, but even a 20y old 996 has some value, and in comparison to eg. an R8.2 or Gallardo or AMG GTS or 997 Turbo a 570s is more car - so it’s value won’t drop below those

·
Registered
975 Posts
Trade-in value isn't necessarily the actual value of the car. My personal approach is to buy when I see good fun for the money. I tend to keep cars long-term, so assume that the car will be worthless after my ownership.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
When you say trade in value were they looking to buy the car outright or were you looking at purchasing another car from them if you were looking at another car from that dealer you can bet your ass they are making good money on the sale price of your new vehicle that is why they can offer higher than you actually paid for your car

·
Registered
2019 McLaren 600LT Chicane Effect
40 Posts

For the sake of comity is here any chance you could control your politically motivated emotional outbursts and concentrate on cars we all enjoy?
No matter what your political view is, he's right. We are talking about value ICE powered cars, especially exotics. Here in California they already made new gasoline cars illegal by 2035 (15 years from now), with heavy push for phasing out even before that. Biden's team is also in the same boat of wanting to get rid of fossil fuels and the need for them, and he has verbal backing of the legislature. When a government for whatever reason decides to ban future manufacturing, or selling new versions of that item, those items always seem to greatly increase in value. One example was sears for selective fire of AR-15's. Back int he early 80's you could buy one for about $200 and pay another $200 for your tax stamp, but as soon as they made them illegal to manufacture any new ones, those sears became worth $15K-20K basically over night. Another car related one was R34's. When the government said no more could be imported, those cars went from a $40K value to being in the $150k+ value. If the government had let them to be continued to be imported, they would likely not even held the $40k price tags. Many other examples as well, all with increases in value for the items that was banned from future production.

·
Registered
570S Spyder Blade Silver, Saddle Tan interior
3 Posts
Hey Everyone!

Thanks!

·
Registered
570S Spyder Blade Silver, Saddle Tan interior
3 Posts
We are all car guys here.

M500, I get on the one hand you want to maximize whatever value you currently hold in the car that you have in the garage. Why not sell/trade now if the value is at it’s highest? After all, you might end up with a little more money in the bank at the end of the day.
And I also can understand how scarcity can lead to higher values on objects. While I personally see the wisdom of driving an electric car for commuting and errands (I own a Tesla), I have zero interest in owning a sports car with batteries. So a fully ICE 570S might become more valuable once the hybrid replacement arrives.
Overall, I wonder if asking about residual value/current value on a supercar might be asking the wrong question. These objects are passion purchases, with absolutely no rational reason to buy one. Do I think about residual value when I let the kid at cars and coffee open the dihedral door and watch him smile? Do I think about trade in values when I’m setting up for the next apex at the track? When I am washing my car in the driveway and some other car guy stops and wants to chat about my 570S am I thinking about how much I paid for the car? Nope, nope and nope.
I hope you enjoy you car as much as I do. These cars are expensive but try not to worry too much about the £, $, or €.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The "cars we all enjoy" will be no more in the next 5-10 years most likely. Not starting a political argument, just frustrated and sad that the Gov wants to take, and will take away ICE engines very soon, thats all. But back to the topic of the thread, it's just simple economics 101 supply and demand. People still want and have a desire for ICE engines in exotics. And if future exotics are only going to be offered as hybrid/ electric, then the demand for pure ICE exotics is going to go up significantly no matter what brand of vehicle. Personally I think any exotic V12 no matter what vehicle manufacture is going to be the holy grail of collectible ICE vehicles, especially Murci's and Aventadors since they are NA V12's. In terms of Mclaren, they are the fastest value for money stock ICE exotics you can buy on the market today, end of story. The 570, 600, 720, and 765 are the last vehicles of the era of pure ICE exotics (not including hypercars like Senna) and that should play a major part in terms of collectability down the road. They are the best of the best for ICE exotics, and 20-30 years from now when Mclarens will be rolling across the block at collector car auctions, people are going to remember that.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Also, Supply and Demand have a much bigger influence than I ever would have thought. I just heard yesterday that the values of regular used cars are way up over last year. A friend of mine owns a bicycle shop and said people are pouring money into used bikes (and paying a premium to buy them) since the supply chain of new bikes has been disrupted.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Overall, I wonder if asking about residual value/current value on a supercar might be asking the wrong question. These objects are passion purchases, with absolutely no rational reason to buy one. Do I think about residual value when I let the kid at cars and coffee open the dihedral door and watch him smile? Do I think about trade in values when I’m setting up for the next apex at the track? When I am washing my car in the driveway and some other car guy stops and wants to chat about my 570S am I thinking about how much I paid for the car? Nope, nope and nope.
I hope you enjoy you car as much as I do. These cars are expensive but try not to worry too much about the £, $, or €.
This. I went in KNOWING I'm going to be losing money on my 570s but it's just the price of admission. A year and half into ownership and ZERO regrets. Such a joy to drive and seems to bring smiles to everyone I come across while out and about in it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
While they aren't investments, I think there are a group of people that have zero interest in a hybrid. That should keep demand for the non-hybrid cars up.
yes agree. I will always be a V8 person and there are many like me who will no longer be able to get a V8 with the new hybrids replacing the V8's, so i am quietly confident that the latest move by Mclaren to Hybrids will help the resale values of V8's. Unless they drop the Hybrids and start producing V8's again and flood the market as they did in the past, than it will change again. Hopefully Mclaren can do what Porsche does and carefully match supply and demands of their cars and not simply pump out as many cars as they can, thinking only of short term profits and not long term prosperity. Mclarens long term prosperity must be off the back of customers being able to retain a reasonable value of their cars otherwise they will not get repeat loyal customers which is where long term prosperity for the company comes from.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would love to see the value of the 570 S increase, and I say this because I own one since March of 2020. While I do enjoy the car here in the northeast, while the weather last, the price of the maintenance of these vehicles is outrageous. I am considering trading mine in an getting back in a 911 Turbo Porsche. While I do like the 570 S I am not impressed at all with McLaren's customer service. I receive better customer care with my daughters Murano...END OF RANT

1 - 20 of 27 Posts