McLaren Life banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2017, Mclaren 570s
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

New to the forum and pretty new to the Mclaren world, loving it so far but had a couple of failures since purchase. Battery being the first and now the fuel filler cap is playing up.

McLaren are ordering in the replacement part under my extended warranty, I have the car now with approx 1/2 tank of fuel. They told me it would be 2/3 days until the part comes in so just be careful and don’t run out of fuel.
Yesterday I was told the part lead time is 28 days time and there isn’t a manual way to open the cap... so I’ve just to go without a car for 28 days.
I need the car as I don’t have access to another plus I have a track day next week.
Does anyone know of a manual way to open this fuel cap or should McLaren offer me a courtesy car (obviously not for the track day). I don’t see anything in the warranty paper work that mentions courtesy car but 28 days without a car is a bit harsh.

Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated

cheers

Paddy

2017 570s

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi Guys,

New to the forum and pretty new to the Mclaren world, loving it so far but had a couple of failures since purchase. Battery being the first and now the fuel filler cap is playing up.

McLaren are ordering in the replacement part under my extended warranty, I have the car now with approx 1/2 tank of fuel. They told me it would be 2/3 days until the part comes in so just be careful and don’t run out of fuel.
Yesterday I was told the part lead time is 28 days time and there isn’t a manual way to open the cap... so I’ve just to go without a car for 28 days.
I need the car as I don’t have access to another plus I have a track day next week.
Does anyone know of a manual way to open this fuel cap or should McLaren offer me a courtesy car (obviously not for the track day). I don’t see anything in the warranty paper work that mentions courtesy car but 28 days without a car is a bit harsh.

Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated

cheers

Paddy

2017 570s
I think in this situation a courtesy car wouldn’t be out of the question. But it would be at the discretion of the dealer and for 28 days will almost certainly just be an econo-box. Not anything we can solve for you on the forums, but I would encourage you reach out to the dealer about getting one.

I’m just more amazed you only have a 570 and no other vehicles available?

Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2017, Mclaren 570s
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input.

My partner has a car but she uses it for work so minimal access to it.

Just surprised there is no manual way to open or something the Mclaren techs can do to allow it to be used temporary even if it’s removing the lock function.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Thanks for your input.

My partner has a car but she uses it for work so minimal access to it.

Just surprised there is no manual way to open or something the Mclaren techs can do to allow it to be used temporary even if it’s removing the lock function.

its mechanical in nature, so whats the problem with it? when you unlock the door it does not un lock the cover?

·
Registered
2017, Mclaren 570s
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its mechanical in nature, so whats the problem with it? when you unlock the door it does not un lock the cover?
yeah exactly, the car unlocks but the cover doesn’t. You push it in and it doesn’t pop open.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
maybe you can try a few things... various types of pressure over the gas cover/lid where the mechanism is while unlocking the car... Also the whole lid can slide left and right slightly (making the pannel gap between the gas cap and the fender in either direction) and try moving it around a little while unlocking. If its an electrical thing then im not sure....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Paddy welcome to the forum
Maybe this could be of help

·
Registered
2017, Mclaren 570s
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
maybe you can try a few things... various types of pressure over the gas cover/lid where the mechanism is while unlocking the car... Also the whole lid can slide left and right slightly (making the pannel gap between the gas cap and the fender in either direction) and try moving it around a little while unlocking. If its an electrical thing then im not sure....
Just tried all that but no luck sadly, I’m going to call the garage again tomorrow and see if there is anything they can do

·
Registered
2017, Mclaren 570s
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just read all that, very interesting about the cap popping open automatically when the tank was low.

when the problem first presented itself, I was at the petrol station with approx 35 miles to go on the clock. I went straight to the mclaren garage and got there at 0 miles left... I got out the car and checked if it would open... no luck, I never locked the car. I spoke to the guy at the desk and looked over at the car and the cap had popped open.
We just thought it was a coincidence, left it open and filled it up with fuel and expected the part in 2/3 days which has now turned into 28 days.
I’m very surprised that there would be some logic to make it pop open if petrol is low but it can’t open normally, I’m not sure of how it operates normally though so hard to say.
I’ll keep use informed if any further developments.

·
Registered
2019 McLaren 600LT Chicane Effect
15 Posts
courtesy car wouldn’t be out of the question. But it would be at the discretion of the dealer and for 28 days will almost certainly just be an econo-box. Not anything we can solve for you on the forums, but I would encourage you reach out to the dealer about getting one.

I’m just more amazed you only have a 570 and no other vehicles available?

Best of luck
Yep, it will be up to the dealer. Some dealers are part of a much larger group and may have something from one of their other dealerships as well (although that usually creates paperwork hassles for them.). I'm not sure if that is an option in England. Check with them and see what can be done, and explain your situation.

I'll also add that I had a friend that had a Ducati Desmosedici as his only mode of transportation. For someone that spent that that much on a bike (~$75K in 2007), he sure spent a lot of time on the bus...

·
Registered
2017, Mclaren 570s
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After some more chat on the phone I am taking the car in on Monday and the techs are going to try and frig it in some way that they can get it to open and close but most likely won’t lock... fingers crossed

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for sharing: you scared me as we were about to take an 800 mile trip, I almost cancelled. But I took a picture of the lock mechanism so in an emergency I could maybe insert a small plastic spatula to release it

·
Registered
2017, Mclaren 570s
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for sharing: you scared me as we were about to take an 800 mile trip, I almost cancelled. But I took a picture of the lock mechanism so in an emergency I could maybe insert a small plastic spatula to release it
Good idea!

·
Registered
2017, Mclaren 570s
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anyway I went in today to see if they could do a temp work around and the part luckily arrived 20 days early so all sorted now!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts