McLaren Life banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Certainly a personal decision...but would appreciate any further insight, experience or other recommendations with regards to owning a 570S Coupe vs. Spider or vice-versa? Resale, price, maintenance or any other feedback to consider...

·
Registered
93 Posts
How about a 3rd option: 570GT

I've always look at getting a convertible in various cars, but I never end up getting one. With the 570, I ended up with the GT because:
  • I like driving the car as much as possible, even during the winter (when there's no snow and the roads a re clear).
  • Here in north jersey, most of the days of the year are either too hot, too cold, or raining, so the number of days to have the roof down is small unless you are one of these people that will have the roof down in 30 degree temps.
  • The glass roof lets the light and and gives you an open feel regardless of the weather.
So the 570GT is perfect for me. However:
  • If you want to track the car, get the 570S
  • If you live in San Diego or someplace else with great weather all the time, get the Spider.

·
Registered
213 Posts
There is practically zero difference between coupe or Spider, therefore Spider is the choice as it adds value to your car and a different option if you enjoy the sunshine.

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
I had a 570s coupe, drove it for 11k miles and loved it. I traded it for a Spider, which I still have, and love. If you like top down driving, get the Spider. Because of the CF tub, McLaren spiders are about the only ones available where you don't lose any structural rigidity by cutting the roof off. Sure you gain a few pounds with the roof mechanism, but odds are, even if you're a full time track rat, I bet you'd never know the difference.

-Jamie.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Only downside I can think of with spider is more moving parts to go wrong / seals to start leaking. Other than that spider all the way.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Spider. No question. 😎 When closed no one can even tell it’s a spider, when open it’s glorious - no matter where you live. In England I would have top down in the SNOW! Heated seats and heaters on, no problem.

Unless you literally live somewhere you can’t put the top down, in which case why even get a supercar...

The only advantages I see on the coupe is the extra space behind the seats (although you can use the tonneau area on the Spider too, so you regain a lot of that space), and the slight weight advantage - which isn’t huge - my friend and I are only about 2mph apart at 158mph in the half mile. The other advantage is that it’s much cheaper than the spider, but the spider will retain more value.

Thanks!

Z.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Spider.

Modern exotic coupes really only exist so the business can double dip. If spiders were released alongside coupes, coupes would pretty much never get sold. This is especially true for McLaren due to the tub. There is almost no reason to buy a coupe over a spider other than 1) price or 2) climate, but even number 1 is questionable given the already high prices and the small delta. $20-30K doesn't really matter once you're already at these prices.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts