McLaren Life banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Prototype 570 S & 570GT front Aero vanes.
Needed for cars with aftermarket rear wings.
ABS base with urethane rubber vanes.
Final version in about 30 days.
May fit 600LT but will need to verify.
20190908_153411.jpg
20190908_173405.jpg

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Interesting design. This one looks more like a channel though. The OEM ones only have one side wall, pushing all air on either side back towards the wheel well/door. This one seems more like a C-channel.

Any reason the design differs from the OEM ones? The aero benefit would likely be better with one wall, like the OEM one, as I believe the goal is to deflect the turbulent air from the wheel wells outwards so as not to cause an increase in the air pressure at the nose (i.e. so clean low pressure air flys down the middle of the car).

Also, how much were you going to charge for a set of these?

Thanks!

Z.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
720S use two vanes on each side.
The purpose of the vanes is to create a low pressure area behind the vanes to create more downforce under the front of the car.
The vanes were designed by an engineer who was involved with CAD, CFD, and other engineering software for NASA, the aircraft industry, and the automotive industry.
If you look at the flow-vis pattern you can see a large quantity is being deposited on the underside of the car on the outside of the vanes.
This indicates a low pressure area that is sucking the flow-vis up. The rest is being scattered in small droplets with the air flow under the car.
This test was only 100mph on one side of the car. Once the production parts are available the next test will be at the track at higher speeds.
I am not the person producing the parts only testing since I have access to several tracks in the local area and have a shop that builds track cars.
Once the production version has been tested I will share the contact for the company that is going to produce the aero vanes.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You mean two sets for your application? I've seen a 720s on a lift at my dealer when I was looking to buy my guide vanes, which I did, 720s only use one set as does the 570s hdf kit. I'd be surprised if they're not the same for 570s/720s from what I saw based on the new 570s versions. The old 570s ones were a 2 piece.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
720S Spyder only uses one pair due to a different Aero configuration.
720S coupe uses two pair as per the picture posted.
The after market wings such as the Agency Power AP-570S-670 67" Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler which I have installed produces more rear downforce than the McClaren high downforce kit.
We are developing a solution for aftermarket wings not the OEM McLaren kit.
Real world track testing with flow-vis and and lap time comparisons will be used to develop these Areo devices.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The 720s coupe on the rack I saw only had one pair. I have the same APR element wing. You're not going to get enough reliable data from a lap time comparison. You need pressure sensors and ideally a controlled environment such as a wind tunnel get any real info.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
720S Spyder only uses one pair due to a different Aero configuration.
720S coupe uses two pair as per the picture posted.
The after market wings such as the Agency Power AP-570S-670 67" Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler which I have installed produces more rear downforce than the McClaren high downforce kit.
We are developing a solution for aftermarket wings not the OEM McLaren kit.
Real world track testing with flow-vis and and lap time comparisons will be used to develop these Areo devices.
I plan to install potentiometers on my suspension when I get a chance - I'd highly recommend you (or whoever is making these) doing the same to get reliable numbers. Then you can measure actual downforce changes - a much more effective selling tool. Too many vendors who sell parts for supercars get away with virtually zero measurable stats. I see it like high end audio; So much snakeoil in high end audio that people with more money than sense buy in to with absolutely no measurable proof something works. I've seen cables where an oscilloscope shows identical wave forms through a cable, but owners who spent $30K per foot for the cable swear it makes a difference.

Providing a precise force @ velocity number (like "added 20KG of downforce at 100mph") is much more useful. Maybe even do something like:

1) Get the stock front measured downforce AND rear measured downforce. Work out the ratio front to back.
2) Get the downforce with front and rear aero bits added, and show that the ratio is maintained, or if it isn't for stability reasons (i.e. maybe a different ratio makes sense, which I feel like it does on the 570's which need more biasing to the back), you can show empirical data for it.

Thanks!

Z.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
570S has suspension potentiometers for each wheel from the factory. They are 0 to 5 volt linear potentiometers that communicate with the magnetic shock controller. You can tap into the wiring to log the voltage. You would also need to log the speed of the car and the steering wheel angle to have any valid info on downforce from aero devices. I use the OEM potentiometers on GM Corvettes to measure suspension travel for aero tuning and suspension setup. I have calibrations that interpret voltage to suspension movement. I also log brake pressure (for dive), accelerator (for squat), and steering wheel angle for determining load on the outside wheels. There is not software I am aware of that will allow you to log those functions and analog 0 to 5 voltages in the McLaren world. AIM has support for the 650S in the SOLO2/DL but there is not a way to log the linear potentiometers with it. What I am working on is a solution for track cars for people that do not want to spend $10K+ for the McLaren solution. The 570 understeers from the factory at the limit by design. I will use data from the McLaren Track telemetry system to evaluate the areo balance based on lap times and how the car handles at track speeds.
mvp-6945-(ZF-6457-82461-1-047).jpg

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
570S has suspension potentiometers for each wheel from the factory. They are 0 to 5 volt linear potentiometers that communicate with the magnetic shock controller. You can tap into the wiring to log the voltage. You would also need to log the speed of the car and the steering wheel angle to have any valid info on downforce from aero devices. I use the OEM potentiometers on GM Corvettes to measure suspension travel for aero tuning and suspension setup. I have calibrations that interpret voltage to suspension movement. I also log brake pressure (for dive), accelerator (for squat), and steering wheel angle for determining load on the outside wheels. There is not software I am aware of that will allow you to log those functions and analog 0 to 5 voltages in the McLaren world. AIM has support for the 650S in the SOLO2/DL but there is not a way to log the linear potentiometers with it. What I am working on is a solution for track cars for people that do not want to spend $10K+ for the McLaren solution. The 570 understeers from the factory at the limit by design. I will use data from the McLaren Track telemetry system to evaluate the areo balance based on lap times and how the car handles at track speeds.
Thanks wstaab - didn't realize they had OEM ones on there, but makes sense. I'll see what I can do to tap those signals and log them!

Thanks!

Z.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
570S rear suspension potentiometer. Same part located at all four suspension locations.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
3 Participants
wstaab
McLaren Life
McLaren Life is the best McLaren forum to discuss reliability, problems & more for supercar models like the F1, P1, 570, 650, 12C, and 720S!
Full Forum Listing