McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New here, currently Porsche Boxster GTS (981) driver and looking to buy a 570GT.

But: I'm in a wheelchair after a severe motorcycle accident in 2001 with an incomplete spinal cord injury.
My chair is a very compact foldable one, and due to my spinal cord injury being incomplete, I almost never use the detachable footrest part of my wheelchair.
I just lift my legs. The footrest is only used on a very long stroll.
I can still stand if I can hold onto something. So I sit down on the front of the frunk, take my chair apart and stow it in the frunk (Boxster has 150 L content), get to the drivers door and into the car.

The chair fits perfectly in the frunk of a Porsche Boxster 981, 718, or 911 991 and 992 series (also in older ones, but I want a modern car).
This is very convenient, so I can still take my wife in the passenger seat and luggage in the rear trunk.
And when the wheels of my chair are dirty, the dirt stays in the frunk, so no hassle with cleaning off the wheels.

Only mod for controls is the brake.
I have a manual (custom made) brake lever at the left of the steering wheel and can brake without taking my hand of the steering wheel. No high tech, really simple and works excellent.
I use my right foot for the throttle, but reaction in my leg is to slow to switch from throttle to brake pedal when driving. I use my right foot though for controlling speed with the brake pedal when parking.
Advantage of a brake at the steering wheel is, besides very short reaction time, you can do left foot braking :).
This mod should not be a problem in a McLaren (it is only an issue in cars with a knee airbag).

This all works very well, and I really like driving the Boxster, but I want something different and more powerful.
Of course a 911 is an option (991.2 GTS or 992 S, not really interested in a Turbo or Turbo S), and I also could get a cabrio if I want.
And I definitively want RWD, no 4WD.

Read a lot about McLaren cars, and they seem to be in another league then a 911.
Pricing of used McLaren's is not that much different then a recent 991.2 or a 992.

So I went to the only dealer in the Netherlands, and hoped my chair would also fit in the frunk, like in the Boxster, since a 570 series has 144 L storage according to the specs. The dealer has almost every model in stock, but not a 570GT.
They were very helpful, and we tried to see if the chair fits.
But no go. The frame and wheels fit, but the 24" wheels of my chair (the smallest ones available) are just to high. They go in the frunk, but you can't close the lid.
It looks like the frunk of the Porsche is just a little deeper.

So I first thought: this is a no-go, and it will be looking at a 911.
But after some thinking, I recalled when I was first driving again after my accident, I put my chair besides me on the passenger seat.
So that would at least solve one problem. Of course, you get more dirt in the car (that's why I always put it in the frunk of the Porsche and in the rear trunk of my BMW 5-series), but that would not be the end of the world.
When I look at the options, there really isn't much choice. I need more storage space then a frunk-only solution. This leaves out all the spiders and normal coupe versions.
The only car what offers this is a 570GT. The new GT is way above budget, and the frunk is also to small (I was allowed to try this in a brand new car in the showroom, thanks guys!).

Now the question is: would a wheelchair fit in the rear trunk of a 570GT?
When my wife drives with me, she can put the chair in the back and luggage goes into the frunk.

Unfortunately, there wasn't a 570GT available in the Netherlands for testing.

So i have the following questions:
  • has anybody experience with a wheelchair in a McLaren?
  • is there anybody in Belgium or the Netherlands who has a 570GT, so we can try this out?
All help or advice is appreciated!

Jos

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Hi all,

New here, currently Porsche Boxster GTS (981) driver and looking to buy a 570GT.

But: I'm in a wheelchair after a severe motorcycle accident in 2001 with an incomplete spinal cord injury.
My chair is a very compact foldable one, and due to my spinal cord injury being incomplete, I almost never use the detachable footrest part of my wheelchair.
I just lift my legs. The footrest is only used on a very long stroll.
I can still stand if I can hold onto something. So I sit down on the front of the frunk, take my chair apart and stow it in the frunk (Boxster has 150 L content), get to the drivers door and into the car.

The chair fits perfectly in the frunk of a Porsche Boxster 981, 718, or 911 991 and 992 series (also in older ones, but I want a modern car).
This is very convenient, so I can still take my wife in the passenger seat and luggage in the rear trunk.
And when the wheels of my chair are dirty, the dirt stays in the frunk, so no hassle with cleaning off the wheels.

Only mod for controls is the brake.
I have a manual (custom made) brake lever at the left of the steering wheel and can brake without taking my hand of the steering wheel. No high tech, really simple and works excellent.
I use my right foot for the throttle, but reaction in my leg is to slow to switch from throttle to brake pedal when driving. I use my right foot though for controlling speed with the brake pedal when parking.
Advantage of a brake at the steering wheel is, besides very short reaction time, you can do left foot braking :).
This mod should not be a problem in a McLaren (it is only an issue in cars with a knee airbag).

This all works very well, and I really like driving the Boxster, but I want something different and more powerful.
Of course a 911 is an option (991.2 GTS or 992 S, not really interested in a Turbo or Turbo S), and I also could get a cabrio if I want.
And I definitively want RWD, no 4WD.

Read a lot about McLaren cars, and they seem to be in another league then a 911.
Pricing of used McLaren's is not that much different then a recent 991.2 or a 992.

So I went to the only dealer in the Netherlands, and hoped my chair would also fit in the frunk, like in the Boxster, since a 570 series has 144 L storage according to the specs. The dealer has almost every model in stock, but not a 570GT.
They were very helpful, and we tried to see if the chair fits.
But no go. The frame and wheels fit, but the 24" wheels of my chair (the smallest ones available) are just to high. They go in the frunk, but you can't close the lid.
It looks like the frunk of the Porsche is just a little deeper.

So I first thought: this is a no-go, and it will be looking at a 911.
But after some thinking, I recalled when I was first driving again after my accident, I put my chair besides me on the passenger seat.
So that would at least solve one problem. Of course, you get more dirt in the car (that's why I always put it in the frunk of the Porsche and in the rear trunk of my BMW 5-series), but that would not be the end of the world.
When I look at the options, there really isn't much choice. I need more storage space then a frunk-only solution. This leaves out all the spiders and normal coupe versions.
The only car what offers this is a 570GT. The new GT is way above budget, and the frunk is also to small (I was allowed to try this in a brand new car in the showroom, thanks guys!).

Now the question is: would a wheelchair fit in the rear trunk of a 570GT?
When my wife drives with me, she can put the chair in the back and luggage goes into the frunk.

Unfortunately, there wasn't a 570GT available in the Netherlands for testing.

So i have the following questions:
  • has anybody experience with a wheelchair in a McLaren?
  • is there anybody in Belgium or the Netherlands who has a 570GT, so we can try this out?
All help or advice is appreciated!

Jos

Did you look into the new McLaren GT ? the trunk is much bigger than the 570GT one

·
Registered
761 Posts
Did you look into the new McLaren GT ? the trunk is much bigger than the 570GT one
The new GT is way above budget, and the frunk is also to small (I was allowed to try this in a brand new car in the showroom, thanks guys!).
op wrote this...

·
Registered
905 Posts
Have you thought about a custom bubble on the bonnet? I hope that you can find a solution.

·
Registered
101 Posts
While it's not a very elegant solution, a small rack attached to the rear could be fabricated to carry the wheelchair.

·
Registered
593 Posts
anything is possible

·
Owner
578 Posts
Good for you for forging ahead. I understand and sympathize with your challenge. Depending how flat your chair folds, the rear of the 570GT may work. There is also a company in the UK that does custom, carbon fiber wheelchairs that could probably make something that will work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the feedback.

There don't seem to be many wheelchair drivers on the forum :). The distributor/dealer in the Netherlands never had a request for a McLaren from somebody in a wheelchair.
Anyway, somebody has to be the first.

The chair has to go in the car. Outside rack or whatever is not an option.
First aesthetically and secondly my chair gets wet when outside.
And I really don't want a rack on a car what can do over 300 km/h.

About a bubble in the hood: I want to keep the car as stock as possible. Only hand controlled brake, and that's something what easily can be installed and removed without leaving traces.

Another chair is no option, and you can't reduce the size (and the height) of the wheels. 24" is the absolute minimum.
This means a wheel height of give or take 600 mm with tires (currently a little less, since they are pretty worn out).
The hub of the wheel is 60 mm wide, and the outside width including the grips is a little less, about 58 mm. Two wheels against or on top of each eater = 120 mm.
The frame measures folded just 22 x 38 x 67 cm. And that's no problem. It even fits in the overhead storage of an airplane.

As already mentioned and tested: everything fits in the frunk, but the wheels are just to a few cm's to high to get the lid closed.
Is lowering the bottom of the front trunk by 30-40 mm an option? That's of course a lot for a car with a ground clearance of 93 mm.

And this chair also fits in my motorcycle. It's really an ultra compact made to measure wheelchair.

I have no idea what's possible in the rear trunk, and indeed, the new GT is financially out of the question.
It wouldn't be any value though, since the frunk of the new GT is not much bigger and I still have to transport the chair in the car when driving alone.
I can't stand on my legs to put the chair in the rear trunk either. That's only an option when I take a passenger along.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback.

There don't seem to be many wheelchair drivers on the forum :). The distributor/dealer in the Netherlands never had a request for a McLaren from somebody in a wheelchair.
Anyway, somebody has to be the first.

The chair has to go in the car. Outside rack or whatever is not an option.
First aesthetically and secondly my chair gets wet when outside.
And I really don't want a rack on a car what can do over 300 km/h.

About a bubble in the hood: I want to keep the car as stock as possible. Only hand controlled brake, and that's something what easily can be installed and removed without leaving traces.

Another chair is no option, and you can't reduce the size (and the height) of the wheels. 24" is the absolute minimum.
This means a wheel height of give or take 600 mm with tires (currently a little less, since they are pretty worn out).
The hub of the wheel is 60 mm wide, and the outside width including the grips is a little less, about 58 mm. Two wheels against or on top of each eater = 120 mm.
The frame measures folded just 22 x 38 x 67 cm. And that's no problem. It even fits in the overhead storage of an airplane.

As already mentioned and tested: everything fits in the frunk, but the wheels are just to a few cm's to high to get the lid closed.
Is lowering the bottom of the front trunk by 30-40 mm an option? That's of course a lot for a car with a ground clearance of 93 mm.

And this chair also fits in my motorcycle. It's really an ultra compact made to measure wheelchair.

I have no idea what's possible in the rear trunk, and indeed, the new GT is financially out of the question.
It wouldn't be any value though, since the frunk of the new GT is not much bigger and I still have to transport the chair in the car when driving alone.
I can't stand on my legs to put the chair in the rear trunk either. That's only an option when I take a passenger along.

maybe an odd idea - but if you don't mind the wheelchair on the co drivers seat - meaning your wife would not drive with you anyway, why not think about taking the seat out completely - that space would be much more right?

Reactions: rnixon

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
two other things I also found online:

Maybe these would be an option to still enjoy the car:

foldable wheels:

or one of these:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have done some more research.
I should be able to fit 22" wheels to my wheelchair, according to the manufacturer in Germany.
Got the exact sizes of the frunk from McLaren. All frunks of the sports series are the same.

Can somebody give me the length of the red line in the drawing, since I currently don't have access to a car to measure this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Buy a second bonnet and have it modified - easily reversible. IMO, this is the best option, but I'm biased. Good luck with finding something that works for you - the more people that can experience these cars, the better.

I don't know the structure there, but I doubt it, and it would probably be more involved than having another bonnet panel made / modified.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I don't know the structure there, but I doubt it, and it would probably be more involved than having another bonnet panel made / modified.
Also contacted McLaren directly for the bottom question. Not possible, the bottom of the frunk sits just above the bottom of the car.

Before going the route of modifying the bonnet, I first want to check out the 22" wheels option.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Received a set of 22" wheels today from my wheelchair manufacturer for testing purposes.
Wheels are 55 cm. Will be a tight fit, since the height is only 54 cm. I hope there is another cm in the bonnet.

Have an option an a 2016 with about 21.000 km.
Going to check it out next Friday and see if my chair and the wheels fit in the frunk.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Received a set of 22" wheels today from my wheelchair manufacturer for testing purposes.
Wheels are 55 cm. Will be a tight fit, since the height is only 54 cm. I hope there is another cm in the bonnet.

Have an option an a 2016 with about 21.000 km.
Going to check it out next Friday and see if my chair and the wheels fit in the frunk.
I'm crossing my fingers for you! Report back on Friday!

Reactions: rnixon

·
Registered
95 Posts
I recently had to disconnect my battery in my 12C. It looks like there's about an inch between the bottom of the frunk and the bottom of the car. Considering how close you are, it seems that may be enough to get that final clearance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The good news is: the chair fits in the frunk with 22" wheels, so that's already out of the way.
The bad news is: the car has an oil leak somewhere upfront.

The seller is an independent garage, no experience with McLaren whatsoever. They had the opportunity to buy the car at at good price and put it on offer at a good price. Service history was available.

But they clearly did not check out the car.
Asked them to put it on a garage lift, and discovered an oil leak at the front right shock absorber.
It's unclear if this is related to the shock absorber or the nose lift or something else.
Not covered by factory warranty anymore (car is from June 2016) and car has no extended warranty.
Couldn't drive the car to feel if it had any handling issues, since I need a brake modification due to my physical limitation.
Gearbox cover was still in place, so I couldn't check for leaks there. On the bottom at the back, everything looked dry. But hard to say with all the covers still in place.

Right window constantly opened fully when you opened the passenger door. Hard to say hardware or software problem.

And the car is also wrapped in dark green foil (original color Ice Silver), not something I like. You can of course always remove the wrap, but I don't know the risks for the paint when you do this. Add also the cost of a professional paint detailing when the wrap is removed.

The original silver wheels are painted black and the brake calipers painted red (original color Silver). No idea why they did that. If you want red calipers, buy a Porsche :).

Interior color Saddle Tan. Not only the seats, but really everything: the dash, the touring deck, the headliner and even the steering wheel. I like Saddle Tan as color, but the dash and steering wheel were a little to much IMO.

Interior space is tight for me. I'm 193 cm with long legs, and I don't have enough support under my thighs with the seat in the lowest most backward position. You can't change the seating angle of the drivers seat like in my Porsche, just higher or lower.
And I didn't have enough side support either in the seat. I drove along as passenger, and in fast corners, I just slid to much to my liking in the passenger seat. Leather seats: much more slippery then alcantara (which I prefer over leather by the way). No issues with this in the Porsche (alcantara 18 way seats with excellent adjustable side support), whatever speed you are cornering.

The car is addictively fast and I suppose it handles very well, and I really like the looks.
But with this car, I hesitate very much to buy it.
To much compromises for me, the oil leak has to be repaired and the car needs yearly maintenance. So the bill could go up quickly, despite the low price.

I spent quite some time today to get practical stuff sorted out (the guys over there were really helpful, that was not an issue).
And I need to think if I want to make the compromises I discovered today. Some are more an issue then others, but I often drive my fun car for many hours, and a good seating position is very important and an essential issue for me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts