McLaren Life banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving in the rain the other day I noticed my coolant temp rising rapidly. Then my oil temp and then my gear temp light came on. The car went in limp mode, and after I shut it down for awhile it started up and got it home.

I have a hard time believing that everything is wrong. The CEL came on and there was like 11 different codes. Mostly misfire codes and a oil sensor code.

Has anyone had this issue before ? Anything you did to fix it? I’ve unplugged the battery, let it sit, but still the same. It’s a 2016. Thank you for info!

·
Registered
57 Posts
When your coolant temp climbs the rest of the fluid temps like oil and trans will climb as well. Quite possibly a legit issue with your cooling system causing all issues. It would have been good to use an infrared thermometer to measure the coolant temp at your hoses to know whether you are indeed overheating. May have to run the engine up to temp again to check if nothing is obvious during a visual check.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When your coolant temp climbs the rest of the fluid temps like oil and trans will climb as well. Quite possibly a legit issue with your cooling system causing all issues. It would have been good to use an infrared thermometer to measure the coolant temp at your hoses to know whether you are indeed overheating. May have to run the engine up to temp again to check if nothing is obvious during a visual check.

Ah, I did not know that. Thank you for the information. I can’t even find where to check if the coolant level is low lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Odd that the temp would start rising rapidly, causing misfires, and the gear oil went up too?? Yes, if your coolant temp is high, your oil temp might be high too, but gear temp while driving normally shouldn’t be affected. Did the engine sound weird at all, any weird noise or vibrations, could you hear the cooling fans running (they usually keep going after you shut off the engine too)?

Did you write down all the codes? When you say “oil sensor” code - is that the temp sensor? Or oil level sensor? What were the codes saying? High coolant temp doesn’t trigger a code (happens when driving hard on the track, for example). Codes are generated with problems so would be nice to see all the issues.

Could definitely be electrical though - possibly a grounding issue or something. Since it’s a 570, isn’t it under warranty? If so, I’d take it in - the MDS (McLaren Diagnostic System) can see codes that OBD2 can’t, and can also force-run tests all over the engine and transmission, measuring sensor output for expected behavior, etc.

Thanks!

Z.

·
Spec 570 Spider soon
359 Posts
See OM 5.6

I'm not even an owner yet, just a lurker keeping copious notes. Open service cover. Slowly open left cap, labeled "WATER" (half-turn ccw) to vent any built-up pressure. Fully unscrew cap. Coolant level should be between upper & lower stops.

Capacity is 6.2 gal. Refill with 3.5gal coolant/af to 2.7gal water (a solution that is, then, 56.45% coolant...). Please confirm for yourself, but a fellow forum member posted to use Valvoline Zerex G48, which should be pink in color.

Again, confirm all this for safety.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I have figured out there is a leak at the front passenger side that is coolant. Still weird that all these other codes would pop up , but I guess that explains why my coolant temp went up. Anyone have experience with this? Simple fix or worth going to dealer? Car is just out of warranty. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
You or any competent mechanic can repair a coolant leak. Nothing proprietary there. Just make sure to use the correct fluid for fill.

Yes the leak will certainly cause high coolant temps then raise your other fluid temps. A cooling system that is low means there is also air in the system. An engine will quickly overheat in these conditions. A repair, fill, bleed, top off, and drive to confirm all repairs is all you will need.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
EatSleepBoost
McLaren Life
McLaren Life is the best McLaren forum to discuss reliability, problems & more for supercar models like the F1, P1, 570, 650, 12C, and 720S!
Full Forum Listing