McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this wont help any with selling my car that’s listed right now - lol - but let me be clear - this is one of the best cars I’ve ever owned. Only selling to upgrade to another Mac at some point down the line.
Also, for #1, I forgot about the shortcut but still takes way too long for the up and down. Enjoy!

·
Registered
751 Posts
I assume that the speed of lift is a trade off between weight and speed. For me, none of your issues are more than annoyances. Depreciation and running costs have been fairly clear for a while. My IRIS2's screen is quite sensitive. I'm glad that you can still enjoy the car enough to buy another McLaren.

·
Registered
289 Posts
#2, you can change to only open the drivers door instead of both in the cluster. I also believe that long pressing the open button only opens the passengers door but I have not tried myself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How ironic.. I JUST looked at your video last night. As a lurker and potential owner in the future good feedback.

Cheers,

PS: Nice ACR in the barn. I have a Gen 2

·
Registered
38 Posts
While I appreciate the time it takes someone to share their experience, I have to admit the first two annoyances are a bit disappointing.

#1 there is the shortcut as you've mentioned, and it's super easy to remember and perform. Missing that when you're making a video to profess to the world why the car is annoying seems counterintuitive. It's a two step operation versus a single button, but aside from the occasional entryway delay, it's not a difficult function. With the system they utilized, it's likely a tradeoff with something else, and while I wish it were quicker, it's just not a big drawback.

#2 - this is a feature published in the manual and available with the on screen menus. If you click the unlock twice, the driver's door will pop. If you hold the unlock button, the passenger's door will pop. If you press the button three times and then manually go open the passenger door... you'll get what you showed in the video.

#3 - no clue why - mine is responsive though the system certainly leaves a lot to be desired. 8 year old system at this point, and I can't say my other cars of this vintage are much better. I use the Bluetooth as you mentioned, and the sound is sufficient to get me by while driving around.

#4 - Parking sensors are certainly super sensitive, but it's something you come to appreciate with the lips and overhang. The camera would've been number 1 for me - that thing is awful. Terrible angle and completely useless 90% of the time. I use it to make sure I don't hit a curb.

#5 - Owners making videos about issues that are actually features doesn't help. ;) Luckily I didn't buy new - but after looking at, driving, and considering similarly priced cars, it's great to get a used McLaren for the same price as a much slower exotic of another brand.

Good luck selling the car and I hope you get something fun next!

·
Registered
963 Posts
I'll assume you made the video and linked it here to promote your business.

I hate to say it but I'd like to have my 9 minutes back.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Appreciate everyone's feedback! #1 is really more focused for the TIME it takes for the lift to go up and down, not getting to the actually lift system which I poorly demonstrated. I forgot about the shortcut because I never use the lift system because it takes forever and not practical IMO.

I definitely learned something new and will also post up the comment about the door lock system. I have a habit of just hitting the key a bunch of times so never really paid attention. Most of the items pointed out are pretty petty and would never deter me away from actually buying the car. It's been an absolute dream to drive and own...another thing I forgot to mention on their is the exhaust note. I don't love the way it sounds but its not terrible.

I should have titled it "ANNOY" instead of "HATE" as hate is a very strong word, but in the YouTube world it does attract more attention which leads to more comments which then leads to more exposure.

Cheers!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You got a bad screen on your Iris. If you have warranty they will replace it for free. Known issue.
I have extended warranty and they said its fine and normal. I tried it on a buddies 12c and a buddies 650s and same kind of lag and clunkiness. Just a little annoying that's all - hate is a strong word =)

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,137 Posts
I have extended warranty and they said its fine and normal. I tried it on a buddies 12c and a buddies 650s and same kind of lag and clunkiness. Just a little annoying that's all - hate is a strong word =)
What's your dealer? That is totally incorrect. At least for IRIS 2. When I had to start to "smear" and push my finger hard for it to register, they just replaced it. Again, it's a known issue. Check the FAQs here:

• IRIS touch screen non-responsive. You find part of the screen or all of it requires smearing of your finger to register touches or won’t register at all. Requires replacement. Most common with 12C, and lesser with 650S. Seems limited to REV 1 of screen assembly HW version 11M2921CP.01, see: IRIS the Complete Story thread?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I agree. Annoy would have been a better choice of words. Words have meaning. It kind of does make you seem a little petty. I bet the people at the return counter know you well.:)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Title updated :giggle:

·
Registered
549 Posts
Simply wonderful our society, the main thing is that we are negative. Zee: Why should I watch a video about five negative things? Well, I don't give you my click for such garbage.

I guess if you go through life with such a negative attitude you will never sell your car.

Make a video about five positive convincing points, then I'm in.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lighten up guys! He's just trying to make conversation with his video. If you don't like what you are seeing, quit watching and move on. Problem solved!
haha thanks Wolf! Always fascinating when I make videos like this and the controversy it brings. I did one on my Viper before and that caused a big stir up as well.

Again, I love this car and it’s one of the best cars I’ve ever owned. I’m simply pointing out some things that I hate/annoy about it.

Simply wonderful our society, the main thing is that we are negative. Zee: Why should I watch a video about five negative things? Well, I don't give you my click for such garbage.

I guess if you go through life with such a negative attitude you will never sell your car.

Make a video about five positive convincing points, then I'm in.
5 things that I love is coming soon! I always do 5 things I hate and that I love. Crazy thing is the hate videos get way more views - our society seems to love watching the “negative” crap ;)

·
Registered
751 Posts
5 things that I love is coming soon! I always do 5 things I hate and that I love. Crazy thing is the hate videos get way more views - our society seems to love watching the “negative” crap ;)
As an Engineer, I concentrate on what is wrong (i.e. needs fixing), rather that what's right (i.e. done). As a driver, I concentrate on what I enjoy.

·
Registered
289 Posts
The hope is that your next videos carry more value and less click bait-ness, if you're going to complain then come up with some valid points otherwise you're just trolling people for views.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The hope is that your next videos carry more value and less click bait-ness, if you're going to complain then come up with some valid points otherwise you're just trolling people for views.
whoa - come on now...click bait?? I made valid points on what annoys me about the car. If you don’t agree with them that’s one thing, but to say I’m trolling? Give me a break. The lift system is pretty crappy compared to other cars I’ve owned, the infotainment system is sub par with the back up camera being terrible, parking sensors too sensitive, and depreciation/cost of ownership as we all know is pretty bad. How are those not “valid” points???

·
Registered
549 Posts
Unfortunately it is so and this says a lot about the quality and usefulness of these media. But you don't have to support this crap anymore, it's up to you. Or do you really love the clicks more than your car?

And somehow funny, I never actually do what I hate, life is too short for that. But now we're getting philosophical... ;)

Howsoever, I'm looking forward to the fife positive things!

·
Registered
3 Posts
@zee ... as a non-owner who's doing homework before making the move, I actually appreciate the feedback. I looking to know as much as possible about the cars features, quirks and actual owner experience on all levels before going into a purchase. There's tons of videos out there on the "GOOD" that will mention some of the "BAD" in the same video. There are very very few videos describing the "UGLY". (See where I went with that? LOL)

All cars have them....The GOOD, the BAD and the UGLY some more than others and it's a matter of what one is willing to deal with. Not many are willing to focus on the not so good or minor annoyances...so to speak.

However.....you probably already know, you're not by yourself with making a "BAD" video ;)

Cheers

1 - 20 of 33 Posts