McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought people might enjoy . Normal HPDE day with SpeedSF . I’d say I’d 3 are the fastest 720s owners who consistently track at laguna seca

Only modifications are tires/brakes
Camera car ; Goodyear f1 supercar 3r (3rd track day on the tires) giro discs, papaya spark -corsas (first track day on the tires) , oem brakes , black car (myself) - Nankang ar-1 tires (3rd track day on the tires) , giro discs

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did not seem like much of a fight
thsts as close to a dog fight you’re going to get with amateurs at hpde events . Lol

Last time I used the caption “boring track video “ and people said it wasn’t boring at all . Therefore, I gave more of a Spicey caption .

a lot of track incidents (crashes , mechanical failures the last 3 weeks on track). Flat bed went out 11 times at a 3 day track week-end a couple of weeks ago at laguna seca

·
Registered
73 Posts
hey Unmac how do u like the Nankang's? I just got them for my BAC mono, just waiting to burn thru the rest of the rubber on my set that is on the car before putting them on. On the 720 I have the 3rs which are nice, but wish they 3r were a bit wider upfront

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey Unmac how do u like the Nankang's? I just got them for my BAC mono, just waiting to burn thru the rest of the rubber on my set that is on the car before putting them on. On the 720 I have the 3rs which are nice, but wish they 3r were a bit wider upfront
I like the Nankang AR-1. I was one of the early adopters of the goodyear f1 supercar 3r tires. Just about everyone in my area is using the supercar 3 r tires. I needed to get new tires and the Nankang's were available at the time (locally) and thought I'd try them out (I did it as per apex ring taxi suggestion also (goodyear 3r tires aren't available in Europe or Asia). I didn't find much difference between the two. They both have better grip then the corsas (2 seconds faster at Laguna Seca) and are much more cost effective.

I also tried them on the 600 LT but I didn'tke the nankangs on 600 LT. the goodyear 3r tires are better on 600 LT.

Note: the nankang and goodyear 3r are both 235 on the front vs. the 245 oem corsas.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I like the Nankang AR-1. I was one of the early adopters of the goodyear f1 supercar 3r tires. Just about everyone in my area is using the supercar 3 r tires. I needed to get new tires and the Nankang's were available at the time (locally) and thought I'd try them out (I did it as per apex ring taxi suggestion also (goodyear 3r tires aren't available in Europe or Asia). I didn't find much difference between the two. They both have better grip then the corsas (2 seconds faster at Laguna Seca) and are much more cost effective.

I also tried them on the 600 LT but I didn'tke the nankangs on 600 LT. the goodyear 3r tires are better on 600 LT.

Note: the nankang and goodyear 3r are both 235 on the front vs. the 245 oem corsas.
interesting....TY

·
Registered
244 Posts
awesome video. liked the full tilt acceleration. so corsas are better than goodyear or nankangs? would trofeos be better?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
awesome video. liked the full tilt acceleration. so corsas are better than goodyear or nankangs? would trofeos be better?

I went from regularly tracking a 675 with trofeos to regularly tracking a 720s with corsas. I had no complaints with the corsas. It was much better then the previous generation corsas. I went through a few set and wasn't looking to change tires (upto this point, I had always used OEM tires on every car).

One year into ownership/tracking, I wanted to mix it up a bit and contemplated changing to Trofeo's. I wondered out loud on my instagram stories (I have a lot of Mclaren owners, exotic car owners, general enthusiasts, dealer employees, mclaren employees who follow me on that social media).

One of the 720s owners who owns a lot of cars and is an A+ racer in many cars messaged me and said "hard stop' with the thought of the trofeos and that the corsas are better (He had already tried the trofeos),
The engineer who engineered 720s told me to do a hard stop and said that the trofeos hadn't been developed for the 720s yet and it would mess with the ESC of the car.

I showed the above messages on my instagram stories and at that particular time, the trofeos had actually been developed/released for the 720s (unknown to the main engineer (he had moved on to other projects). However, the cost for the trofeos was $2,300 vs. $1,900 corsas. I was about to try them out and I met up with another very track focused 720s owner. He owns a collision/track support shop in Los Angeles. He tries out all types of tires on various cars (720s/12c/488/pista/675,gt3, etc.). He is extremely fast with the 720s.

He tried out the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3R tires and was two seconds faster at Buttonwillow (he is one second off the street track record). He told me, I tried them out, I posted a personal best, I told others and all of a sudden all the track focused 720s/600lt/675 owners switched over to the Goodyear 3r tires. Eventually, these tires made their way onto gt3rs, corvettes, etc.

They grip very well and the bonus part is that they are $1,300 per set vs. $1,900 corsas, vs. $2,300 trofeos. The Nankang Ar-1 (which in my opinion is just as good as the goodyear 3r are $1,400 per set. Most of the owners don’t care much about the cost but the regular guys who track do care to keep the consumables reasonable and this cost difference is a big thing for everyone.

There is much discussion on these forums when people ask which tire is the best tire (usually people asking are trying to plug a certain tire and using the opportunity to plug that tire. It is then followed by people who are plugging a different tire . Usually, this is Toyo vs. Michelin.

The silent observers send me private messages asking me about the 3R (I sort of proved my metal with these videos and just about everyone else I track with, has started to use them). Drown out the noise on these forums by these people.

·
Owner
495 Posts
I love tracking my 570S, and how I can run away from most anything. The 720 has to be on another level. I am currently on Corsas and am thinking about Trofeos, but maybe the Goodyears are worth a shot. Where do you get them?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Goodyear SC3R is available in 245 for the front ==> https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+F1+Supercar+3R&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=435YR9F1S3RXL&tab=Specs

Also note that AR1 is molded to 7/32" tread depth while SC3R is 5. Likely a little more usable life in the AR1, though compound-dependent, for sure.

My biggest beef with the Corsa is the tendency to burn off the outer shoulder first, despite running lots of camber. Sidewalls are too soft for the grip level of the compound. Likely that way so as not to make the ride quality too harsh for OE fitment (most people don't track their supercars).

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Goodyear SC3R is available in 245 for the front ==> https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+F1+Supercar+3R&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=435YR9F1S3RXL&tab=Specs

Also note that AR1 is molded to 7/32" tread depth while SC3R is 5. Likely a little more usable life in the AR1, though compound-dependent, for sure.

My biggest beef with the Corsa is the tendency to burn off the outer shoulder first, despite running lots of camber. Sidewalls are too soft for the grip level of the compound. Likely that way so as not to make the ride quality too harsh for OE fitment (most people don't track their supercars).
Thanks for that (245 mm) on the 3r tires. I haven't ordered ones in a few months. Will definitely get the 245 mm going forward for the 720s.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I love tracking my 570S, and how I can run away from most anything. The 720 has to be on another level. I am currently on Corsas and am thinking about Trofeos, but maybe the Goodyears are worth a shot. Where do you get them?
You can order them from tirerack directly or from anyone who has a wholesale deal with tirerack.

I like to tell everyone that 720s/pista are the only two cars below hypercar where you don't need anyones cooperation to pass (tracks near me). If you can't pass them then it is on you. (fwiw; @garysf is on these forums and is very quick with a 570 and wouldn't give it up so easily.)

There are certain challenges with HPDE. You never really know if you are going to be able to set a fast lap (traffic, etc.). Therefore, you don't always bring new tires to the track everytime.

However, if we were doing time trials with prize money and were guaranteed to do unrestricted laps without any interference with other cars and it was worth it to have new tires (even if the existing ones on the car still had good tread/grip), then I'd still use goodyear supercar 3r tires. The only difference in this scenario is that I'd probably go back to the lighter OEM rotors/pads and suck up the cost for an event like this. (note; only an issue with 600 LT/720s brakes).

·
Registered
244 Posts

Maybe under inflated tires?

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
You can order them from tirerack directly or from anyone who has a wholesale deal with tirerack.

I like to tell everyone that 720s/pista are the only two cars below hypercar where you don't need anyones cooperation to pass (tracks near me). If you can't pass them then it is on you. (fwiw; @garysf is on these forums and is very quick with a 570 and wouldn't give it up so easily.)

There are certain challenges with HPDE. You never really know if you are going to be able to set a fast lap (traffic, etc.). Therefore, you don't always bring new tires to the track everytime.

However, if we were doing time trials with prize money and were guaranteed to do unrestricted laps without any interference with other cars and it was worth it to have new tires (even if the existing ones on the car still had good tread/grip), then I'd still use goodyear supercar 3r tires. The only difference in this scenario is that I'd probably go back to the lighter OEM rotors/pads and suck up the cost for an event like this. (note; only an issue with 600 LT/720s brakes).
I wonder if there are any 60 tread wear tires in McLaren sizes

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You can only compare the tread wear by manufacture. All research says that the treadwear rating is not comparable between tires of different manufactures. (ie; 100 treadwear of pirelli is not the same as michelin).

·
Registered
486 Posts
Trofeo R are 60tw.

But like Unmac says, it doesn't really matter. The best indicators are empirical testing within a "class" of tire. In this case, TireRack calls all of these Streetable Track Day Tires.

Short of Hoosiers (Competition only, Not for Highway Use), there is nothing faster than SC3R, AR1 and Trofeo R in a DOT-approved tire. Nor does anything wear as quickly. :)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Trofeo R are 60tw.

But like Unmac says, it doesn't really matter. The best indicators are empirical testing within a "class" of tire. In this case, TireRack calls all of these Streetable Track Day Tires.

Short of Hoosiers (Competition only, Not for Highway Use), there is nothing faster than SC3R, AR1 and Trofeo R in a DOT-approved tire. Nor does anything wear as quickly. :)
I can definitely vouch for the cup2r tires . My very fast amateur friend in a .2gt3rs went 2 seconds faster then motortrend .1gt3rs test at Laguna Seca. His optimal time was 3 second faster (Into P1 territory).

He was 3 seconds faster then his dunlop and cup2 tire time...

Problem for him is that they are $3,200 for a set and dropped off a cliff after 3 sessions... Me being the smart guy, I didn't line up in front of him until the end of day and he couldn't get around me and my 1:35 Lap time (he was doing 1:30-1:31 in first two sessions and became much slower by the end of day).

He's never spent the big money on those tires again after that day.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Nope. They were 32 hot in the front and 34-36 hot in the rear. I've only ever run those at COTA, though, which has a couple of long-duration, hi-load corners (T2 and T16/17/18 carousel).
It should be measured cold. If it’s hot at 32 and 34, then it’s probably 27 and 28 respectively cold temp. 1 psi increase per 8-10 degree increase in temperature is normal for the tire. Measured hot is incorrect.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts