McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else had the 2nd year service done with the hydraulic suspension fluid changed? Just wondering - is it just me or is the car considerably firmer and it's more a case of my tyres being shot that really need changing soon or has new fluid/software update actually changed anything..?

P.S Andy, you are the only other really early vin that I know of so all up to you probably! ;)

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Anyone else had the 2nd year service done with the hydraulic suspension fluid changed? Just wondering - is it just me or is the car considerably firmer and it's more a case of my tyres being shot that really need changing soon or has new fluid/software update actually changed anything..?

P.S Andy, you are the only other really early vin that I know of so all up to you probably! ;)
I didn't notice,but it stands to reason,don't forget us older guys tend to start loosing some form of perspective.All I can say is I use it everyday,but when its been away for a week i'm still shocked at the performance when I get in her again !!
Sorry that's not a lot of help !!!

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hm ok thanks for that martin/andy. Perhaps just me then with worn + cold tyres not helping. Will see how it goes when I change tyres in about a month's time....

·
Registered
824 Posts
Mine is at the dealer as we speak for the second service and so I will try and give you my thoughts when it comes back at the weekend

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
R u still on the tyres you had at Spa isv?
Yeah..same tyres...:eek: 2.5mm left all round so on their last legs.. Pretty certain i am aiming to change to corsas in a months time just in time for a trackday at silverstone though!

Zippycar -thanks, will be interested to see what you think.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Yeah..same tyres...:eek: 2.5mm left all round so on their last legs.. Pretty certain i am aiming to change to corsas in a months time just in time for a trackday at silverstone though!

Zippycar -thanks, will be interested to see what you think.
Me too :eek:

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Mine is at the dealer as we speak for the second service and so I will try and give you my thoughts when it comes back at the weekend

Zippy, let us know what the cost is . Mine is due next month and I need to know how many Banks to rob.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Whats RBS? .......Robotic Bullshit Simulator.......Reverse Before Stopping........Refire Blatt Stop.....no, cant get RBS

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
RIC,you should know us better by now.Like the co-op its a BANK :D But you were just playing the game too ;)
Got ya. There are no RBS branches down here so never robbed one!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Zippy, let us know what the cost is . Mine is due next month and I need to know how many Banks to rob.
With the IRIS upgrade, I think it will be quite eye watering :eek:

Talking of robbing banks, you may find this press clipping amusing.

I found it when researching a recent insurance claim for this bloke, who now is a taxi driver.

And he works for taxi company Getaway Cars - honestly :D

View attachment D116not1.pdf

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
With the IRIS upgrade, I think it will be quite eye watering :eek:

Talking of robbing banks, you may find this press clipping amusing.

I found it when researching a recent insurance claim for this bloke, who now is a taxi driver.

And he works for taxi company Getaway Cars - honestly :D

View attachment 13521
Quite right Zippy,far too stupid to be driving ...................

·
Registered
824 Posts
Had the car back for day and a half now and it has almost constantly been raining, so can report little on any dynamic changes to the performance and handling.

I live in speed hump city and the car isn’t grounding out as regularly, even with the front guide vanes replaced, so from this alone, ride height seems to be a little higher.

With the invoice and service sheet came a sheet called MP4-12C Coupe (Revised) (Modified Specification).

This contained all of the suspension (caster; camber, etc.) figures, although it also said “current measurements”, so not sure if this means how my car is currently set up in modified form or what is was before being modified :confused:

Not played with IRIS too much, but instant irk was her constantly telling me I was exceeding the speed limit. Very annoying when on a 70 mph dual carriageway, which drops to 30 mph at every roundabout.

Set to 30% over limit, which didn’t shut her up yesterday, although today she has gone quiet on me.

Biggest bug bear so far, which is hopefully a set up issue, is that every time I turn the car on, IRIS doesn’t default to where it left off, i.e. playing music or listening to radio and I have to select these options from the start screen.

Service cost was £2,230.80 without any extras or IRIS, which is certainly steeper than originally suggested, with labour making up £952.00; although hourly rate was not quoted.

Hopefully it will eventually dry in the UK and I can actually drive the car in anger and see how different it is dynamically. :(

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
That's a lorra dosh Zippy.

I can't get rid of the 'You are speeding, clever Dick' nonsense........need to read the 385 page manual, again, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Had the car back for day and a half now and it has almost constantly been raining, so can report little on any dynamic changes to the performance and handling.

I live in speed hump city and the car isn’t grounding out as regularly, even with the front guide vanes replaced, so from this alone, ride height seems to be a little higher.

With the invoice and service sheet came a sheet called MP4-12C Coupe (Revised) (Modified Specification).

This contained all of the suspension (caster; camber, etc.) figures, although it also said “current measurements”, so not sure if this means how my car is currently set up in modified form or what is was before being modified :confused:

Not played with IRIS too much, but instant irk was her constantly telling me I was exceeding the speed limit. Very annoying when on a 70 mph dual carriageway, which drops to 30 mph at every roundabout.

Set to 30% over limit, which didn’t shut her up yesterday, although today she has gone quiet on me.

Biggest bug bear so far, which is hopefully a set up issue, is that every time I turn the car on, IRIS doesn’t default to where it left off, i.e. playing music or listening to radio and I have to select these options from the start screen.

Service cost was £2,230.80 without any extras or IRIS, which is certainly steeper than originally suggested, with labour making up £952.00; although hourly rate was not quoted.

Hopefully it will eventually dry in the UK and I can actually drive the car in anger and see how different it is dynamically. :(
Hi... 2 comments regarding your IRIS remarks:

1) The speed limit warning comes from the nav app, so if it was not started, it will not warn. 30% over limit, in your 70mph -> 30mph example will of course still trigger it when set to 30%. You can disable it completely if you want to.

2) The fact that it does not start where you shut it off, as in, music or radio or such, is sadly a limitation to the setup of IRIS and the fact that its Android based. In essence, it is as if you turn on your phone every time, and expect it to start playing music when it was doing so when you shut it off. It will not do that either.
There are ways for McLaren to fix this though, especially since Parrot handles its own audio setup internally and thus should be able to do this. But even people using Parrot Asteroid hardware in other cars have the same "problem".

For now, only way is to hack the system, and that also is not very elegant, but it does work. It means though that when you start up IRIS, it will basically do stuff on its own in the first minute or so, which might confuse you when you actually want it to go somewhere else..

Like, if the system is in place, since it can not be done in the background (I think, but I might be wrong), it means that IRIS would start, wait 30 seconds to be sure bluetooth audio connected to your audio source, then it would automatically launch the audio app and start playing it. But this it would do regardless of what you did when you shut it off the last time...

So, it is not that simple... but, I am playing with it and it is one of my next tasks...

·
Registered
824 Posts
That's a lorra dosh Zippy.

I can't get rid of the 'You are speeding, clever Dick' nonsense........need to read the 385 page manual, again, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I wish it was 385 pages for the £24.18 they charged me for a 94 page (large text) 6 inch by 4 inch booklet.

Come on McLaren, get our marketing right, you've just charged me £2,400 for an upgrade, surely you can hide the price of an operating manual in that :confused:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts