McLaren Life banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had mentioned in the past that GIA was doing this work and advertising that they were doing this work.

However, there was one posting on these forums which caught my eye and it was someone from Southern California and they stated that the servicing dealer said that the warranty would be at risk if someone outside of a Mac dealer did the oil change, etc.

I sort of blew it off as a one off and there must be something more to the story. However, there are more comments like this on the forum now.

One of my friends in Southern California was also told the same thing (warranty issues if someone other then a Mac dealer does the oil change).

Note: Do your research carefully, ask your service advisor and make sure you understand the implications of saving a few hundred dollars in the bigger picture.

Its' different decision making if the car is out of warranty but if you are in warranty then be very careful and do your due diligence.
False information. So long as you provide receipts for service work completed from the shop you use, warranty will remain intact if you ever run into an issue.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
False information. So long as you provide receipts for service work completed from the shop you use, warranty will remain intact if you ever run into an issue.
sigh ...

·
Registered
160 Posts
My dealer charged 8 hours of labor? Does this seem excessive for an oil change?
Surely excessive. I had my oil changed last week and it took an independent shop 2 hours.

You are correct - by law, independent shop work such as this cannot void a factory warranty. Can McLaren give you a hard time about it? Sure. But they do not have the right to deny warranty coverage if the independent shop performed the work correctly.

Source: FTC: Auto Warranties & Routine Maintenance

Reactions: rnixon

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Surely excessive. I had my oil changed last week and it took an independent shop 2 hours.

You are correct - by law, independent shop work such as this cannot void a factory warranty. Can McLaren give you a hard time about it? Sure. But they do not have the right to deny warranty coverage if the independent shop performed the work correctly.

Source: FTC: Auto Warranties & Routine Maintenance
Is there anything I can do? Complain to mclaren corporate for these practices by the dealers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
Is there anything I can do? Complain to mclaren corporate for these practices by the dealers?
I would notify them, but be prepared to be let down. At the very minimum, your message will acknowledge the market's perception of their service practices, and if I were in McLaren's shoes, that would be actionable information.

Keep in mind it's common for dealers and indy shops to charge for the job as pre-scribed by a manual/handbook, regardless of actual time invested.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I would notify them, but be prepared to be let down. At the very minimum, your message will acknowledge the market's perception of their service practices, and if I were in McLaren's shoes, that would be actionable information.

Keep in mind it's common for dealers and indy shops to charge for the job as pre-scribed by a manual/handbook, regardless of actual time invested.
Who sets this manual? Mclaren or the dealers themselves?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Who sets this manual? Mclaren or the dealers themselves?

In the UK our times are called ICME times and are set by the manufacturer, main dealers have to follow these times. However independents can charge there own times but it would be frowned upon. If customers don't know the times then no one questions it.

·
Owner
526 Posts
$2K for basically an oil change and some checks is absurd. I've done oil changes on both sport and super series cars...... it takes a couple of hours and the parts are cheap. Filter...$20, plugs, 'O' rings and washers.... $50, oil.....$60. The cabin filter is $130 and takes 45 mins.

These cars are VERY easy to work on.

Nobody minds paying for work, but most mind being taken advantage of.

·
Registered
46 Posts
$2K for basically an oil change and some checks is absurd. I've done oil changes on both sport and super series cars...... it takes a couple of hours and the parts are cheap. Filter...$20, plugs, 'O' rings and washers.... $50, oil.....$60. The cabin filter is $130 and takes 45 mins.

These cars are VERY easy to work on.

Nobody minds paying for work, but most mind being taken advantage of.

Your last statment sums on my sentiments from the beginning. I'm guessing your dealer said you will not have any warranty issues?

41 - 54 of 54 Posts