McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not much to report other than I am even more in love than the day I picked her up. Taking the long way home from work every night. :)

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Actually no it's a small fee. But it's a company-wide service (i.e. all of their brands) not a McLaren thing.
I forgot where you live Ramon,your winters are a tad colder than ours,so it will be common place to swap,is it compulsory like switzerland?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Not much to report other than I am even more in love than the day I picked her up. Taking the long way home from work every night. :)
Just curious, you had said a while back that you would inquire if your dealer could possibly change the induction sound from sport to normal and track to sport. Were they able to do that for you, or did you have the induction plumbing removed?

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just curious, you had said a while back that you would inquire if your dealer could possibly change the induction sound from sport to normal and track to sport. Were they able to do that for you, or did you have the induction plumbing removed?
I haven't actually asked them, yet. I'm waffling; some days the sound annoys me, some days I like it. Can't figure out why, exactly. I think it would be a great opportunity for a tuner or aftermarket supplier to figure out how to change it to something more consistently pleasing.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
First of all - Congratulations on driving the car!! It makes no sense not to enjoy such a wonderful work of automotive engineering.

Any issues with the car?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I haven't actually asked them, yet. I'm waffling; some days the sound annoys me, some days I like it. Can't figure out why, exactly. I think it would be a great opportunity for a tuner or aftermarket supplier to figure out how to change it to something more consistently pleasing.
I found the interior sound in T/T mode a little to Boomy for me at certain RPM's. I was told it was as simple as removing a hose or two, which is reassuring as i so preferred the drive and response in the track modes but could see how the sound could get annoying. Funnily enough with the windows open it was fine. If i choose to order one instead of looking for a "trade-in" somewhere i might ask if MSO can remove it or modify it.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Curious as I have just returned from a 1500 mile trip and have similar reactions but will have the pipe disconnected to hear it au natural. Always can be reversed but my suspicion is it will stay disconnected.

Woking are working on a software fix that will allow the owner to on/off.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
First of all - Congratulations on driving the car!! It makes no sense not to enjoy such a wonderful work of automotive engineering.

Any issues with the car?
Thanks, Ritesh. No outstanding issues with my car - in the first week I had a couple of error msgs that cleared themselves and it has been smooth sailing otherwise.

My biggest issue with the car is that it is always on my mind - always day dreaming about the next drive. The wife getting annoyed by my head in the clouds, although secretly she must be happy it's a car I'm thinking about! :)

Yep, I'm hooked. Already told my dealer that I'll be buying more McLaren cars. Not much of a poker face, then! :eek:

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Funnily enough with the windows open it was fine.
I think you nailed it, rondel - when the windows are open, that is usually when I actually like the extra induction sound. I thought maybe that was just because the overall noise level was higher with glass down. But your post has made me realize that it is probably because the extra venting of air actually changes the sound pressure waves so that they do not affect the inner ear the same way. Maybe somebody that actually knows what they are talking about can verify that theory?

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Curious as I have just returned from a 1500 mile trip and have similar reactions but will have the pipe disconnected to hear it au natural. Always can be reversed but my suspicion is it will stay disconnected.

Woking are working on a software fix that will allow the owner to on/off.
That would make me very happy, although I am positive that Harry Metcalf will write an article claiming the on/off feature was his idea too.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I think you nailed it, rondel - when the windows are open, that is usually when I actually like the extra induction sound. I thought maybe that was just because the overall noise level was higher with glass down. But your post has made me realize that it is probably because the extra venting of air actually changes the sound pressure waves so that they do not affect the inner ear the same way. Maybe somebody that actually knows what they are talking about can verify that theory?
They are piping sound waves in from a pressurized intake system. I know that there are baffles etc but it still has to have an effect on the pressure in the cabin. Opening the windows would relieve that pressure.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts