McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm going to have the car detailed and brought up to snuff soon. I've been hearing, from some McLaren owners specifically, that 22ple is 'teh amazing.'

I asked my detailer about it and he didn't seem too keen on the stuff, going as far to say that it something for detailers to push since it's easy to apply and for which they can mark up a lot and still get someone to pay for. He said he'd never put it on his car. I don't know if he meant due to it's overrated looks or overrated/unproven durability, but he said that if I wanted something more permanent he'd go with Opticoat. It's something that has been proven and used extensively.

Now, my concern is not so much protection as it is looks. I'm only around to drive the car a couple months/year anyway, so I just want something that I really like to look at. I heard 22ple looked amazing, thus my interest in it.

Thoughts?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I don't know enough. Is this kind of thing needed with xpel over the car? It seems like you do one detail, wrap it in xpel, and then hose it off from time to time?

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
22ple is great. Will last 2 years. If Todd Cooperider likes and uses it I would listen.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
22ple is great. Will last 2 years. If Todd Cooperider likes and uses it I would listen.
True, but he's also the US distributor for it. His work looks top notch, but I've seen cars that looked amazing long before 22ple was available, so I wonder if it's worth going out of the way to use or not. I mean, I'm sure Todd was turning out amazing looking cars regardless of if they had 22ple or not.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
True, but he's also the US distributor for it. His work looks top notch, but I've seen cars that looked amazing long before 22ple was available, so I wonder if it's worth going out of the way to use or not. I mean, I'm sure Todd was turning out amazing looking cars regardless of if they had 22ple or not.
Yes he is the distributor, but he tests tons of products, if he would not use it if he didn't respect it's capabilities.

Other option, add Blackfire Wet Diamond, then your favorite wax.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Mark told me about 22ple too...I asked my detailer about it..he recommended Opticoat over 22ple so I went with that. I wanted something more permanent I guess. I'm told that it won't shine as well as 22ple but after seeing the finished result, I'm definitely satisfied!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Mark told me about 22ple too...I asked my detailer about it..he recommended Opticoat over 22ple so I went with that. I wanted something more permanent I guess. I'm told that it won't shine as well as 22ple but after seeing the finished result, I'm definitely satisfied!
I just don't believe in a "permanent" coating. Skuffs and scratches always occur, even if you are careful, so you end up having to get a car re-polished every couple of years anyway.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I just don't believe in a "permanent" coating. Skuffs and scratches always occur, even if you are careful, so you end up having to get a car re-polished every couple of years anyway.
Agreed. I had my detailer polish my Scud and follow with 22ple. He was trained by Todd in applying it, and I'd highly recommend it!

·
Registered
631 Posts
You'd be surprised how durable it is..I've had the nanocoating on my Turbo for almost 7 years now and it still looks good.

Here is my Turbo when it was first applied

And almost 7 years later...even she thought it looked good. :)

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Hey did you notice there was a car in that picture? Cool optical illusion. You don't see it at all at first. Some kind of high tech stealth tech there. :)

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Any you guys feel it did offer a superior look than what you've had on your car, durability aside?
A Car's looks are only as good as how the Owner maintains the car. If you understand how to properly wash a car, it will remain looking great. If you are one of those that drives a clean car to a car show, then takes micro fiber towels and detail spray, and dusts off your car in the sun, well .............

Have seen numerous Ferrari owners do this, I laugh inside my mind uncontrolably! ;)

I have finally gotten over my "it's got to be 100% perfect always", it never will be. An older 458 Spider owner was commenting to me about a guy that got his black 360 coupe professionally polished, so I walked over to the car with him, and the hood was swirled up really bad. I pointed this out to the 458 owner. Most people don't see this kind of damage. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Any you guys feel it did offer a superior look than what you've had on your car, durability aside?
Don't over think it :)

I had my Ferrari 612 and 16M done twice - the 22ple is now on the 16M and the Mclaren.

It's the installer and care taker that matters most!

Since I wash my own cars and I am anal not as much is Mark but very close - the fact we both went with 22ple should speak volumes.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Yeah, I figure 99% of the look comes down to the person detailing the car and doing the polishing. I'm sure I'd be just as happy with even just wax or sealant, but figured what the hell, I'll try for something a bit more fancy.
ooooh - you want to go fancy? ... then get that accessory in yellow like Atomic :)

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts