McLaren Life banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at 2020 and 2021 720 S and noticed that the 2021 models include certain options that you had to pay extra for on the 2020. Is this correct?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you have the 2021 and 2021 USA Price Book to compare ??
Just go online and go to a McLaren dealership. If they have a 2021 for sale (McL Charlotte f.e.)., pull up the window sticker. If you do this for several cars you get a decent picture. Hope this helps. Sorry for my late reply.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The effective prices for the 2021 cars is about 5% lower. Many individual options have been package for 2021. I'm finding in my shopping that cars that would list for $360-$370 as 2020 models are closer to $345-$350 on the 2021 cars. Couple that with depreciation of buying a 2020 part way through 2021 and it makes it a tough sell IMO. I'm not finding that there are big discounts despite the fact that there are a lot of 2020 cars sitting on lots....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The effective prices for the 2021 cars is about 5% lower. Many individual options have been package for 2021. I'm finding in my shopping that cars that would list for $360-$370 as 2020 models are closer to $345-$350 on the 2021 cars. Couple that with depreciation of buying a 2020 part way through 2021 and it makes it a tough sell IMO. I'm not finding that there are big discounts despite the fact that there are a lot of 2020 cars sitting on lots....
Exactly what I thought. That is why I started this thread. Why for heaven’s sake would one buy a 2020? Unless of course they won’t sell you one because production is focused on 765LT and Artura.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Unfortunately it hasn’t translated to the market yet. I’m only able to find about 10 percent off list on a 2020. That car will be two full model years old in a few months when the 2022 cars start to ship. Guess I hold off. Was hoping to find an aggressive deal on a 720 and upgrade.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately it hasn’t translated to the market yet. I’m only able to find about 10 percent off list on a 2020. That car will be two full model years old in a few months when the 2022 cars start to ship. Guess I hold off. Was hoping to find an aggressive deal on a 720 and upgrade.
Yes, better wait until the 2022 MY. Probably the last year for the 720 before the hybrid successor arrives.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yes, better wait until the 2022 MY. Probably the last year for the 720 before the hybrid successor arrives.
Well the other question is, when they start to road test the Artura, how close is the performance to the 720 right now for $250 grand. If they drop some press cars and we find the Artura doing 0-60 and 1/4 mile times within a few ticks of the 720, then I’m afraid you’ve got a lame duck car until the hybrid replacement comes out.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Are you only looking at new cars? What do you consider aggressive? I've seen some new cars with $50K off which is closer to 15% off.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the other question is, when they start to road test the Artura, how close is the performance to the 720 right now for $250 grand. If they drop some press cars and we find the Artura doing 0-60 and 1/4 mile times within a few ticks of the 720, then I’m afraid you’ve got a lame duck car until the hybrid replacement comes out.
Do you really believe that people are so superficial, that they base their decision on 0-60 and 1/4 mile times? Isn’t that why they sell SRT Demons and Teslas? I won’t be surprised if the Artura’s performance will be close to the 720 but you don’t have the trick suspension for comfort and you can’t buy a spider yet. I ordered an Artura for my house in Europe, but I only decided against the 720 because I saved close to $100K (due to environmental penalties on the 720, Artura has no penalty), the option to drive into certain city centers which will only be accessible with electric cars, 5 years warranty and... 3 years free service. But here in the USA I would always opt for the 720 spider. Just wait another 6 months.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Do you really believe that people are so superficial, that they base their decision on 0-60 and 1/4 mile times? Isn’t that why they sell SRT Demons and Teslas? I won’t be surprised if the Artura’s performance will be close to the 720 but you don’t have the trick suspension for comfort and you can’t buy a spider yet. I ordered an Artura for my house in Europe, but I only decided against the 720 because I saved close to $100K (due to environmental penalties on the 720, Artura has no penalty), the option to drive into certain city centers which will only be accessible with electric cars, 5 years warranty and... 3 years free service. But here in the USA I would always opt for the 720 spider. Just wait another 6 months.
I think beside the warranty/newer aspect the 720s is still the better car - MSRP wise there is reason the new Artura keeps a respectful 60-70k price difference to its big brother ...

additionally a V6TTH is hard to sell against a V8TT with 40hp more in a 100kg lighter car with more extreme styling

Reactions: Mr.Fusion

·
Registered
165 Posts
Capsfan. 15% is better than what I've been able to find. And yes, I'm looking at new cars. Even 15% off a 2020 is really 10% off a 2021...and I think you could get close to 10% off a new car in most cases at a dealer who wants your business. I'm getting offers at 9-11% off 2020 MSRP, which isn't enough to make me jump at a car that's already a year old.

Cargt, no, I don't think that people are so superficial to look at 60 and 1/4 mile times, but I think that if the Artura puts up numbers within a couple of ticks of the 720 with the new technology, IRIS and warranty, a leftover 720 is going to become a very hard sell. I know the value of a two year factory warranty on my 570, that's $7,900, just bought one. That's another 2-3% of purchase price on a 720 and I'm sure it costs more for that extension on the 720. I also think seeing Artura tests might make the 720 a harder sell, not necessarily because people will opt for the Artura over a 720, but they might. If not, they see how good the Artura does vs. 570 and naturally want to wait a year and see what the 720 replacement looks like. I know it's gone through my head. I've never had an issue with the suspension in my 570 feeling like it wasn't comfortable, so the trick suspension in some sense and in my mind, might be one more electronic thing to break. If I have one beef with my 570...it's that anything electronic seems to be prone to unusual gremlins and false warning lights. The one time I had an actual mechanical issue, there were no warning lights to be found.

I'm not saying my opinions are right....I'm just stating where I'm coming from.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think beside the warranty/newer aspect the 720s is still the better car - MSRP wise there is reason the new Artura keeps a respectful 60-70k price difference to its big brother ...

additionally a V6TTH is hard to sell against a V8TT with 40hp more in a 100kg lighter car with more extreme styling
Yes, I completely agree. Of course the 720 is better/nicer/more exotic. And if in Germany I would happily pay the difference, but France adds another 40k in eco tax on top and then the difference becomes too large for my taste. I also expect the 720 to depreciate quicker (in France) due to this eco tax and a new model coming up in 2023 or so.
Add it all up and the decision was clear for me. But perhaps I tell you in a year from now that I am a dumbass and made the wrong decision and shoulkd have bought a 720 spider.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Capsfan. 15% is better than what I've been able to find. And yes, I'm looking at new cars. Even 15% off a 2020 is really 10% off a 2021...and I think you could get close to 10% off a new car in most cases at a dealer who wants your business. I'm getting offers at 9-11% off 2020 MSRP, which isn't enough to make me jump at a car that's already a year old.

Cargt, no, I don't think that people are so superficial to look at 60 and 1/4 mile times, but I think that if the Artura puts up numbers within a couple of ticks of the 720 with the new technology, IRIS and warranty, a leftover 720 is going to become a very hard sell. I know the value of a two year factory warranty on my 570, that's $7,900, just bought one. That's another 2-3% of purchase price on a 720 and I'm sure it costs more for that extension on the 720. I also think seeing Artura tests might make the 720 a harder sell, not necessarily because people will opt for the Artura over a 720, but they might. If not, they see how good the Artura does vs. 570 and naturally want to wait a year and see what the 720 replacement looks like. I know it's gone through my head. I've never had an issue with the suspension in my 570 feeling like it wasn't comfortable, so the trick suspension in some sense and in my mind, might be one more electronic thing to break. If I have one beef with my 570...it's that anything electronic seems to be prone to unusual gremlins and false warning lights. The one time I had an actual mechanical issue, there were no warning lights to be found.

I'm not saying my opinions are right....I'm just stating where I'm coming from.
Cmargosi, fair enough. Your logic is sound. One way or another, it is an expensive hobby.
I guess it is fair to say that with everything going on in the world, we shouldn’t forget how blessed we are that we have these problems ;)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Definitely we are blessed to have these "problems". Unfortunately it's sometimes hard for me to divorce my passion for cars from the practical side of my mind that just likes to know I'm getting a solid deal. Especially on something that costs $365 grand....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Definitely we are blessed to have these "problems". Unfortunately it's sometimes hard for me to divorce my passion for cars from the practical side of my mind that just likes to know I'm getting a solid deal. Especially on something that costs $365 grand....
I am exactly the same. I believe that attitude is what got most of us in a position to be able afford these cars.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I don't think the Arturo will cannabolize 720 sales, the 720 is in a league of its own. The Artura will compete with the 600LT and others like Porsche TTS, Roma, etc. Unless you have owned and driven a 720 you not appreciate how much car it is especially at these slightly used prices.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I don't think the Arturo will cannabolize 720 sales, the 720 is in a league of its own. The Artura will compete with the 600LT and others like Porsche TTS, Roma, etc. Unless you have owned and driven a 720 you not appreciate how much car it is especially at these slightly used prices.
You are likely correct. I haven't even driven a 720, so I'm looking at buying without ever sat in or having driven one. Perhaps I should remedy that issue at some point. One of the issues I have is that the local dealership is in the Chicago Loop, with roads that are congested even in COVID times and quite frankly littered with potholes that eat exotic cars alive at this time of year. I know the first time I drove the 570 I was sold. I can only imagine what a 720 is like.

Reactions: Capsfan
1 - 19 of 19 Posts